New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  10:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to probably sound like a dumb question, but since I do not work on buses, here goes. On Amtran and IC RE's with the radiator at the rear of the bus, does the air flow outward (from the engine compartment) or inward (from the outside)? What got me curious is the lack of any kind of air scoop from the outside.

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  1:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The air flows inward through the air intakes on either side of the bus. If you look at them, you'll see they have a piece that flares outward to help pull the air in.
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2010 :  10:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize there were air intakes on the sides. I thought that the big grille at the rear of the bus was the only place for any air flow. I'll have to take a closer look nest time I see one of Longview's 2003 model IC RE's. It made more sense to me to draw air from the outside, but with the grille at the BACK of the bus I didn't know.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  05:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes they suck in ... grass leaves and all the stuff swept to the curb.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  1:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

flyboy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  08:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit flyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had dozens of rear engine Amtrans with both 444 and DT engines and the cooling fans are all reverse flow meaning that the fan pushes the air out of the rear of the bus through the radiator and intercooler. Seems to work OK but if there are any oil leaks in the engine compartment this oil film is deposited on the radiator and intercooler which attracts dirt that blocks the radiator and intercooler and causes overheating. The air intake for the engine is located in the plenums on either side at the rear behind the grilles.
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  5:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the side air intakes are for engine air intake only? Or do they also assist with cooling?
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  6:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cooling air goes in the sides, flows over the engine, and through the heat exchangers. The is also a bunch of sheetmetal under the bus to assist this flow strategy that gets in the way of maintenance and repairs...I was glad to see the move away from the rear mounted system.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000