Warn engine light flickers & engine stalls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  12:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a 96 International 3800 with the T444E that came in for an intermittent problem of it wont crank & a rough idle. After pulling DTCs I cleared the codes and now the WARN ENGINE light flickers and, sure enough, the engine will not crank. I can hear the relay clicking but nothing else. After messing with a few things, the dash lights flashed like it was exiting the diagnostic mode and the WARN ENGINE light went out. I could hear the noticable difference in the brake press warning alarm when it did this. Then I was able to start the bus momentarily. The engine did not idle very well and stalled after about 10-15 seconds. While the engine was running, the WARN ENGINE light came on and flickered & the engine stalled. I cant find any rhyme or reason as to why the WARN ENGINE light is doing this or what the problem is. It flickers really fast and will not allow the engine to be cranked or continue running. I cleared the DTCs by pushing the diagnostic button then turning the ignition key on, then pressing the throttle pedal to the floor 3 times & then releasing the button. The DTCs that I got initally were: 224, 615, 622. Anyone got any ideas on this one? Thanks guys!

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  1:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
224 Code Desc. : KAM Corrupt, Comments: KAM memory supply voltage lost. Possible cause: No battery voltage at to ECM, terminal one.
615,Code Desc. Programable parameter KAM corrupt fault, Comments: Kam memory defective Possible cause:Interupted KAM powersupply or defective ECM.
622 Code Desc.Engine using field default rating, Comments:Engine limited to 150 hp option not available. Possible cause:VPM not programing ECM, check other codes.

I'd say it's time to start looking at the electrical system. Start at the battery and work your way forward. Look real hard at the fuse in the battery box and your connectors. Don't overlook the condition of the batteries themselves. There are also connectors close to the oil filter, make sure they are clean and you have no pins that are pushed back.
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  1:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've looked at the fuses in the battery box already & they are secured in the holsters really well. They are sealed with dielectric grease & not burnt. There is only 1 battery in the bus & it load tests out fine. In talking with the driver, he states that it will run down the road fine but then the WARN ENGINE light will flicker & the engine will skip or misfire & "backfire" (his words). I experienced the misfire in the shop 1 time when it was idling & skipped for a second. Thats when the light came on for a second & then the engine died. It sounds like an electrical short or problem somewhere in the system. I will look at the wiring harnesses underneath on Monday. Aren't the harnesses underneath by the oil filter for the transmission? I'm not aware of any wiring harnesses for engine controls down by the oil filter. I know the main harnesses from the battery box run underneath & will take a look at them on Monday s well.

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  2:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One battery, is it 3D or 8D ? Guess I've never seen one with just one battery. The ones here have at least 2 batteries usually group 31's, and some have three.

Not sure about if the connector by the oil filter has anything to do with the transmission, but I know it has to do with making the engine run. Heck it's got multiple wires, could be both?

There is also connectors that run with the main battery cables, usually back about where the main battery cables turn right to go to the starter.

Check your main loom as it goes up over the front of the engine. I've seen those rub on the studs that hold the loom in place. Then there is the connectors on the ECM, if you live in the rust belt like me anything goes. The loom also makes a pretty good turn behind the Alternator good rubbing spot.
Go to Top of Page

ic0730

18 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  7:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit ic0730's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we have one 2006 fe300 that the (wait to start light) comes on like normal but it wont start still sitting in lot don't no what to do

Edited by - ic0730 on 03/02/2013 10:50:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  03:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its an 8D battery and, yes I am in the rust belt of MN

Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  04:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC0730 Does it turn over? What engine?

Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  04:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have a bad spot in you ecm power supply wires coming from the batt box, check voltage at the relays on the firewall.
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  04:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine or ic0730?

Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  06:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys I found it, it was a wire rubbed through by the oil filter. Thanks for the awesome advice!!

Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  09:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good deal, alls well, that ends well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000