New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  10:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a 2010 EF that refuses to automatically regenerate (at least often enough to keep from filling the DPF.) it has been to the Cummins dealer and Thomas Built Dealer several times in the last 3 years. They can't fix it, I'm tired of sending it to the garage every couple months to pay them to preform a manual regen. What is the procedure to initiate a manual regen? I've pressed the manual regen button several times... it doesn't seem to do anything. Is there a step that I'm missing?

What happens with this bus, is the HEST light will come on, the bus will run really rough. It will go a few weeks (sometimes a few months) like this and then the "STOP ENGINE" light will come on, sometimes it will shut itself off, sometimes it will run long enough to pull over. If the key is shut off, and the driver waits a few minutes (most of the time) it will restart and run fine.

We have an identical bus (two vin numbers off, same year) that has been great. Hardly any problems with the after treatment system.

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 05/25/2013 10:38:41 AM

jr4wdman

13 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  2:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jr4wdman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As anybody checked the parameters in the engine ECM? These parameters can control how and when the DPF will regen while driving or parked and what the dash switches will do.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  6:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered that too. I'm not sure. They changed something the last time it was at the dealer. When the high idle switch is turned on, the turbo will spool up and down constantly, I think it is now attempting to automatically regen, but even so it has filled up twice since the last visit.

I know that when it was at Cummins they told our mechanic that the computer reads that the bus is idling 30% of the time which they feel is causing the problem. However, there is no way that bus is idling that much, I know the driver and the route really well. Her route exceeds 45mph for more than half the route, which should be fast enough to allow the DPF to regenerate.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  04:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you have the Cummins Insite Fleet version of thier soft ware you can either tell the computer that you changed a component and to reset regen which will allow a parked regen, or go to the diagnostic tests and choose regen it will show the DPF resrtiction levels and allow you to regen until the levels return to normal and then you stop the test. We have used both methods, I agree with jr4wdman we had one unit that was not programed for auto regen. You may want to turn on the idle timer and set it for say 3-5 min. and see what comes from that. You never know exactly what a driver will do no mater how often you tell them not to do it, or how much you trust them.
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  11:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a similar problem with my 2011 ISC's. My biggest cause is where we drive. Most of the fleet doesnt leave town and its a lot of hills and low speed. You need to call Thomas with the body number and ask them how the bus is set up to run a parked regen. Bus in nuetral, park brake set, high idle or normal idle, doors open or closed, a/c on or off. All of those will effect the ability to activate a parked regen. Keep in mind the engine can perform either a stationary regen or a passive regen. If you seeing a high exhaust temp light while driving it the engine is performing a passive regen. But buses are programmed to only start a passive regen with exhaust temp abouve 700 degrees and the vehicle traveling 45 mph, but a school bus is set up for the process to stop if the bus falls below 5 mph. This is to insure the bus does not regen while at a school or loading or unloading kids. The problem I have is the driver will get a light, even a regen needed displayed on the dash, but by the time it gets back to the shop it has cooled to the point it wont run a parked regen. Everything effects when the bus will need a regen. Idle time, driving route, and load conditions. Buses that run a lot of sports trips and long hauls down the highway don't have a lot of issues. So i have tried to run the crap out of the buses every 2 or 3 weeks down the highway for an hour or so and it really helped. I have Cummins software now and I run a forced regen on em at least once a month now.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  2:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll give them a call. They never had any information before. I'll try again.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000