General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 Black Hoods?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  1:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new to the website and fairly new to the wonderful world of school buses. I'm just curious about why some school buses have black hoods. I've only seen a few in my area, but on School Bus Central, School Bus Land, etc. there are some. Is there a real purpose, or they just for decor?

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  1:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoods painted flat black help to reduce glare. They're especially helpful this time of year as the sun stays lower in the sky.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  2:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I've seen these a lot but never knew their real purpose.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  2:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black hoods used to be allowed in Iowa but afaik not any longer. It is legal to order the bus with "lusterless yellow" hood to reduce glare. In our district the glossly hoods become "lusterless" soon enough as almost all sit outside in the elements.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  3:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Many states require the black hood. If you look on a new one, you'll notice that it's a flat paint, not glossy. Other states require a flat "lusterless" hood, which can be either black or yellow.
Go to Top of Page

05ICCE

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  06:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit 05ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i would love to paint my "lusterless" yellow hood that faded but I.C. will do nothing about flat black but it is not legal in VA.

Mr. Scott, "because he drives a COOL BUS"
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  1:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any particular reason why so many Minnesota buses have black front fenders too? I've seen either or on a lot of different Minnesota ones.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  1:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen a few of those. I wonder why...They look really nice with 'em though.
Go to Top of Page

schoolbusperson101

13 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  3:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbusperson101's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is a requirement in CT for all school buses to have black hoods.
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  4:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that the only state to require them? Is anybody here from a state that requires the black hoods?
Go to Top of Page

schoolbusperson101

13 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  5:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbusperson101's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CT requires them. Every single school bus that comes to my middle school, that is in the FS lot I pass, and from pictures I've seen are with black hoods. And I also know people who have said it is required in CT. I'm sure its not the only state, there must be at least 1 more to require black hoods.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  7:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matts, there's no state spec for black fenders or hoods. Some districts and contractors just like the look. Medicine Lake Lines always ordered their Blue Birds with black fenders and an extra rubrail until the last batch in '98. The idea was to make the fleet stand out a little from other operations.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  12:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone! The black hoods have been something I've always been a fan of, but I've only seen one in service here in the Midwest.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  4:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My Internationals are all yellow "lusterless" on top now with the clearcoat gone. It does make a difference with the glare. I know Hoglund used to paint their fenders black as well.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

ttotalone

1 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  6:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit ttotalone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the province of Quebec and other prvinces, the hood is black since many years, by regulation...
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  08:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was several years back but we had one bus contracter because their were several in this area paint all of his buses finders black so he could tell which were his buses when he was out and about.
Go to Top of Page

schoolbus50

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  3:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbus50's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The reason so many buses in Minnesota have black fenders is more for looks than anything else. When you combine them with chrome grilles it makes the bus look much nicer. I know Hoglund Transportation out of Monticello MN and Don's Bus service out of Albertville MN have all of thier conventional buses with black fenders and chrome grilles and the look very nice.
Go to Top of Page

AmTran Fan

8 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2013 :  10:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit AmTran Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that all buses should be required to have a white roof, 2 stop signs, a crossing arm, and a complete 8 way light system.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  09:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I personally dont care for a white roof.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  09:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C.hardy just wandering if you are in the north or southern part of the states. I live in Oklahoma and the white roof does make a temperature difference also the tented windows help.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  11:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trailboss

C.hardy just wandering if you are in the north or southern part of the states. I live in Oklahoma and the white roof does make a temperature difference also the tented windows help.

I'll second that. I don't live in the south but it helps a lot. So do the emergency/ vent hatches.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  4:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im in Va. I dont care for the looks of the white roof. I agree it makes a difference with heat I just like a yellow bus...lol. Roof hatches are fine but we have a terrible time with them leaking. Also with my aging fleet I am scared to open them in route and risk the wind cracking them.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

AllAmerican

17 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  3:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit AllAmerican's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of my bus driving friends here in GA told me chrome grilles were not allowed on school buses in the state. Sure enough, I have never seen a GA bus with a chrome grille.

Back in the late 60's and 70's, our Fords were delivered with white, or yellow grilles. I thought it was because the district wanted "cheaper" buses, and did not want to pay the extra cost for chrome. Our 84 and up Chevys also had yellow grilles, and the new IC's, and BB visions have yellow grilles as well. The new C2's were delivered with black grilles, not as attractive as the grey ones to me.

One of the drivers had a 1986 S series IH, and those grilles rusted badly on our buses. She painted the grille silver to make it look better, but when the T/D saw it, he ordered her to paint it black. I think she actually had to paint it black before she could take it back out on the road. Those S series looked ugly with black grilles in my opinion.

I also remember our 1967 GMC's with black fenders, they looked aggressive, but since then, all of our buses have had yellow fenders.

And none of our buses have black hoods.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000