Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 rust
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

got a min

31 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  3:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit got a min's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More and more floors rusting out.Has anybody replaced the hole floor yet?

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stop allowing your drivers to use pressurized water (or even a hose) on the floor. The water gets in between the plywood and the mat and ruins the floor. Even marine plywood will rot.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  05:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bluebirdvision

Stop allowing your drivers to use pressurized water (or even a hose) on the floor. The water gets in between the plywood and the mat and ruins the floor. Even marine plywood will rot.

That's a big assumption. I mop the 2006 I use (in other words, no hose) and it's floor is still quite rusty. I have to wonder if they're using poorer quality steel. Also, deicers are more harsh these days. The underside of my 2006 looks worse than the underside of my 1985, no joke! (Rear of the 1985 excepted.)

If I ever get a chance to update my webpage again, you'll see what a rusty underfloor is.
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  05:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in full agreement on the deicing agents issue. Liquid chloride is also the big contributor to green wiring. Quite often that green is quite a ways away from where the chloride got in.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  08:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had some heaters leak coolant and get under the rubber flooring. The wood gets soaked the floor peels up and the metal underneath rusts. The glue will not hold to coolant soaked wood even after drying out. Very costly, good thing warranty covered it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  08:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems here that the buses parked on dirt or gravel are rusting the fastest. My theory is that the moisture coming out of the ground and dew reactivates these deicing chemicals that have collected on the undersides of the bus. After a summer of being parked on gravel in Iowa we notice rusted/ceased stuff that we never used to see.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  09:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if we could mandate to our road departments that they stop using these harmful chemicals. What would it take? Afterall, we made it this far using sand and rock salt - why are the new harmful things such a necessity? Corrosion is a huge drain on the econommy. In 2001 it cost the United States economy $137.9-billion according to one source.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  09:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new chemicals are awful on all buses. I constantly hear from long timers in the industry that the buses are rusting away much quicker now, and in new places.

The buses themselves have better rust protection now than ever, it's the mag chloride and calcium chloride that is destroying the buses.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  12:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBusman

The new chemicals are awful on all buses. I constantly hear from long timers in the industry that the buses are rusting away much quicker now, and in new places.

The buses themselves have better rust protection now than ever, it's the mag chloride and calcium chloride that is destroying the buses.

Agree 100%

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  2:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Magnesium Chloride. Great for getting rid of ice, but where you have surface rust, you WILL have a hole at the end of the season.

Thanks (insert state/county name) Department of Transportation!
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  2:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out here in rural Iowa we used to expect 17 years out of a bus, I have now adjusted my expectations down to 12.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

got a min

31 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  3:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit got a min's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im runinging out of sheet metal and undercoat.3 buses rusted out around the seat mount last year.1 out of service 2 traded in.IN PA.
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  4:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen buses in junkyards that have less rust than my bus. For instance, there is a 79' chevy bluebird in a junk yard that has a better body than my 90' TC. No joke.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000