New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  6:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys,

Our head mechanic & parts manager asked me if I had heard anything about "Gorilla Brakes" on here. I had told them I never heard of such a thing but thought I'd throw this out there.

Apparently there is a company here in Canada called GB&C INC. (Gorilla Brakes) in Brantford, Ontario that makes a sever duty 23,000-lb brake lining that has kevlar fibers built into them, and leave a special lubricating film on the drums of the bus that are suppose to stop the screech of braking and reduce heat.

Here is a link to an article on "Today's Trucking" about them.

http://www.todaystrucking.com/severe-duty-friction

& The company site:

http://www.gbandcinc.com/

Has anybody heard anything about these products? If so, what do you think? Our head mechanic had seen a booth for these guys at a recent show a few weeks ago, but didn't really ask any questions. He just took one of their flyers back.

What has us here puzzled is how can any film left on the drums be a good thing?

PS: We run with air brakes here.

Edited by - 1983ChevroletWayne on 03/31/2013 2:26:53 PM

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  04:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We tried somthing similar Cohesive Friction from Carlisle, the shoes coated the drums and offerd a quieter brake noise. but when the units sat for an extended time over the summer. We had to pry the shoes off the drums often splitting the lining in two, and had to use an air scraper to salvage the drum. Might be a good idea if you ran the unit all the time and never let it set for more than a weekend.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  09:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our hyd. disk brakes squeak very little now. The sound is coming from where the backing of the pad contacts the caliper. I lube the surface of the caliper on the opposite side of the pistons and use a piston cushion from NAPA on the pistons. This has quieted all of them except when they get a rock behind the tab.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  10:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard of them. We're using a product from NAPA on our 4715 front shoes called HD Plus Ceramics - p/n we're running is 084U90-6N, which is a 20K shoe kit with hardware. Less drum wear (we were getting less than half shoe wear on a set of drums) and noise.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  11:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a guy ask me if school buses were suppose to squeak like that to warn motorists. I couldn't stop laughing!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  1:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought they were up until a little while ago.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000