Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 I C buses drivers seat bouncing problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mark gann

1 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  08:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit mark gann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
need some suggestions on a cure for our drivers seats in our ic buses
that have national seats. our roads have become very bad in the last
year and drivers are complaining of seats that rebound them into the
roof of the bus when driving over certain road conditions and also
hurting there backs. we are retraining drivers to slow down on there
routes with some success.adjusting tether belts has help some to ,but
not the cure yet. is there any economical way to fix this without
changing all the dampners out. seat manufactures have offered me little help so far. thanks and have a great new year!!!!!!!!!

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  08:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would guess based on your post that they're air ride seats?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  08:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our case;
We have some drivers that get along fine with them.

We have some that let all the air out and let the seat stay in lowest position, Personally I hate this choice for visibility purposes.

We have some that cinch the floor teathers to the highest position they want the seat to go and just air it up to the point of not bouncing on the bad roads. This choice gives them visibility and allows the drivers to air up or down for their comfort.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  12:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too am having this problem. The salesman that sold these God for saking things to us says he is working on this. But that has been a few months ago. I like the tighting of the teathers idea but have not tried it. I must make this a priority though because my drivers are complaining of back pain. The problem with this is that it only allows one person to drive it. If you have someone that is taller they will not have an option of adjustment. Not to mention someone who is shorter. Catch 22 I guess. Better buy a BB.
Happy New Year everyone!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  1:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try tightening the teathers to the highest possible point you want the seat to reach. Unless you have 6'8" drivers and 5'2" drivers sharing the same bus its not likely as big a deal as you are making it out to be. If you eliminate unneccesary upward travel you can air the seats up so they won't bottom out. What you have to eliminate is the seat bottoming out as this is where the back pounding pain comes from.
Seriously, we have standard bus seats that we never change the height on. Some of our Thomas buses are quite a handfull to adjust seat height. Chances also are the shorter driver will also be a lighter driver and won't need as much air to keep from bottoming out.

From your owners manual;

"NOTE: The seat belt tether must be checked for proper
adjustment prior to vehicle operation.
Adjustment
1. Adjust the driver seat fore and aft to accommodate driver
comfort.
2. After the seat is adjusted, take weight off the seat to
allow the seat to rise to its highest point.
3. Pull the webbing through the seat belt tether adjuster
until there is no slack."

Edited by - Fastback on 12/30/2010 2:12:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  03:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our 2005 IC's have a National 2000 seat and replacing the seat shock with a 2587142C91 seat shock absorber helped them a good bit. This was listed as a heavy duty seat shock. I am not sure how heavy duty it is but it helped some of our buses out alot. Try one and see.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  05:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fastback, I haven't looked at my copy of the owner's manual yet but it sounds like they are saying to adjust the tether snugg with the seat all the way to the highest point. What you are telling us to do is adjust it so it keeps the seat from reaching the highest point. I'm pretty curious about all this and I need to get this fixed for my drivers before I have a work comp claim anyway so I am going work on this issue in ernest the next few days.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  05:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Fastback, I haven't looked at my copy of the owner's manual yet but it sounds like they are saying to adjust the tether snugg with the seat all the way to the highest point. What you are telling us to do is adjust it so it keeps the seat from reaching the highest point. I'm pretty curious about all this and I need to get this fixed for my drivers before I have a work comp claim anyway so I am going work on this issue in ernest the next few days.

I think what they mean is to have driver sit in seat, adjust it fore or aft and air for the heighth they like it. Then have driver get out of seat to let it rise and then cinch the teathers to limit the seat from going higher than that point.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000