Eaton Ultrashift
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  09:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
With the rising cost of fuel, does anyone know of any bus manufacturer who is considering offering autoshift transmissions such as the Eaton Ultrashift? They are extremely reliable, and save a good bit on fuel. They are just as easy to operate as any automatic transmission. I've driven many medium duty international trucks with this transmission, and I think the school bus market would be ideal for it.

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  3:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only thing I know in the cut-fuel cost department are Hybrid School Buses and Buses that will use propane as an alternative fuel and the use of alternative fuels such as Bio-Diesel and a new diesel blend made of Soy seed oil+ Diesel.

But I did not know an auto-shift transmission will help save some MPGs....

Why fuel makers did not make a research to produce a better and more durable fuel...They leave all to the Engine manufacturesrs....

What will come in the future... Long-Block 4 and 5 cylinder Diesels ?

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  4:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How do you know that? Somehow, I don't think that's true. I'm SURE that Mercedes transmissions will be offered, as well as the possibility of the Ultrashift.

=
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  7:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by truck451

Only Allisons will always be offered.

What about the Caterpillar CX28 ?

http://ohe.cat.com/cda/files/596112/7/LEDT7061%20-%203410%20School%20Bus%20Brochure_GAF%207.18.07.pdf

http://ohe.cat.com/cda/components/fullArticleNoNav?ids=288936&languageId=7

Robert B.

Edited by - 78fordwayne on 11/13/2007 8:03:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  12:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wanna see one of these brochures come true! We always hear all this talk, and it gets us excited! I dont know if I'm more excited about the new transmission option, or the new Blue Bird door on the standard conventional body!

=
Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  4:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 78fordwayne

What about the Caterpillar CX28 ?

http://ohe.cat.com/cda/files/596112/7/LEDT7061%20-%203410%20School%20Bus%20Brochure_GAF%207.18.07.pdf

http://ohe.cat.com/cda/components/fullArticleNoNav?ids=288936&languageId=7

Now I think thats a definite possibility, especially in Blue Birds, since their the only buses offering Cat engines. When I first heard of these Cat autos over a year ago, I couldn't wait until they hit production, but I haven't heard of any in use yet.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  4:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've driven MCI 4500's with similar transmissions. The auto-shift transmissions are great, and I've been told are more like a standard transmission that had similarities to automatics. They are often cheaper than automatic transmissions and do offer fuel mileage similar to a standard transmission. There are some that actually do have a clutch pedal that you have to use to start in first gear and some that do not. The only negative is that they do have a roll-back on start that could be a safety issue on a school bus- but it would be no different than a standard shift.
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  10:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about the ZF Astronic transmission? If so, I've ridden a few MCIs with them. I enjoy the ZF very much! I know the ZF causes a little roll back, like you said.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2012 :  08:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The ZF Astronic is becoming popular in motorcoach applications. I've been itching to drive one for a while to see what it feels like, but so far I can only judge them by what I've heard from other drivers. Everyone I've talked to either absolutely loves them or hates them with a passion, there's no in-between (the drivers who love them are the ones who know how to drive a manual, for the record). You have to think about how it's shifting while you're driving, and understand how the transmission works - the drivers who want to just put it in D and go are better off with an Allison.

The ZF has an anti-rollback feature, but a lot of drivers don't know how to use it. When at a complete stop, the ZF will keep the front brakes applied after you take your foot off the brake, until you accelerate. Drivers don't always realize, however, that it's only the front brakes that are staying on. Many of us like to make a smooth, gradual stop (especially when facing uphill), and only apply as much pressure to the brakes as needed to stop the bus. The problem is, that amount of pressure will hold the bus with all the brakes applied, but may not be enough to hold it with the front brakes only. To use the anti-rollback feature, you need to make a full brake application before taking off.

Long story short, a transmission like that would probably be good in a school bus application, but the important thing is making sure that drivers are given good training in its operation.
Go to Top of Page

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2012 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly don't remember what brand or model the transmissions were. I remember them being interesting to get used to because I typically allow my momentum to help me turn corners. With the auto-shift, the transmission would downshift right as I turned. I definitely got everyone's attention the first few corners I turned!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000