New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  10:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who don't use Facebook (that would include me), I wanted to be able to share this project with you and it progresses.

I'll post updates as they happen, but for now, here ya go! Enjoy...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83gmc/sets/72157633495274224/

Yeah, I know, I'm nuts for agreeing to this.

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  11:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the photos! That's the newest bus I've seen with the old Baader Brown flasher control under the steering wheel. Please keep us posted on the progress. I'd love to try a bus restoration someday...
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  12:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks to be in great shape. Definitely worth restoring. You going tube less in the future? I always wanted to on my Carp but never did.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  3:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original column switch was very worn out and didn't spring back like it should. I got a new one from Baader Brown, which cost dearly, but well worth it!

I've already put tubeless across the back, waiting on rims for the front, already got the tires.

This thing is amazing. New brakes, chambers and so forth on the rear. The body was unclipped and new rubber installed between the frame rails and flooring. This was the former owner's mechanic's pet project.

Worst trouble so far was the air compressor. It had been passing a lot of oil and antifreeze for a long time. Got a reman on it, reman AD9 and getting the tanks flushed out slowly. Lots of oil sludge in the cooling system...CAT cleaner in there taking care of that as I type!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  6:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say is, good for you. I can not imagine restoring one of these. I would love to have one from the 30s or 40s. But to each his own. This just reminds me too much of the old Carpenters I used to hate. I was so glad to see my last one leave.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  05:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carpenter had a heavy presence in NE Ohio because of a strong dealer-client relationship, for better or for worse. I didn't have a lot of nice things to say about the three that I ran in SW Ohio, and most people didn't say anything nice about them, so I know what you mean.

This is entertaining for me, to tear it apart and say "What in the He** were they thinking?!?". I'd MUCH rather be working on a late 60s Superior...but this is a fun project.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  7:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is that bus a diesel?

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  02:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is. 8.2 turbo. Start laughing now.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  05:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 8.2 turbo wasn't a bad engine. Just hold onto your wallet if you have any trouble. The non-turbo 8.2 couldn't pull the hat off your head with an automatic trans.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  06:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it isn't my wallet to be held onto!!!!
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  4:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it. Good luck with your project!

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  2:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good luck as well! Looks like a very neat project, I can't even tell you the last time I saw one of those old GMC's on the road.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

COLT

16 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  3:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit COLT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THE BUS IS LOOKING GREAT!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000