Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 International Reman Engines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone have any info on Reman engines?

the IH RE bus has a 530E engine

we are looking at Jasper reman engine and a Reviva reman.

does anyone have experience with these remans positive or negative?

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  9:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen a Reviva for a few years. As I recall the ones we had were generally good.
Jasper was going 100% until the last complete engine we got. Pretty much a disaster, however they are working with us and are providing another replacement. I'm not sure what will happen to the 30-40 hours we have invested in the first engine, per their directions.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2013 :  10:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cant do an inframe?

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2013 :  2:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C.HARDY

Cant do an inframe?

We have a cracked block with coolant going into the oil.

We use to have a local company called lock and stitch that could do block repair but i don't believe they are in business anymore.

Our local IC dealer is recommending a reman
Go to Top of Page

Lazz954

1 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lazz954's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We wound up with 2 jasper engines. Worst mistake we ever made. I work for broward county school board and we go through a few engines with the talent we have behind the wheel. Severe damage , it was cheaper to get the remans so we thought. One was a cat @3126 and @3116. They both came apart with less than 1000 miles. When we removed the valve cover we found the rockers and injectors loose along with a few more items. Looks like they put it all together with an air ratchet. Customer service is just as good as the engine. We no longer use jasper.
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  10:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just pulled the trigger on the Reviva reman.

The Jasper was about $1400 cheaper but the Reviva reman was recommended by our dealer. so I figured with future warranty issues the Reviva would be a better choice.

Thank you for the insight on this thread it made it an easier decision
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  6:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yah Im not crazy about Jasper either....I'd say you made a good call

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  11:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got good news from the dealership today and they were having some troubles getting the Reviva engine for us and gave us a IC reman for the price of the Reviva
Go to Top of Page

05ICCE

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  2:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit 05ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we had an engine damaged in an accident in the spring of 2012. insurance replaced it with an International reman. we have had no problems with it after one year.

Mr. Scott, "because he drives a COOL BUS"
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  06:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are sure its a cracked block? Not a liner O-ring leaking? Jasper I do not care for. They want to pay you some low labor rate that no one in their right mind would work for for warranty work. Just not a fan.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  07:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea we looked into that most of our buses have already been updated with the new liner orings. Its leaking from a different location than the normal liner leak.
quote:
Originally posted by sambrutay

They are sure its a cracked block? Not a liner O-ring leaking? Jasper I do not care for. They want to pay you some low labor rate that no one in their right mind would work for for warranty work. Just not a fan.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  08:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus a groove

They want to pay you some low labor rate that no one in their right mind would work for for warranty work. Just not a fan.

[/quote]

Isn't that the truth! Been a while since I had to re-do an engine replacement. You are normally pissed off when you're doing it anyway, then to be kicked while you're down by being paid less it not a good situation.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000