Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 98 Amtran brake warning system
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Hofer

4 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  12:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe Hofer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello folks

Working on a 98 amtran w/466. The driver complains that once per week, the brake psi light and buzzer go off even though his brakes are functioning correctly. any ideas would be appreciated. also, does anybody know where the brake module is located on this vehicle. thanks for the help

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  12:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22767&SearchTerms=brake,warning,light

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Joe Hofer

4 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  12:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe Hofer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Hofer

Hello folks

Working on a 98 amtran w/466. The driver complains that once per week, the brake psi light and buzzer go off even though his brakes are functioning correctly. any ideas would be appreciated. also, does anybody know where the brake module is located on this vehicle. thanks for the help

where exactly is the monitor module located on this vintage? thanks for the help
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  1:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all of my 98-99's had hefty issues with the brake light switches knocking themselves out of alignment, and the symptoms would be exactly what you described- dash light and buzzer on (older version Internationals had the same issues with the two switches not being synced right.)

I'd start with that. If it is like the ones I had, the arm of the switch will adjust with the brake pedal depressed and you can try moving the arm in and out til the lights come on with just the slightest pressure applied to the pedal. If the arm moves too easily, there is your problem. Put in a new switch.

We actually retrofitted a relay system in line with the stoplight switch, and switched the switch to a Ford one. I don't have access to that paperwork, so I can't help you with it, but it helped our issues.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Hofer

4 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  1:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe Hofer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the reply. 2 more quick questions, the brake light switch is underneath the bus and screws into the front plate with 3 wires to it?? 2nd: which 2 switches have to be synched??
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  09:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is factory (and like mine was,) The brake light switch is mounted right under the dash, I think to the dash (like I said, we upgraded ours, so I don't really remember exactly how they came.) It's a black box, with a white T shaped arm coming out of it. When you depress the brake pedal, it releases the switch arm, causing the lights to go on. If the driver released the brakes too quickly, or made a habit of hitting the pedal in any way when it was up, it would knock the arm out of adjustment.

We switched to a Ford switch that mounts on the brake pedal arm (where the brake booster rod connects,) and doesn't adjust. Never had a problem, other than the clevis arm that pushes into the end of the booster rod is bigger, and has to be swapped when replacing the brake booster.

the older trucks had two stop light switches right mounted right in front of the brake pedal arm: one for the stop lights, and one for the electric brake motor (for if the truck lost hydraulic brake boost.) If these two switches weren't synced, an alarm and light would go off. This new one switch system was supposed to help that, but didn't.

EDIT:
This is all assuming you have hydraulic brakes. I haven't had a truck that new with air brakes, so I have zero idea if they are set up different. :)

Edited by - eddo on 05/31/2013 09:08:38 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000