Plugs for 7" light lenses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  12:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone done anything creative to plug the screw holes for 7" light lenses? I ask because I have trouble with insects building nests in there and blocking my access to the screws. I was wondering if anyone has used something that was easily removable with a pick or something. I am thinking of small lengths of rubber hose, something with a very small inside diameter...small enough to keep water out but large enough to insert a pick and pull the plug out when the light needs to be serviced. But then I don't know what sort of hose exists that has hardly any inside diameter.

One mechanic I know fills those holes with RTV silicone, but I don't want to do that because I don't want the solvents or chemicals in the caulking harming my lenses.

SoundOff Signal provides plastic plugs with their products that match the color of the lense to seal off those holes, but they are permanent...you'd have to drill a hole into the plug to get ahold of it to pull it out if the wiring behind it ever needed servicing. Anyone have ideas that are less parmaenent?

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  2:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Foam earplugs?
Cigarette filters?

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  05:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about plain old clear packing tape? Wonder how long it would last in the sun?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

lonebustech

United States
79 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  05:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
soundoff brand LED were coming with red plugs

22 Buses,18 support vehicles,Grounds equip, buffers and vacuums for 9 campuses. 1 Tech. and 2 bays ain't life grand
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  5:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just blast mine with water before I attemp to remove the screws. I wish body manufacturers would use stainless screws for those lights.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  5:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I use a shot of PB penetrating oil in the winter before changing a bulb. Our buses don't get washed, so the screw holes end up full of sand. (Related to the above post, but kind of irrelevant to the insect issue.) I'm not sure if the solvents harm the plastic, but it's better than sanding the screw heads flat.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  7:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hardybusman

I just blast mine with water before I attemp to remove the screws. I wish body manufacturers would use stainless screws for those lights.

I'm with you on this one. I wouldn't mind if it added more to the cost of the unit. Couldn't cost over $50 per unit for every cotton picking light on the thing. What's $50 when your spending $70,000?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Jim Kimmel

7 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  10:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jim  Kimmel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
usee fome ear plugs they go in easy and then will expand to a tight fit. and will be easy to remove.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  1:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I really like the foam earplugs idea! They wouldn't become saturated with water though, would they? Maybe on the outside surface, but I'd imagine inside they'd stay perfectly dry.

THANKS!

Oh, regarding the stainless screws...I bought stainless but one of the 8 that I bought at the same time is actually rusting. I wonder if I got sold something that wasn't what it was claimed to be, or if it was just a bad batch. I dunno.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  3:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like you bright zinc instead of stainless.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

eicsbus

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  09:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what we use is robertson head screws, a quick blast of air cleans out the lense pockets, and the heads never strip, like phillips heads

I.C. NO FUTURE

formally ,,,,wright11
Go to Top of Page

WillWho

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  09:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit WillWho's Homepage  Send WillWho an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried chapstick? You may have to re-fill in the hotter months, but it will stay put and keep the bugs out. You don't even have to clean the gunk out before removing the screw, just stick the screwdriver in and find the slot. Put some red tape around the chapstick and keep it on the bus for when you need it next time. The red tape is warn you that you don't want to put that stuff on your lips.

It's not worthing doing if you're not having fun.

When the kids ask how old I am, I tell them, "Old enough to have helped create the formula for dirt, but young enough to still enjoy playing in it."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000