Advice needed on a Transmission
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  7:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2000 Cheverolet that I just had to replace the clutch in. After test driving it, it appears that the synchronizer is messed up on 3rd gear as I have to double clutch to keep it from grinding.

My question is, what kind of cost am I looking at to get this fixed? Would going for a complete rebuild be the best thing?

Possibly anything I can do to fix this problem myself?

The transmission is a Eaton FS4205 B 5 speed.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  05:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I currently have all automatics in my fleet but when I had straight shifts we had little problems with the internal parts of the transmissions. That being said I am wondering if you have a problem with the clutch not disengaging all the way.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  9:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We always did our own trans rebuilds in the GM buses. Because of the type of use that a school bus sees, failure of the sycro units is common if the transmission is not double clutched when shifting. If you are using a new spicer clutch the chances of a failure in the clutch is slim. Many of our suppliers will refuse to handle reman clutches because of the high return rates.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  2:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prolly a blocker ring. All of our manual trans tools got donated to the local tech school. About 8.8 hrs for R&R and overhaul, plus parts, fluids, etc.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  4:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you just need some new synchros. Rebuilding it yourself if done checking all clearances and endplays according to the manuals can save half the cost of a rebuilt unit. I havent rebuilt a manual in ten years but I know getting a new shift tower was always required if you can feel any twist play in the shift lever.
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  7:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Make sure the clutch hydraulics have no air in them before you do anything.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  9:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These buses us a cable operated clutch. The trans uses two sycro units 2nd-3rd & 4th-5th. They are replaced as complete units and
cannot be repaired. The only special tools required for a rebuild
are a dial indicator and a micrometer. As long as you don't need
a shaft or gears you should be dollars ahead to do the rebuild yourself.
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  4:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Mc

These buses us a cable operated clutch. The trans uses two sycro units 2nd-3rd & 4th-5th. They are replaced as complete units and
cannot be repaired. The only special tools required for a rebuild
are a dial indicator and a micrometer. As long as you don't need
a shaft or gears you should be dollars ahead to do the rebuild yourself.

Sorry, he didn't specify, so I thought he might be working on a smaller truck.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000