Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2009 Vision No illumination in instrument cluster
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Porter

4 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  07:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Porter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello: Has anybody had a Blue Bird Vision that has an instrument cluster that will not light up ? I have used the computer input to check that the backlight was on. Everything works on the gauges.There is voltage to the blue illumination wire. The other lights on the side panels work and the rheostat will dim the lights.

Any ideas.

Thanks, Bill

Thanks for the post, located both controls still no lights.
Thanks,
Bill

Edited by - Bill Porter on 11/21/2012 2:28:55 PM

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  12:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My 09's have 2 rheostats, 1 to dim the side panel(on the side panel) and 1 to dim the instrument cluster (on the left side by the 4 way and H/L switch).
Not trying to be an A##. Just saying, because you say your rheostat will dim the lights and I have had drivers complain about illumination on either the side panel or the dash not working. Telling me they had no dash lights what so ever. walk out to bus and find one of the dimmers all the way down, and driver not realizing there were 2 of them.

Otherwise the dashes have been trouble free so far, only dash/gauge problem I have had is the air gauge senders behind dash going bad and not reading correct air pressure.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  2:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, there are two rheostats, but if you have the Actia all-in-one cluster, there is yet a third brightness setting. Get into the regular dash menu (left button) and scroll down. Change the color too if you really want to freak out the driver.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  04:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
good pt! partsman, Isn't that setting suppose to be for night driving? makes the main part black and the letters/numbers amber. instead of a glaring amber center and black letters/numbers.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  05:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

Change the color too if you really want to freak out the driver.

Hmmm...I know what I'm going to do today!
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  12:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

good pt! partsman, Isn't that setting suppose to be for night driving? makes the main part black and the letters/numbers amber. instead of a glaring amber center and black letters/numbers.

On the newer Actia single-panel dashboards, it lights up the white markings for all 7 gauges when you have the headlights on (which we require our drivers to do). It is mostly for nighttime, but you can see them in the day. Not sure which panel you're referring to.

When you get into the menu, you will also see a setting for "Contrast". This relates to the center information LCD, where it tells you voltage, odometer, and that all-important DEF level. Crank it too high, and there are funky lines through your display; too low, and the readings disappear.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Bill Porter

4 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  10:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Porter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Problem Solved: $1200.00 CAD I checked the harness into the cluster and verified that there was no power coming from the rheostat. A replacement cluster was ordered from Blue Bird and took about three months to arrive from Mexico to Canada. If I was faced with the same problem again I might attempt to try an electronics technician and see if a repair could be made. This unit was a 2008 Blue Bird model powered with propane. A secondary problem was solved as this unit also did not have functioning Day Time Running Lights. Thank You all for the input. Bill Porter. AB, Canada
Go to Top of Page

Bill Porter

4 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  10:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Porter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correction: There was power to the cluster(Blue Wire). Actia Brand
Bill
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  1:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No intent to thread jack here but I feel this is better than making another thread. Plus I believe Bill has his bus fixed.
I have a 2008 with a similar problem. Only 1/2 of the lcd will light up when you first start the bus. When the bus warms up the display will come back full. Unplug the harness and reconnect it will come back on. I substituted a cluster and the problem disappeared. I had to put the OEM cluster back in and it still randomly happens. I have had it apart and do not see any cold solder joints. Is the LCD available separate?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  03:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't believe so, I had to replace a cluster once because when it had low air the red lights lit and the Lcd had the low air symbol but the alarm didn't sound. Warranty covered but $$$$ our cost was like 800.00 til reimbursement.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000