New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  11:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the text from a bulletin from my BB dealer. If you are a customer of Centeral States I would encourage you to sign up for these free e-mail bulletins.

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE ITEM:
It is necessary to periodically unplug the connector at the low coolant probe and inspect for coolant contamination on the affected vehicles.

PROBLEM:
Coolant contamination of the engine harness may result in damage to the engine ECM. If contamination is not detected in time, coolant can travel throughout the harness causing damage to the engine ECM.

VEHICLES AFFECTED:
2007 - 2009 Visions and All Americans equipped with Cat and Cummins engines.

PROBABLE CAUSE:
The low coolant probe in the radiator surge tank may be leaking internally through the connector.

SOLUTION:
The low coolant probe must be replaced.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call us toll free at
1-800-825-8273
to order
Blue Bird Part # 0106490.

Edited by - bwest on 04/07/2009 12:25:56 PM

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  2:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to check all mine for this.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  6:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd rather see a repair connector/pigtail that plugs in but stops coolant intrusion along with an updated probe. Or, maybe a drain??? Maybe a secondary coolant sensor halfway up the harness to the ECM that caused a forced regen that dries up the coolant!!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  7:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you saying this causes a regen? I'm not sure I know what you are talking about on your last line Mechan1c.

The new sensor is surely redesigned to stop this problem isn't it?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  07:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I was attempting some shop humor...sorry. I need to work on my delivery.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  08:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Sorry I missed that.

Bryan

Edited by - bwest on 04/08/2009 10:21:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  3:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember when the bus drivers used to check things and you didn't need a low coolant sensor?

Yeah I don't remember either.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  05:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I check my coolant, but like to have the light in case something happens on the road. If you start to lose it out on the road, that sensor would help you to know.
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  05:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Remember when the bus drivers used to check things and you didn't need a low coolant sensor?

Yeah I don't remember either.

True, but they used to be able to operate their buses until they got no heat out of the heaters, then add 2 gallons of coolant, fix a leak and nothing was hurt.
Today if you would do that you would likely be replacing the EGR cooler and the electronic engine monitoring would give manufacturers justification for warranty denial.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  1:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, both good points (loss while driving and emissions). For what it's worth I added low coolant lights to our specs in 2002.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  09:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got back from the Cummins dealer. One of their techs and I were trying to diagnose a random high idle condition. I sent it to Cummins because I thought it was an ECM problem. The bus would go into high idle and would not quit, no throttle, hitting the brake did not stop it, flicking the switch no effect either. After a bit of isolation we determined the orange high idle wire was getting grounded by liquid. We ended up disabling the PTO with insite for now. More to come when I get authorization to fix it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  09:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New coolant probe part# 10015356

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  4:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Years ago, GM coolant sensor leaks were a big problem. The leak would find it's way back to the ECM causing all kinds of interesting issues.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  06:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is BB goning to warranty these sensors, i have a bad one now.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  07:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L.J.D

Is BB goning to warranty these sensors, i have a bad one now.

I think so. I would call your dealer and get it documented so they can order parts. Like 500+ on backorder.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  12:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sensor = 56 bux

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  06:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 hrs diagnose and 2 hrs to change harness and sensor is what BB pays. Too bad I didn't get this one, they let Cummins do it. It's fixed anyway.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000