New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  4:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know there are some of you out there that have bought an older bus for the sake of the enthusiast in you. haha, what do you do with them? Can you drive them if you don't have a CDL? I am thinking of probably buying an older bus in the future, but I have no idea what to do with it, I would like to keep it "bus-like" and maybe use it for a road trip vehicle, but I don't know. I just want to hear what others do.

bigredmachine

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  7:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always wanted to own a bus as well (along with my many other interests). I think that realistically I would need to have some land, or at least a large yard in order to own one without having to store it elsewhere. Like you, I would prefer to keep it as "bus-like" as possible, but at least in Ohio you need to change the color from yellow unless it is a church bus, and you need to take out enough seats to make it less than a 14 pass. vehicle unless you get a CDL. As long as you have the space, I don't think owning a bus is an outrageous idea..they are inexpensive, great for storage, and something you are interested in. Heck, its not like you even ever have to drive it off your property.

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  8:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have mine registered as a camper, and you don't need a CDL to drive it anymore since it's registered as a camper. I have most the seats removed, and CT requires the bus to be painted something other than school bus yellow, hence the paint job. Ideally I would have liked to have kept it yellow, but I got it painted to get it on the road. I don't have a property to park it on, but I've always found places to put it. I'm not about to let that minor glitch get in the way of having a bus.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  9:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like that paint scheme though. I wonder if you can get around the "no school bus yellow" by painting it a different shade of yellow. What do you do with it though?

My School Bus Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tyler_officer/
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  11:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know I'm always the person who brings out the bad news but you would really need to think about purchasing a bus before you do it. Bus ownership may sound cool, but there are a lot of fees associated with owning/ maintaining a bus.

First, I would find out what your state requires with operating buses. If its titled as a school bus, you're going to have to have a CDL to operate it. I think some states have an exemption if the bus is below a certain capacity (like 15 including the passenger), but I don't know much about that. Secondly, titling it as a motor-home varies from state to state. Some states are extremely lenient with this, to my understanding. However, I do believe a majority of the states require you to fully paint the bus a color other than yellow. You may get away with orange, but the purpose behind the law is so that the bus cannot be mistaken for a school bus in service and transport school passengers (since its no longer titled as a school bus). More than likely the state will also want you to remove most of the seats, deactivate warning lights and remove the stop arm as well. I've even heard some states require the bus to actually have some aspects of a motor home as well (i.e. bed, toilet, etc). Again, I don't know this as a fact but I remember reading it on another message board.

Another factor you will have to look at is expenses. Getting insurance to operate a bus is going to be pretty expensive, especially if you are younger. You also have to look at fuel, which diesel prices are going up (like the rest of gas) and a bus only gets on average 6 to 10 MPG.

If you are willing to face these challenges and you have the money to invest in it, go for it. I plan on owning a bus myself someday, but probably not for a while.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!

Edited by - Jake on 02/28/2012 11:19:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  12:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't do too much with my bus. When we have get-togethers with the other CT area bus fans, I'll drive the bus. I try to get it on the road at least once a month to keep it going. It's just nice to have. My bus is actually still titled as a bus, but registered as a camper. Most people at the DMV are clueless as to what to do with registration on a bus. My last bus I ended up keeping yellow and running with Farm plates. Probably not too legal, but hey, they gave me plates so I ran with them. Insurance runs me about $800/year on the "camper". GMAC is your best bet for insuring school bus conversions. Repairs can be expensive, so I'd recommend buying an old mechanical International DT engine. All my buses have had DTA360's and they've been great. My bus is due for a new exhaust system, but other than that, all I've done to it over the last 5 years mechanically is replace the front two air cans (actually Schoolbus56 did that for me lol). Rust is your worst enemy... check over any bus to make sure it doesn't have serious rust issues before buying it.

Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  3:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jake

I know I'm always the person who brings out the bad news but you would really need to think about purchasing a bus before you do it. Bus ownership may sound cool, but there are a lot of fees associated with owning/ maintaining a bus.

First, I would find out what your state requires with operating buses. If its titled as a school bus, you're going to have to have a CDL to operate it. I think some states have an exemption if the bus is below a certain capacity (like 15 including the passenger), but I don't know much about that. Secondly, titling it as a motor-home varies from state to state. Some states are extremely lenient with this, to my understanding. However, I do believe a majority of the states require you to fully paint the bus a color other than yellow. You may get away with orange, but the purpose behind the law is so that the bus cannot be mistaken for a school bus in service and transport school passengers (since its no longer titled as a school bus). More than likely the state will also want you to remove most of the seats, deactivate warning lights and remove the stop arm as well. I've even heard some states require the bus to actually have some aspects of a motor home as well (i.e. bed, toilet, etc). Again, I don't know this as a fact but I remember reading it on another message board.

Another factor you will have to look at is expenses. Getting insurance to operate a bus is going to be pretty expensive, especially if you are younger. You also have to look at fuel, which diesel prices are going up (like the rest of gas) and a bus only gets on average 6 to 10 MPG.

If you are willing to face these challenges and you have the money to invest in it, go for it. I plan on owning a bus myself someday, but probably not for a while.

Yes, very understandable, I'm not planning on anytime this year, within several years, or i I really get a good opportunity at a great buy, or something. About the warning lights and stop arm, though, I have no idea what my state would want for that, but how can they say anything if the stop arm doesn't say "STOP" or the warning lights aren't amber and red? If you change them out to clear and paint the sign a certain color, would that be alright? I would still like to know that all the functions of the bus still work, or it's just not a school bus anymore.

I'm stealing a photo from your site, Jake.

That is what I would want. A nice TC and it doesn't have to be the full length. How come this one has normal bus warning lights, but no stop arm or anything?

BBInt.10 - Makes sense, it is just cool to have. I know it would be good on road trips, or maybe even for moving. Do you have any other photos of it at all?

Edited by - 08BBVision on 02/28/2012 3:54:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  4:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 08BBVision
About the warning lights and stop arm, though, I have no idea what my state would want for that, but how can they say anything if the stop arm doesn't say "STOP" or the warning lights aren't amber and red? If you change them out to clear and paint the sign a certain color, would that be alright? I would still like to know that all the functions of the bus still work, or it's just not a school bus anymore.

I don't really know. It's something you would have to inquire with at your DMV when registering the bus. The states that require them removed/ deactivated clearly say that in their law and I would assume that if they weren't removed/ deactivated, that they could possibly refuse to title your bus. I'm sure there are exceptions, but you would have to treat this the same as making modifications to a car or another vehicle. Since it's no longer registered as a school bus, they wouldn't want it to have school bus lights (which if activated could confuse/disrupt traffic). I know you probably wouldn't do that, but you couldn't prove that to the DMV.
Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  5:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unless you wired them as clearance lights. heheh.

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  6:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless you wired them as clearance lights. heheh.

Unless you replaced the bulbs with smaller, non circular ones, i doubt they would allow you to do that.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  6:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003353381992&sk=photos

There's pictures of all the buses I've owned on my Facebook page. The yellow mini bus now resides in Guatemala, and the tan and green Ward is now in Haiti.

Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  6:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice photos! Love that bus, that's one bus I have not ever seen in person, Blue Bird International. Do you purchase them from your local district? I'd love to have my childhood Blue Bird AAFE.

Edited by - 08BBVision on 02/28/2012 6:27:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  8:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My first bus, the Ward, was an Ebay find. Not something I'd recommend doing. It's always best to see the vehicle first before buying it. The second bus, #46, was purchased at a 422 auction. Check out www.422sales.com. I think that's an excellent source for a used school bus. My company sends at lot our our used vehicles to 422 auctions to get rid of them. At a 422 auction, you get to hear the bus run, and check it out as much as you like before the sale. You can often get good deals at these auctions. #41, the bus I currently own, I bought direct from my employer. It was 1 of 4 buses we had as spares during the '06-'07 school year. All were '93 Blue Bird Internationals with the DTA360 and air brakes, 71 passenger size. #42 was its exact sister, while 43 and 44 were slightly different... they had two emergency exit windows on each side (41 and 42 have no emergency exit windows). 41 and 42 had nice power to them, but 43 and 44 were dogs. 42 was very hard starting in the cold, but 41 always fires right up even when it's cold out. See my cold start videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/grnthmb55?feature=guide#p/a/u/1/xp8am3VkaBk
http://www.youtube.com/user/grnthmb55?feature=guide#p/u/12/FhKHDC1RU3Y
So I chose 41, even though the body was in the roughest shape of the 4 of them. I've since had the dash professionally restored as well as the exterior.
Check out the rest of my Youtube channel for more bus videos... I've got a nice walk-around video of the grey bus, as well as some driving videos of both my Blue Birds.

Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  9:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That Ward was a cool little bus, but ya, I wouldn't buy a vehicle off of eBay, haha. 422 has some nice ones for sale, I will have to keep that in mind when I can buy one. I would like a Blue Bird transit, but any of my school Districts buses would work, or a Thomas transit. Maybe by when the time comes I can find a 2005 IC CE for a decent price, I would like it to be 64 passenger or less though.

Edited by - 08BBVision on 02/28/2012 11:59:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  04:28:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I never actually thought I'd buy a school bus. I knew I had an obsession for the ones that I rode to school back in the late 80s early 90s but also knew that they had long been retired by the end of the last century. One day I was looking around the internet for bus pics and found one from our old fleet down in Washington DC. I could make out the phone number on the side and called the charter company that owned it. Long story short - they sold it to me. Now 3 years later I've put a bit of mechanical work into her, built a temporary garage (next year i am building a 30x44x12 pole barn shop for her), transformed the rear half of the interior into a mild party bus and started repainting one side so far. I, like some of you, want to keep her looking as original as possible (though with minor modern updates such as LED lights etc). I know the school bus yellow/black paint job is not allowed but so far I've been able to avoid any trouble. I really dont drive her all that much. During football season I taker her down to the Ravens games but that is about as high profile as she gets. As for tags/insuring - a state trooper actually gave me the advice to register her as an historic vehicle. This will get her out of any and all inspections as well as eliminating the confusing mess of whether its a "bus" or a "truck" etc.. Its insured by State Farm currently just as a 1987 Chevy.

Here she sits in the oddly warm winter weather we are having:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  06:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Jared, do you have to have a CDL to drive your bus with that title? Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  06:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Jared, do you have to have a CDL to drive your bus with that title? Just curious.

Oh good question: No I do not. Yes I have air brakes, but since its registered as historic and is below 26,000 GVWR, no CDL is required.

Two side note questions:
1.) Does there come a time in the age of a school bus when no one cares about enforcing the school bus yellow color? I mean, if its a show vehicle and is 40 years old, do the "authorities" really think some kid is going to mistaken it as an in service school bus?

2.) I have rented quite a few Penske 26' air brake box trucks in my time and have never been asked for a CDL. How do people get away with that when renting?

Edited by - Jared on 02/29/2012 06:24:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  07:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jared

quote:

Oh good question: No I do not. Yes I have air brakes, but since its registered as historic and is below 26,000 GVWR, no CDL is required.

Two side note questions:
1.) Does there come a time in the age of a school bus when no one cares about enforcing the school bus yellow color? I mean, if its a show vehicle and is 40 years old, do the "authorities" really think some kid is going to mistaken it as an in service school bus?

2.) I have rented quite a few Penske 26' air brake box trucks in my time and have never been asked for a CDL. How do people get away with that when renting?

I would think if anything they'd want a magnet covering up the SCHOOL BUS when driving around.

As for Penske, they keep the GVWR under the CDL requirement, so no issue there. Kind of scary letting some people drive those. But not as scary as 85 year olds driving RVs with 35,000 lb GVWRs with no CDL.

Edited by - RichBusman on 02/29/2012 07:49:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  10:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would think if anything they'd want a magnet covering up the SCHOOL BUS when driving around.

As for Penske, they keep the GVWR under the CDL requirement, so no issue there. Kind of scary letting some people drive those. But not as scary as 85 year olds driving RVs with 35,000 lb GVWRs with no CDL.

Yeah, I agree --- those RV "buses" are frightening when captained by old guys.

I wonder if anyone has ever been stopped and fined for having a school bus in its original colors (?)

Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  10:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are a few around here that are yellow, have been for a long time and as far as I know no one has said anything. Good idea on the historical vehicle tag, but bad part about that is it is hard to find a bus that old in good condition (around here at least.) nice bus by the way, I would be aiming for more towards a transit blue bird or an older conventional, unless I can find an old Chevy or S-Series International in good shape.

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  1:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are a few around here that are yellow, have been for a long time and as far as I know no one has said anything. Good idea on the historical vehicle tag, but bad part about that is it is hard to find a bus that old in good condition (around here at least.) nice bus by the way, I would be aiming for more towards a transit blue bird or an older conventional, unless I can find an old Chevy or S-Series International in good shape.

Thanks. I did get lucky with not only finding the bus, but it also being in relatively decent shape. My reasoning of course is probably very unique in that I just plain wanted the bus I rode to school in that got me into this obsession to begin with. I was never able to determine the actual bus number as it was painted over a few times but its part of the fleet that I rode the most and is probably only a number or two off from the ones I rode. It also has some very unique specs that no other Wayne that I've ever heard of or seen has - smooth side panels and the chromed Blue Bird "deluxe" style entrance door handle. I just had to make this bus mine when i found it.

Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  2:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You actually rode that bus while you were in school? That's pretty cool, would be part of my reason to get a specific one too. How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind my asking?

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  5:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You actually rode that bus while you were in school? That's pretty cool, would be part of my reason to get a specific one too. How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind my asking?

$2000

Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  9:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was a steal for that price. She looks great, nice shiny paint and she starts in the cold!

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  02:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A couple years ago, I purchased a 99 AmTran RE from a 422 auction. It was a former Laidlaw bus, it runs great (fired right up after sitting for the better part of a year), has good power, and barely any rust, and I only paid $1,000. I pulled all the seats out and am planning to convert it to a camper, but the project is going slowly since I don't get a lot of free time to work on it. CT requires RV-type amenities to register something as a camper, but I chose my words carefully with regards to present/future tense about my plans. I'm definitely not using it commercially, the few times I do take her on the road are just to joyride with friends, or to get building supplies when I have time to work on her. I'm fortunate in that I have a decent sized yard with room to park a few buses.

CT requires the warning lights to be disabled, and the body to be painted a color "readily distinguishable from National School bus Chrome Yellow." Eventually, I plan to do the whole bus in silver with blue trim, but for now I just have enough painted to make sure no one would ever confuse it for a school bus.

It's registered as a camper, so no CDL needed, although I do have mine.

As for historic vehicles, I know of an old school bus that's registered in Maine with antique plates. I briefly owned a 72 Crown Supercoach from CA, but couldn't get a straight answer from CT DMV about registering it as historic. When I no longer had access to a dealer plate to play around with, I sold it to a friend of mine who's a member of the Seashore Trolley Museum in Maine (which has a good sized collection of antique transit buses). He had no trouble registering it as an antique, still yellow, lettered school bus, and with the warning lights still working. He only lets people with CDLs drive it, so I don't know what the law there is about driving antiques. He's never had anyone question anything, but I don't think anyone would mistake the look of a classic Crown for an in-service school bus in Maine.

Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  07:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's a better pic of bus724's Crown back when he owned it. That was quite a bus! It stuck out like a sore thumb on the roads here in CT.

Edited by - BBInt.10 on 03/01/2012 07:17:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  07:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That pic must have been just after I first got it. It looked so much better after I painted the front rims yellow.
Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  3:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, the Crown is pretty sweet, I'd probably have to travel a really long distance to get one, I've never seen one before. So, on your AmTran warning lights, are they just completely gone? I mean, how would they ever know if they are disabled? The lenses just look painted black, but if you did full amber in the front and red in the rear to look like clearance lights, and they were still able to be activated, would they ever question it?

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  3:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Crowns were built in southern California until 1991, and their market share was mostly limited to CA and a few other states on the West Coast. Gillig, a manufacturer of transit buses, built school buses with similar specs in northern CA. They were arguably the most durable school buses ever built, with heavy-duty components and a 20 year life expectancy (which many have surpassed). Most have been retired now, as CA pushes to get the older pre-emissions diesels off the road. There are still a few in service, and they show up on eBay once in a while, but they're definitely an endangered species.

On my AmTran, I removed the bulbs and painted the lenses, then screwed the black lenses back on to cover the holes until I have time to permanently patch them. Your idea might work, but you'd probably have to explain it a few times. Warning lights are much larger than clearance lights. I believe auxiliary lights are allowed if amber in front and red in back, but a DOT officer might find some obscure law to ticket you for if he wanted to. I know some people put clear lenses on the warning lights and wire them with an on-off switch, and claim they're only for off-road use to illuminate a campsite, but the laws on those vary by state.
Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  3:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just emailed someone who would know for my state, hopefully he will get back to me.

On the 422 sales website, how do you find the buses? I can't seem to find any.

Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  6:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
On the main page, look under Auction Schedule. Under April 14th, there is a link to "Bus Auctions" and "Bus Pics". The list of the buses to be auctioned will be under the "Bus Auctions" link.

http://www.422sales.com/Pittsburgh/Pittsburgh%20Info/pittsburghlist.htm

Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  6:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in Michigan. I own three buses. One I've had for five years, and its been painted on the road for four of those. The next I've had for almost three years. Its still waiting for paint. The third I've had for 1/2 a year and is in storage waiting for paint and party bus conversion.

I use my buses for fun. Load up and go, joyride, tow the boat, whatever- No dedicated purpose really.

Yes, you need a CDL because they are registered as commercial vehicles. Insured with State Farm as private(not for hire) buses, and do not need to be inspected.

Not sure what you'd have to do to make it into a camper. DMV said you'd have to have permanent eating and sleeping quarters to register it as an RV, however I don't think they actually check, but it could get you in trouble if you get pulled over and are discovered that your are incorrectly registered.

Bus must be entirely repainted, and all signal lights removed or covered and/ or permanently disabled.
That requirement can be found here: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Private_Buses_71826_7.pdf

My buses still have the lights on them, but I don't think its a big deal. The big issue is the yellow color like Jake said.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  6:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response, I'm subscribed to you on Youtube BTW, TikiTyl3r. haha. I am still looking on google for Missouri laws. I'd love to have a bus, but would have to have to go through the CDL test just to do it, it seems to be a hard test from what I have heard.

Go to Top of Page

08BBVision

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  10:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08BBVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do you guys have your buses registered as?

Go to Top of Page

vintanthromodernvintage

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  12:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit vintanthromodernvintage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!
I came across this site by way of a google search for "registering a used school bus in Connecticut." So, here's what I plan to do: I would like to purchase a short / mini school bus and remove all of the seats and install clothing bars on each side (front to back) and create a traveling vintage clothing shop. I know that people are doing this across the country. I would like to keep the bus yellow (I am a teacher - it will be my gimmick) but I know that I need to remove all signs that it was a school bus. I may be purchasing a bus from Georgia where my father lives or locally, if possible. My question is where do I find information about insuring and registering this vehicle. I've seen some answers on here, but none quite fit my situation. I will not be using it as an RV or a camper. Please help! Thank you in advance,
Melissa

quote:
Originally posted by BBInt.10

I have mine registered as a camper, and you don't need a CDL to drive it anymore since it's registered as a camper. I have most the seats removed, and CT requires the bus to be painted something other than school bus yellow, hence the paint job. Ideally I would have liked to have kept it yellow, but I got it painted to get it on the road. I don't have a property to park it on, but I've always found places to put it. I'm not about to let that minor glitch get in the way of having a bus.

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  5:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Melissa,
All of your questions will most likely be answered here:
www.skoolie.net

Good luck with your bus search!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000