Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 T444e Smoking Problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Abe W

5 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  09:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abe W's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have a 1995 International 3800 school bus with a T444E engine. I'm having a lot of problems getting going in the mornings especially when it is cold like now. The engine starts good and idles OK. When I want to get going, it sputters and blows white smoke like crazy. If I keep pushing it, eventually after everything seems to be warmed up all of a sudden it surges forward and and takes off and the smoke clears up. As long as I keep driving it seems fine. If I stop and then take off again, it hesitates a bit before it goes. The longer I stop, the more smoke and hesitating I have before it clears up. The flash codes I get are 111, 233 & 615. I don't have any technical info to tell me what the codes mean and how to find the problem. What would I try first?

Abe W

5 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  3:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abe W's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can someone give me the meanings of these flash codes, 111, 233, 615 please?

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

stovebolt

37 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  4:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit stovebolt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Abe, you need to check your glow plug relay. If it is functioning, check your glow plugs. The white smoke is unburned fuel, and a classic symptom of non-functioning glow plugs. As far as your codes, 111 is no faults detected. 233 is vpm not receiving tach signal, and 615 is KAM memory corrupted.

All three of these are common codes, if the bus runs good when warm, id lean towards a gp relay, glow plugs, or the wiring harness that runs them.

Edited by - stovebolt on 12/13/2010 5:27:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Abe W

5 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  9:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abe W's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The glow plug light comes on properly and then goes out after a bit. Am I correct that the glow plugs are only needed till the engine is started? The engine starts great, even in cold weather like we've had now for a bit here in the middle of Canada. Of course, I'm using the block and oil pan heaters as well. I agree that it is getting excessive fuel. It seems that once the engine area is fully warmed up and the engine is under load it runs fine. Slowing down or idling it for any period of time tends to bring on this problem to varying degrees. I will check the flash codes again to make sure I didn't miss any.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  01:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, glow plug issue.

Just because the light is on, does not mean the plugs are working. I've done a quick check in the field before, you might try it... when cold, turn the key on but don't crank, the wait to start light will shut off, but the glow plugs remain on for several seconds. Watch the volt gauge for a minute, it will jump up a bit when the plugs do shut off. I fit doesnt rise, looks like they aren't working.

That is no substitute for a complete system check, but might give you some needed info in a hurry.
Go to Top of Page

Abe W

5 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  10:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abe W's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I checked what the volt gauge does. After about a minute(long after the light goes off), it jumps up quite a ways. I'm guessing that means the glow plugs work. Like I said, the engine has no problems starting. It fires up pretty much right away when I crank it over. Somebody told me that the engine oil could make a difference on how well it runs especially when it is quite cold like -33C. I will do an oil change and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  11:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like maybe your rapid warm up device is closing and not opening up quite like it should. This can cause low power, a lot of smoke from poor combustion and an increased noise level at the tailpipe.
They should open up when you drive the bus but for whatever reason some can be troublesome and only open when coolant temp reaches a certain level. Of the two stubbon ones we had one was corrected with an ecm reflash the other one we ended up just unhooking the flapper valve and wiring it open.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 12/14/2010 11:33:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  3:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted this video here a few days ago asking about a strange grinding noise that the exhaust was making. I was told that that's how the exhaust sounds when the warm-up device is closed. In this video, the driver starts driving away while the device is closed, then it opens up once there's some throttle, and I was watching as the noise suddenly stopped, and the bus did seem to lurch forward as you described.

Skip to 0:45 in this video to hear the noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaKP4UC8PQY

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 12/14/2010 3:07:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tobey c

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  8:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Thomas EF

I posted this video here a few days ago asking about a strange grinding noise that the exhaust was making. I was told that that's how the exhaust sounds when the warm-up device is closed. In this video, the driver starts driving away while the device is closed, then it opens up once there's some throttle, and I was watching as the noise suddenly stopped, and the bus did seem to lurch forward as you described.

Skip to 0:45 in this video to hear the noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaKP4UC8PQY

Go to Top of Page

Tobey c

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  6:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem with my 02 3400. Did you find the problem? Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by Abe W

Hi,

I have a 1995 International 3800 school bus with a T444E engine. I'm having a lot of problems getting going in the mornings especially when it is cold like now. The engine starts good and idles OK. When I want to get going, it sputters and blows white smoke like crazy. If I keep pushing it, eventually after everything seems to be warmed up all of a sudden it surges forward and and takes off and the smoke clears up. As long as I keep driving it seems fine. If I stop and then take off again, it hesitates a bit before it goes. The longer I stop, the more smoke and hesitating I have before it clears up. The flash codes I get are 111, 233 & 615. I don't have any technical info to tell me what the codes mean and how to find the problem. What would I try first?

Go to Top of Page

Abe W

5 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abe W's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did an oil change and made sure to put the proper oil in for cold weather. It seems to work OK as long as it is not colder than -20C. As was suggested, it could be the warm-up device not operating properly but I haven't had a chance to disconnect it and find out if it makes a difference. I'm hoping to try it today. Does anyone know if this engine should have a fast idle mechanism for cold-weather operation?
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  11:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be able to get it to high idle. Put bus in Neutural, Apply the Parking brake, There are two switches next to the parking brake (on models with air brakes), on older units (like yours) the closer switch should be DOWN (down is "ON") and then push and hold the lower half of the switch to the right, until you reach the desired RPM and then release.

You can kind of see what I'm talking about here

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000