New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  07:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting to install muffler/converters on a few AAFEs with the Cummins 5.9. I noticed immediately after the install that the exhaust smell was quite different and not as overpowering when you walk by. Anyone else upgrading? If so have you ran any test on the emissions?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  10:25:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, I thought you were going to say "I immediately began to notice the birds singing and the trees smiling". Where did the money come from to put these on, feds?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  11:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We retrofitted DOCs (diesel oxidation catalysts) to half a dozen of our T444Es in 2005-06, have never had any trouble with them. Yes the exhaust smell is differant.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  1:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

lol, I thought you were going to say "I immediately began to notice the birds singing and the trees smiling". Where did the money come from to put these on, feds?

Let's say a local refinery had a mishap. Feds came up with this as part of the fine. I love the EPA. The Magic school bus IS getting cleaned up. Get the book free here. http://epa.gov/cleanschoolbus/msb-book.htm

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  1:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's just propaganda! I wish I could read and speak German. I'll bet these type of propaganda items were prevalent in pre WWII Germany. Just sayin

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  2:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's just propaganda! I wish I could read and speak German. I'll bet these type of propaganda items were prevalent in pre WWII Germany. Just sayin

What? We ain't killing jews here, just hydrocarbons.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  2:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We put them on with EPA grant money also, I looked at it as "free" long life stainless steel mufflers. We kept the good takeoffs for use on older buses so if nothing else, we went a long time without buying any new mufflers.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 04/04/2013 2:58:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  02:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am tempted to get ahold of that book just to see how they explained the magic bus becoming "green". IF they managed to do it without any political spin, great, but I somehow doubt it.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  05:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

quote:

What? We ain't killing jews here, just hydrocarbons.

I'm just saying our scientists don't even agree that there is such a thing as global warming. So putting this kind of thing in a children's book steps over into the propaganda realm for me. Good solid information is all I'm after and I'm not getting it from the scientific community at this time. Furthermore, they are taking us (the country as a whole) down this road of hard economic times just because they "think" they are saving the planet. Yes, these economic times are partly the result of this tear to "go green".

Sorry, I try not to bring this stuff into these discussions but sometimes I can't help it. I climb down off my soap box now. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  06:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear you bwest.

However, I have a little bit different take on this. Yes, there is a great debate about the theory of man-made climate change and the cost/benefits associated with tackling it if, in fact, it does exist.

Regardless of this debate it is very true that school buses have cleaned up emissions significantly. Additionally, the use of even an old bus takes cars off the road and that helps with emissions and fuel use. Therefore, these benefits to society should be promoted in the effort to secure funds to operate and procure school buses. The industry is a good citizen and we should use that fact that to promote it.

These things are just a tool for that tool box.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  07:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Autojet 400CATCTR is the part#. Made by Caterpillar. The book was designed to educate the children. The magic school bus is all about science. I just included the link so you can order one for the grand kids. Something fun to read to them that is work related.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  07:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JRob

I hear you bwest.

However, I have a little bit different take on this. Yes, there is a great debate about the theory of man-made climate change and the cost/benefits associated with tackling it if, in fact, it does exist.

Regardless of this debate it is very true that school buses have cleaned up emissions significantly. Additionally, the use of even an old bus takes cars off the road and that helps with emissions and fuel use. Therefore, these benefits to society should be promoted in the effort to secure funds to operate and procure school buses. The industry is a good citizen and we should use that fact that to promote it.

These things are just a tool for that tool box.

I know where you are coming from. I get a little bent out of shape when "city" folks try to tell me I need to clean up my act out here in the wild green yonder (not talking about Wolf, he doesn't live in a city). I do make it to St. Louis and Chicago every once in a while and realize that something has to be done in urban areas. I don't fault anyone for trying to clean up the air in those locals. My problem is when it is painted with a broad brush. I have older buses but they run limited miles in a rural area. We don't have the tax base that urban areas have to draw money from. So we have to watch our dollars closely.
As a side bar: if the folks that run rural (for that matter any well run) school district were put in charge of "cleaning up" the budget of the state and federal governments we wouldn't have the problems we have today.

Back to the issue: While watching that dollar closely from experience I know things can be done differently in rural areas to save dollars (sacrificing safety is not one of them). So when someone is pushing the "green" agenda on me I don't bite. I know Wolf well enough that I don't think he is one to push this stuff on anyone but it just seams as if it is everywhere. I would rather the magic school bus teach about our representative republic and Roberts Rules of Order so they can be good stewards of our republic.

OK, I'm sorry I'll climb down now. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  08:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Great points, Bwest. I follow your posts and you always seem to be a good steward of the public money.

You've hit a great one. Any bus, even the older ones, save a community & individuals money because they provide a valuable service and in an extremely safe & reliable manner.

Keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  09:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JRob

Great points, Bwest. I follow your posts and you always seem to be a good steward of the public money.

You've hit a great one. Any bus, even the older ones, save a community & individuals money because they provide a valuable service and in an extremely safe & reliable manner.

Keep up the good work.

I appreciate the compliments! I don't normally get them, nor do I normally need them but it is nice to know there are those out there that appreciate what we penny pinchers are trying to do. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  09:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know when the government charlatans are pulling something it lines their pockets. I'm looking at buses that will run another 4-8 years. I will lobby for all the government help I can get to keep on working. Us rural guys get left out because we are small. As an independent contractor we don't get any government help for our route buses. I am doing these for two local school corporations. This opens the door for communication with the FED. Get the suits on the phone most are clueless to our needs and eager to help. I just feel I am doing the right thing by trying to work with our government.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  12:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got word I am going to be doing 20 more installs. Getting greener, and recycling more here in the shop. A used bus runs the route just as well.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  4:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol Rob! I just reread all our posts! We had a pretty good thread going there didn't we? lol I guess any work is good work in an independent shop. Keep on keepn' on, Rob!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  05:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wish there was a like button for this comment. LOL

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  08:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just a blue guy living in a red state. Life would be boring just following the herd. I'm not saying climate change is the fault of man. Air pollution is though. Give a hoot, don't pollute. I breathe enough crap sharing a building with a body shop.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  5:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have not purchased their propaganda book, but I can tell from the summary they have created something unsacred. They have trashed the timeline of that series. Everyone who has seen Episode 21 would know without a doubt the Magic School Bus runs on gasoline! One cylinder, carbureted, with no air filter, as a matter of fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgg52TjYLUY

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 08/06/2013 5:35:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  08:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys still trippin' about the book? LOL
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

Well, I have not purchased their propaganda book, but I can tell from the summary they have created something unsacred. They have trashed the timeline of that series. Everyone who has seen Episode 21 would know without a doubt the Magic School Bus runs on gasoline! One cylinder, carbureted, with no air filter, as a matter of fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgg52TjYLUY

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  08:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm like the Maytag repairman here when school starts back. I have to keep in contact with you guys or I might get bored to death. Discussing these issues is quite productive and educational in my opinion. You guys kick a$$.
quote:

lol Rob! I just reread all our posts! We had a pretty good thread going there didn't we? lol I guess any work is good work in an independent shop. Keep on keepn' on, Rob!!

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000