New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  10:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I messed this on one of the other forums. What do you guys think?
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26399

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  03:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The lawyers should have fun with page 8.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  03:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting. All of the problems listed with the VT365 have been experienced by us repeatedly. We have 22 of these buses and they are the highest cost per mile buses and the highest maintenance hours required in the fleet. I am pulling some off the road early as spares this year to try to keep from having to put so much into them. Equally amazingly is the fact that International has not fixed any of these design flaws. After the VT365 debacle, I would not let IH bid a V8 anymore, so we wound up with MaxxForceDT in 2008. Although it is a different engine from the Maxxforce 7 in the filing, ours also have "in-cyl" dosing. Our MaxxForce DT's have the same oil contamination issues mentioned in the lawsuit. They grow fuel in the crankcase oil. International has similarly NOT fixed this design flaw in our buses...although they did go to "downstream dosing" in their 2010 emissions MaxxForce DT. (Installing downstream dosing is what would be required to fix our 08's but IH would never spend the time or money!) I can't see how a corporation can ignore obvious design flaws and continue to shaft their customers and expect to continue to sell buses! It will be intersting to see if the lawsuit gets anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  11:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bassman

I can't see how a corporation can ignore obvious design flaws and continue to shaft their customers and expect to continue to sell buses! It will be interesting to see if the lawsuit gets anywhere.

Well, I would say it won't last forever. They are not only spending their EPA credits they are spending customer loyalty "credits" as well. I tell anyone who asks that the reason that IC is the top bus seller in the US is not because of quality but because when Blue Bird didn't have an IH chassis to offer the customer loyalty was with IH more than BB (and I believe the powers that be in IH knew this). I, personally, think this was a mistake by the masses. But that's only MY opinion.

To clarify to anyone reading this from IC, our district (unlike some others in our state) follow the rules when it come to bidding. I can see a day that we own another IC, it just won't be my first choice.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  7:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just think about the trucking industry. They have to be having the same issues

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  03:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have two IC buses and each time we have had them to the Dealer for warranty work they were there for a month or longer, we have had them there several times. We have a couple of backup busses so we were able to get by. I have said all along if I bought a new truck to make a living with I would be furious to have my new truck in the shop for a month for the warranty and recalls and not out on the road making me a living.
Go to Top of Page

Oldbus

4 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  06:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oldbus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is very interesting that the two schoolbus publications do not report Navistar problems? The pending ky. law suite only appears when readers make the call. I guess this is way our Publications report things today. So much for unbiased reporting. Oldbus
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  08:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oldbus

It is very interesting that the two schoolbus publications do not report Navistar problems? The pending ky. law suite only appears when readers make the call. I guess this is way our Publications report things today. So much for unbiased reporting. Oldbus

You're right there. I hate to say too much because I like the forum we are on. It would be nice to see some harder hitting news on things like this. One thing I really dislike that comes from all these twinkie makers (& I guess is just an irritant) is that the damn windows won't stay up! They all had the windows figured out years and years ago, even Carpenter made a window that stayed up. I would like to see a piece that the reporter asks what happened there.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  08:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all 3 of our new RE buses had windows falling down on one side when delivered. Don't get me started on side window plastic frames (extrusion IC calls it)constantly restocking them at $28ea. They are all under warranty but wont cover them.
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:
Originally posted by Oldbus

You're right there. I hate to say too much because I like the forum we are on. It would be nice to see some harder hitting news on things like this. One thing I really dislike that comes from all these twinkie makers (& I guess is just an irritant) is that the damn windows won't stay up! They all had the windows figured out years and years ago, even Carpenter made a window that stayed up. I would like to see a piece that the reporter asks what happened there.

Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  7:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://digitaledition.qwinc.com/publication/?i=21328&page=51&33&p=69

Lest we forget the good ol days.

Edited by - RichBusman on 08/08/2013 7:47:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2013 :  2:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBusman

http://digitaledition.qwinc.com/publication/?i=21328&page=51&33&p=69

Lest we forget the good ol days.

That's good! Only thing you have to change in your operation is to add a couple of spares so you'll have enough equipment on the road when ours is in the shop. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000