Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  03:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody ever done it?

I'm about fed up with air system problems, the cute little air dryers just aren't getting the job done for us. I'm spec'ing AD9 on new buses, but how bad a job would switching out all the baby air dyers on my TC's and AA's be?

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  12:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So what kind of problems are you having with the ADIP's? I have 32 out of 36 buses with the ADIP's on them seem to work fine in the middle of MI for me.

or are you speaking of the ADSP that was a smaller unit?

As far as swapping back to a AD9 from a ADIP, I can't see where you'd have a problem doing it there basically the same size.
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  12:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a big deal conceptually. The biggest challenge will be bracketry and mounting points. That challenge is primarily dependant upon ones' familiarity with their drills and angle iron stock.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  4:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have mostly ADIP, but some ADSPs also. This part of the state is very humid for a few geographical reasons. These buses suck on fog quite a few mornings, that certainly doesn't help.

My issue is that I can go onto the lot, pick any bus with an ADxx, and dump the wet tank...anywhere from one to two pints of water will come gushing out. But the old beasts with the AD-9 only dump out the minimal little bit I am used to seeing. Changing cartridges seems to make no difference.

Last place I worked, I can count on one hand how many air system freeze ups I had. In one year here, I'd have to take off my boots and then some!

I just sent out a 2003 TC2000 to have the compressor replaced (passing a lot of oil), am having the dealer do an AD9 conversion while they are at it and planning to duplicate the mounting they use. We have plenty of angle iron and a welder :)
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  5:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All but two of my small fleet are AD-9s. The other two are Midlands. I've been dealing with Bendix air driers since they first came out in the 70's and the AD-9s are the best.
Conversion, as pointed out in a previous post, all comes down to mounting.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  06:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BB sells all the brackets for a AD9, the holes are probably already there to mount it. I have installed several that BB forgot to put on during assembly. :) No drilling or welding required. Bring them down here I'll do all of them for ya cheap.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 10/30/2012 06:43:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  2:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$20/bus and you have a deal! haha

Thanks for the info....I have no clue why it never occurred to me to look in the the parts manual for a hanger...I must be distracted by having to close school for a snow hurricane.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000