Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 kingpin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

got a min

31 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  06:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit got a min's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Watched a fellow mechanic remove kingpins.He heated them up cherry red and then dumped water on them.pins almost fell out.It worked well but made me a little concerned about the axle.Has anybody else tried this???

Katomech

3 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  3:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katomech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never heard of that way?
Go to Top of Page

Harrison Fire

United States
175 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2010 :  05:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://mcveighstrucksprings.com/

I like their kingpin press.

Wander, herd or hook your bus there.
Drive it home, straight and true,
HF
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  10:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of my king pins will drive out. If I have to I will heat one up but never cherry red and I will definatly not pour any water on one. This will, repeat- WILL!!, change the structure of the metal. Now, will it break? Maybe, maybe not. You'll have to wait till the axle is put in some kind of stress. That stress might be a pot hole or an accident. Either case you can cause an accident or make one worse. On a school bus think investigaion. FEDS!!, DOT!!, Let me see your records. What was your proceedure when you changed that king pin? Was anyone watching that can back you up when you did that king pin? This is the reason I am very carefull when doing anything on a school bus.
How many years till my retirement? I pray I can make it before something happens to one of my units. Is there some other ocupation I need to be doing?
Better yet I think I will look into getting a press. What about you? Seams like a waste of money no more pins than I do but if it saves a life....

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

got a min

31 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  3:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit got a min's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way.I like to sleep at night.thanks for your apinion.
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  6:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The king pins yes. The axle itself, no. If you heat the kingpin, you are going to replace it anyway, just do not heat the axle. When you pour water on the kingpin to shrink it it doesn't hurt anything. It is not recommended that you ever heat or bend the axle.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  05:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I either drive the kingpins out with my air hammer or remove entire axle and take it to machine shop. Chances are they are going to get the knucles anyway for the bushings and fitting pins. Don't do enough of them to justify a press, don't have enough room in shop for another large piece of seldom used equipment.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  06:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Snap-On king pin press for sale. I used to change kingpins in the older GM chassis with-out bearings. It will do Ford trucks also. If interested e-mail me. Rob

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  3:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is safe to warm, and I stress WARM, the axle to 400F without affecting the axle. Anything more will make it brittle. Check it with an infrared temp sensor. If you can't, remove the axle and take it to a shop that's equipped to press it out.

I have a 25 ton press here and on some of these salt trucks, even that's not enough. I know a guy with a 100 ton press they call 'Brutus'. That press will even shear off the drawkeys.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  08:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll sell mine for $150 plus shipping. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?store=snapon-store&item_ID=13501&group_ID=1912

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 10/27/2010 08:13:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  4:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I asked this question a couple of years ago on this forum (except the water part--never heard of that). I'm an old timer and have done over a hundred, maybe two hundred, kingpin jobs by heating the axle as hot as I could get it and then driving the pin out using an old kingpin (with much effort in a lot of cases).

I've never had a axle fail by doing this. I've never SEEN an axle fail by doing this. I've never HEARD of an axle failing by doing this. This was done on busses that I worked on for their entire in-service life.

We tried an on-axle press that the shop bought but the thing just leaned over and wouldn't budge the pin.
I consider myself lucky as common sense would tell you that the heat would weaken the axle.
Been 15 years since I've had to change one. They last longer now for some reason.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000