Enter Forum: General Interest
 Thomas C2 with a CAT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbuilt_547

23 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  4:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have an older C2 with a CAT C7? Pros? Cons? Love? Hate?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  03:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where I used to work, there is one. I think it's titled as an 08 or 09, built in late 05, full size, rear lift, complete POS bus. I will say that when it works, it runs GREAT though.

It's had a lot of injector problems (imagine that). It's had even more body/chassis electrical problems (imagine that). Don't get me started on the AMU over the rear axle.

The best advice I can give on this type of bus, don't try to rush it because it freaks out if you do. Push on brake pedal...wait...push "D" on keypad...wait...push in parking brake...wait...hear air dumping...pull brake knob...wait...push brake knob in again...wait...NOW you may go.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 09/20/2012 03:46:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbuilt_547

23 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  06:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we had one for my high school last year that ran well. Well, aside from the poor maintenance and sketchy repairs. it was a hard runner. I consider buying a thomas with either the Cat C7, Mercedes, or Cummins 5.9L. Just trying to find the best for my buck

All I need is my Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  09:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are going to buy a C2, the 6.7 Cummins is the ONLY way to go (and all you can get now).

Seeing first hand a Mercedes FAIL with less that 100K on the odometer, and others exhibiting same symptoms has shown me the light.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbuilt_547

23 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  3:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, I've heard nothing but good about Cummins so far but lacking in power compared to the Cats. Though Cat are very costly maintenance wise and as mention have their share of problems. Anything about an FS65 that would be any different?

All I need is my Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2012 :  02:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as the Caterpillar is concerned or overall bus?

I really, really liked the FS65 product overall. What is sad to see is that at or around 160,000 miles, the 3126 and C7 engines are laying down on. That is a hard pill to swallow when you are used to seeing an i6 diesel engine last 300K+ without being touched.

I am waiting on my new bus to get here, 84 passenger FE with a 6.7 @ 250HP with a 3000 series allison behind it. I am thinking it won't be lacking for power!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbuilt_547

23 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2012 :  04:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mainly the engines that go into them.

***** to see those cats giving up so soon.

And i meant before about the 5.9 i know those 6.7 can pull somethig serious haha

All I need is my Thomas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000