School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 Owning a Bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Top Member

1042 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  6:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Melissa,

I would recommend finding a bus that is from CT because then you won't need to have a VIN verification done. If you buy an out-of-state bus and try to register it in CT, you will need to have a DMV inspector physically come out to your bus and match up your VIN to the VIN on your title. If you don't need the VIN verification, you can pretty much tell the DMV whatever you want about what the bus looks like, and with some luck, you may get some plates for it. I'd recommend going the camper route. Even if it's not really going to be used as a camper, this will make it so that you will not need to go for DOT safety inspections, nor will you need a CDL to drive it. Granted, most mini buses are probably under the commercial weight limit anyway. If you can get the plates without anyone inspecting your bus, you can do with it pretty much as you please. I've successfully gotten 3 used school buses registered in CT. Good luck.


If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  1:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are tons of retired school buses running around here in Va. Virginia also states that the vechicle must be painted another color but realisticaly that doesnt happen. Most people simply remove or paint over "SCHOOL BUS" and remove the safety equipment. I would go for the RV title if available and tht will keep your insurance low as well.

Go to Top of Page

Senior Member

72 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  3:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely do your research first. I didn't imagine having any trouble with my buses until I bought my second one. My first bus was a '93 Ford Econoline Goshen Coach Shuttle Bus/People Mover. It was easy to insure as it was considered just a Ford van. I did pay a "commercial rate," but it was still very reasonable at $30/month for liability only. My second bus is a full-size rear engine. Two of my insurance companies immediately said no- we can't insure anything that big with that many seats. Even though one of them already insures my '36 Blue Bird Wanderlodge! I'm like- they are basically the same thing! I finally talked really nice with one of my insurance ladies and explained its just a recreational vehicle that won't even spend much time on the road. She agreed if I would take out most of the seats!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2017 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000