Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Greetings and a question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  7:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 95' BB A/A with an 8.3. The transmission temp gauge is messed up....grounding out or something. Where is it hooked up at the transmission end. Not sure how to go about tracing the issue but I would like the gauge to work.

Ideas/suggestions?

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  05:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
More info please. What transmission do you have? Have you checked in the trans cooler line? Is the trans temp going way up but not the engine temp? Have you washed out the radiator cooler assemblies ( radiator, transmission,power steering, and air to air) yet?
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  07:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, its a 643R. Trans temp doesnt move. Once in a while you hit a bump and it pegs out. Clearly a short or bad gauge, etc. All the coolers are very clean. I did not check in the cooler line. There is however in what I assume to be the drain plug in the trans pan, a hole. Nearby the hole I found a wired with a sort of plug on it that fit in the hole. Thinking that might be how it worked. I will have to get a picture of it. I played with the wire and stuck it in the drain plug to see if the gauge moved and it didnt. The wire is rough looking to boot.

Edited by - opus on 09/30/2010 12:49:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  1:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  11:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This looks like it could be a temp sender. I think there are parts missing there should be a threaded post sticking out of the hole you poked the wire into to screw an eyelet onto. You will need to match the sender to your gauge.
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  4:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The end looks like a sleeve crimped on the wire. Can someone tell me how to remedy this without having to string 40' of new wire?

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  3:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's no connector on top of the transmission?

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  5:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure, I didnt look. From all I know, I thought this would be it. If its not, what is it?

There are a few connectors on top, from what I can see.

This is on the drivers side of the transmission:

I would have thought that the temp sending unit would be the same place on every 643R.

Edited by - opus on 10/02/2010 6:00:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

jperkins

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  07:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That appears to be the retarder control valve and the sender is the retarder out temp sensor
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  07:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that the temp sending unit for my gauge or is there another one?
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  3:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Furthermore:

There are 4 wires on the back of the temp gauge. 1 is ground, 1 is dash lights. The other 2 are hot with 12v. When I go to the wire shown here, the bare wire is also 12v, the crimped piece is 0v. When I jam the piece in the hole, it then pegs the gauge to all the way to the right, off the scale. I assume that means it is grounding out? Should there be 12v to that wire if it in fact does go in that hole? That wire goes over the top of the transmission to the other side of the bus and into the loom heading toward the front of the bus.

Edited by - opus on 10/03/2010 3:46:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

94AmTranVolunteer
Advanced Member

264 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  7:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are these Pictures of the Frame or Something Else.

Answering Electrical Problems One at a Time.
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  7:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They would be of the transmission and the pan.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  06:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cut the wire off above the bad spot (where you got the 12v) and add a short piece put an eyelet for #10 screw and ground it the gauge should bury on the hot side. Get a sender unit that will fit in the hole (possibly from Allison)and put the eyelet on the threaded post that is the sender signal.
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  06:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got it. So I need to find a sending unit to thread into about a 1/4" hole. Ahhh...I get it, the plug is the sending unit. Something must have broke off the end of it.

Edited by - opus on 10/04/2010 12:21:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000