New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimmyj

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  6:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I am in the process of getting everything ready to begin training for school bus driver with school district here in Ohio. Is there any advice some seasoned veterans can offer? I have driven a shuttle bus for many years but have never transported children. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks to all!

AmTran Fan

8 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  2:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit AmTran Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First of all, the best of luck to you. Driving a school bus is not for everyone. One thing to do right away is to make sure they know you are in charge of the bus, and there will be consequences if they break the rules. One thing I used to tell drivers that I trained, pick and choose your battles with the kids. I never worried about small infractions, I focused on the major ones like fighting, standing up while the bus is moving, make sure they remain seated until the bus stops moving, no hanging out the windows, etc. Those are just a few of the big ones you will need to worry about. Another thing you might consider is giving your students assigned seats. I always made sure my kids knew that if I was absent, and the cover driver did not seat them, if they were not in their assigned seats they would get wrote up. Once you gain control of the bus, you will start to earn the respect and trust of your students. Always make sure you are firm, fair, and consistent with each and every student, and never forget, children are the most precious cargo. Always remember to set the parking brake at each stop, and make sure your students make eye contact with you, and have a sign from you that it is safe to cross. Just because a bus has the 8 ways, a stop sign, and crossing arm, does not mean the people in the cars around the bus will have sense enough to stop. Check all mirrors very carefully before pulling away to make sure there are no children close to the bus, and make sure they all know to cross in front of the bus so you can see them!
Go to Top of Page

jimmyj

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  10:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much!
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  06:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My advice for new drivers is "Get to know your students" but not in a creepy way. Know their names and stops. Use assigned seats, it makes for a calmer bus. Have them call you Mr Lastname, not Mr Firstname. Don't give gifts/snacks except for *maybe* the last day. Make sure they know your expectations.

The more students you have, the more difficult it is. If you start the first day, by the end of the 2nd week you'll have a really good idea of how the rest of the school year will go.

Don't be afraid to ask your supervisor for help.

Smile and say "Good Morning!" to each student, even if you have to say it 30 times in a row at one stop.

Be seen in their school. If you have a few minutes after you drop them off, run inside and say hello to the front office staff.

The more you know your students, the easier it is, I promise!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000