Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 front brake chatter in reverse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnnypatty

1 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  7:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit johnnypatty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
02 bluebird fe - local dealer has replaced drums & shoes 3 times - chatter in reverse is driving us crazy - help us help the garage - or should just live with it for awhile?

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  05:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It is a condtion that you will not cure with current brake technolgy used.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Harrison Fire

United States
175 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  09:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, around here, that age of bus might have had the front air brakes replaced once. Whenever a driver asks about their brakes, I check the lining, watch them being actuated, (for slack adjustment and play in camshaft bushings) then if all is good, crank the slacks tight and back off 1/4 turn.
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  12:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with BJ. 99% of the time you apply the brakes going forward. Almost all the wear is in that direction. When you put it in reverse all of the slack from the wear no matter how small changes to the rear and will cause some chatter.I have driven a lot of air brake buses and a lot of them will do that in reverse.
Go to Top of Page

Harrison Fire

United States
175 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only one bus that "groans", when the brakes are being applied, moving slowly, in reverse. Tighten the slack adjustment from 3/4 of a turn (where I find the self adjusters have set themselves) to 1/4 turn and the noise goes away.
HF

My Fleet? (6) 93/99 IH 3800 Thomas and Blue Bird, Hydraulic Brakes, Manual and Auto Trans, (10) 00/06 FS65 Thomas Air Brake and Auto Trans, (2) 06 C2 Thomas and (2) 09/10 IC CE 300, Plus 3 more from another District
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000