New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  09:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to start by saying this probably belongs on the management side of this forum but I think techs. have a much better perspective on things than management anyway. That being said I am wondering how you guys keep records on your units. I keep a book with all work done, not down to the light bulb, but any work done that takes over 15 minutes lets say. I am thinking of making a form up that I can get a little more detailed with so if there are questions I will know what is going on, right down to the light bulb. Used to I could tell you exactly what I did on each unit years and years after I did it. Not so any more, the older I get the harder it becomes. I am forever trying to do things better & I am looking to do just that with this question.

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  10:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Using Diamond connections solutions for records parts repairs and pms with a paper file backup.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  10:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I suppose it depends on how large your fleet is what you do to track repairs, when I first started here 8 1/2 yrs ago everything was written and recorded then put in a three ring binder for that particular unit. needless to say very labor intense and doesn't take long to build quite a library.

I've got a good feet software program now, it was here when I started but wasn't being used, that as long as I enter all parts and info correctly when repairs are made and bus is fueled. It tracks mileage and sends maintenance reminders and puts yellow flag on file when bus is coming due or red when overdue for pm or whatever maintenance wanted as program was customizable to fleets needs. I think it works well as I can log in, open any bus file I want to look at, due a search and in a few seconds see the last time, date and miles a particular part was installed be it PM's, tires, brakes or a headlamp with out having to look through a whole bunch of papers and you know, Save a Tree. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  11:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Napa Tracs as they have me down as a service center. I get to use it since I buy lots of parts. Most of my usual labor ops are already there. I can add recommended service, see history etc.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  11:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We run a fleet software package same as slippert. We used to do all the records on paper and put them in the bus file now only the paper copies of sublet work goes in the file after recording on an electronic w/o. The software tell what parts are getting low ect. also has an area for the drivers to request work to be done.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  12:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Versatrans Fleetvision, and keep any service hard copies in a bus file. 300 vehicles, w/145 buses.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  6:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A program called VersaTrans which is linked between the district and the place that repairs our out of warranty buses. New York Bus Sales keeps all warranty related repairs on their system (obviously) My district runs 28 buses

My place of work uses excel to keep data on their computers. Very inefficient in my opinion.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  04:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We run a big software package called FleetFocus that tracks everything we need it to (and could do far more if we wanted it to!). It's the only way to keep up with large numbers of vehicles. We have 113 buses 121 trucks 30 staff cars and all the tractors and grounds equipment out at 54 different school locations. We also use an auto fuel system which controls fuel and then imports all data to the fleet program.
Go to Top of Page

turbine

United States
49 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  04:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use Dolphin Fleet Management program.It has been working good for us. All work orders all parts/inventory stored in the data base.It took some time to set it up but it sure makes looking up bus maint history/tracking parts/fuel/setting up automatic Pm schedules easy. 73 buses + all the other district vehicles are loaded in.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  05:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the Fastback Longhand program. Too small of fleet, too old to change. 15 buses, 12 cars/vans/Suburbans/pickups

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  10:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is that ^^^ available on cd-rom? LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  12:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^Or 8-Track?^^
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  12:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

^^^Or 8-Track?^^

LOL

I long to inhale the smell of papers fresh from the mimeograph machine, oh the blue printing, oh the aroma, oh the 60s........

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  1:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have this Rizzo machine (or somthing like that), it's a modern day mimeograph...drop by for a sniff anytime!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  1:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!! You guys are a hoot! I appreciate the input. I have a comparable fleet to fastback. 17 buses, two trucks, a white bus, a driver ed car, & various engine driven equipment on one campus (pre-k through 8). I can't see getting a software program unless they price them based on size of fleet. I would love to learn how (I'm never going to be that old, lol). I think if I just made up some kind of work order template and kept a file on each unit that would give me the information I need. What does your work order look like Fastback?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  1:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use a software package from Edulog which has a parts and service component called FleetPro. FleetPro is an old Unix-type program which will probably migrate to a web-based system soon. The software package includes routing and active GPS components which our administrator loves.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Yardmonkey

9 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  2:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yardmonkey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My programe of choice is Asset manager, not designed for School Bus but I keep records of all service and parts, mech who worked on it. with a printable report on any unit. running 40 units and 13 in a satalite yard to date.
Go to Top of Page

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  2:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
partsman_ba do you know what Modules you have activated with Edulog Fleetpro and an approximate cost to your annual license? I run EdulogNT for routing and was just looking at Fleetpro on their website. Though i'm not the mechanic we need to move to a more modern record keeping system for bus maintenance where there is some accountability on work being done or at least expected to be done.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  11:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the "Launch Pad" screen, we have Personnel, Reports, Vehicles, Maintenance Requests, Request Review, Work Orders, Parts/Materials, Fuel/Lubrication and Inventory Requests. The three I see that are not active are Assets, Zonar Tracking and Tire Tracking. I don't know the license cost but I can email my sales rep and get back to you.

Go to Top of Page

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  4:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can call product support. I just wasn't sure if you knew a cost or not. Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  2:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbine

We use Dolphin Fleet Management program.It has been working good for us. All work orders all parts/inventory stored in the data base.It took some time to set it up but it sure makes looking up bus maint history/tracking parts/fuel/setting up automatic Pm schedules easy. 73 buses + all the other district vehicles are loaded in.

I got a demo cd from them. The program worked pretty good till expired. :( I tried to talk management into getting it when we had the dealership. Also Fleet Maintenance Pro is good but it's a demo too.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  4:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carp_26

I can call product support. I just wasn't sure if you knew a cost or not. Thanks for the info.

Don't see an invoice in our files, so it must get paid downtown. Ask them about the web-based version as well. We have FleetPro 2000 Plus.

Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  5:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We use Mitchell on Demands Manager program. We use the Mitchell on Demand information system also as we use it on support vehicles. It will crunch the numbers for you to know where the dollars are going pretty well. We can also take in any automotive work we want to the way we are set up, but we usually only work on employees' cars.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

gmacdougall

2 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  07:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit gmacdougall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are using an asset management program-it generates work orders and tracks parts inventory & purchasing as well as asset profiles. it has been working well for last 7 years-however data is only as good as the writer-still GIGO...if records are kept by one person the quality id more likely to be consistant. We have had to go back for research on several buses and this system has been a god-send, memories fail but computers go on forever.
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I want to start by saying this probably belongs on the management side of this forum but I think techs. have a much better perspective on things than management anyway. That being said I am wondering how you guys keep records on your units. I keep a book with all work done, not down to the light bulb, but any work done that takes over 15 minutes lets say. I am thinking of making a form up that I can get a little more detailed with so if there are questions I will know what is going on, right down to the light bulb. Used to I could tell you exactly what I did on each unit years and years after I did it. Not so any more, the older I get the harder it becomes. I am forever trying to do things better & I am looking to do just that with this question.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000