444E Starter Problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  5:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am working on a 2000 International with a T444E.

The problem we are having is when you try to start the engine, the starter will pulsate, cranking for 2 seconds then stopping, cranking for 2 seconds then stopping and so on and so forth. When it stops cranking the lights on the dash will go off also.

It has thrown no codes. I have switched the batteries, alternator, starter, ignition switch, glow plug relay, starter relay and crank relay. What have I missed? Do you think this could be a computer problem? This bus has also gone through 2 or 3 starters in the past and has also torn up the teeth on 2 different flexplates. I figure it's from the starter clunking in and out as it pulsates.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  6:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No crank and no dash indicator lights is a classic indicator of no power to the ECM. I would be suspicious of a bad wire or connection(s)in the "clean power" supply circuit that supplies voltage to the ECM. Perhaps the problem area is shifting/vibrating and making/breaking the circuit as the starter engages and disengages.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  7:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it actualy cranking or just instantly chunking on and off. A bad frame ground would cause that. The clean power wires are notorious for just corroding anywhere in the curcuit. Especially by the left spring shackle where there is a weatherpack connector.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  7:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it actually does crank, it will just stop cranking then kick back on, like i've turned the key off. After watching it today, the power to the rest of the bus never goes off as the starter kicks off and on.

I also pulled the inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing. As the engine was cranked over, I could see that the flex plate seems warped, as it's spinning it's very obvious it's not turning perfectly flat.

Could this engine be getting hydro-locked by fuel leaking past an injector? The engine will eventually start up, and when it does it is a little smokey until it warms up.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000