New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  07:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a guy tell me that the 8.0 will be discontinued by GM. Anyone know about this? The reason I ask is that this is the engine platform that Thomas was going to have in their propane units. I'm not sure that this engine was a general consumption unit anyway. I think it might have been an industrial. I've never heard talk of a 483 and that's what the 8.0 would be in cubes.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  06:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The information I have is that the "8.0 liter" is the GM based product, offically provided by "Powertrain Integration" and will be exclusive to Freightliner. The engine actually displaces 8.2 liter and has a 4.27" bore and 4.25" stroke.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  2:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool. I can't wait to drive one!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  07:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh good a 8.2L on the road again...lol

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Kid Grimy

12 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  09:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they don't discontinue it too soon because that is the engine that our new propane busses are going to have in them. I have a lot of first hand knowlege with the old 8.2L. The early ones had the head gasket problems and they made you pay attention to detail when setting the racks and adjusting the governors but they were a strong engine. It was hard to kill them unless you let them run away, Ha, Ha!
Kid Grimy

Kid Grimy
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  11:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it's GM/Chrysler vs Ford. Diagnostics should be fun. Do we know if this the old 8.1 or maybe a new block all together?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  12:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 8.1 was suppose to be discontinued. Kid Grimy, are you getting Thomas/ Freightshaker? I had heard they can't deliver the propane yet because they don't have all the bugs worked out. That makes me nervus. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000