Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  5:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a Rescue unit and a Forestry truck (both Fords) with the VT365. They have low mileage on them but they have already had many more issues than any of our DT466s.

I've never met a v8 diesel, or any V diesel for that matter, that was any good.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

BJ

3 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  08:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have one VT365 and its to many, nothing but problems from the start its a 2005. my last problem is haveing the IDM relay burn out, when I take it out of the conector the one conection is burnt its from the larger red wire that goes into the conector. Could this be just the conector itself or from other wireing problems somewhere. Left me on the road the other day the first time it went, and just burnt out again today. Im a small private operator with three buses, the other two are 466 engines. Im running stanydne fuel conditioner in them this has cleared up the smoking and missing problem in the 365 where other conditioners didn't help much.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  03:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buy a Standard S803 relay base (with pigtails) and put a new relay in it. In order to make the VT365 run, the programming over taxes the 40 amp fuse/circuit in the battery box. Down the road, we have experienced the same melting issue with the clean power harness, the next harhess forward, the relay base/wiring and the relays. It's just because they are demanding too much of the circuit. I now stock all these parts and grab them to go whenever I have a VT365 shut down on the road.

Edited by - Bassman on 01/31/2012 03:56:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

BJ

3 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  4:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit BJ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you bassman. I actually called the dealer yesterday, they told me something simular, but all I did was cut the power wire that originally came from the battery for the IDM, and one of the smaller wires that go to the relay, conect them together and run them to the mega fuse on the fire wall with a fuse in the line. This eliminates the wire in the harness that comes frome the battery, just cut it off at the battery. Has anyone had this problem with 466 engines I haven't yet. My vt365 has 250 thousand km on it and I haven't had any injectors go yet the conditioner seemed to clear up the smokeing problem. Maybe I shouldn't talk they might go tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

READYTECH

2 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  10:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit READYTECH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ModMech, we have 84 rear engine ic buses and have had several issues, at the present time we are having issues with fuel in the cooling systems on several of them, on one unit injector cups were replaced and two weeks later back in the same situation, we were advised to install another set of cups, I know this out of the topic but do you have any input on this subject? It seems these stainless cups are not the condition I suspect a failure in the cylinder head/heads but am not familiar with the cylinder head configuration
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  08:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John hasn't posted here for a long time...in ISIS you should bee able to bring up a crossview of how the injector and the head are configured and that might help. What engine(s), year, etc...You do the cups yourself?
Go to Top of Page

READYTECH

2 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  05:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit READYTECH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mechan1c Sorry for the delay reply these engines are 365's 2004 2005 2006 we do the injector cups in chassis & in house & have just done are first set of glow plug cups in chassis as well, what a challenge, some modifications for three of the glow plug cups as far as the removal tool. Time will tell if this resolves the fuel in coolant condition.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000