Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 white smoke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Big Bear

1 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  8:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Big Bear's Homepage  Reply with Quote
first of all hello to all, i am new here and like this sight already. a little about me im 31 years old and work for a small district in california. im the only mechanic for the 14 buses, 21 white fleet, and any other piece of machinery this district has. i m fairly new to buses. the problem im having with a 2004 thomas bus with a cummins 8.3 isc is that i started blowing a ton of white smoke out of the exhaust. i think i lost a seal in the turbo because there is oil dripping from the muffler. any help is greatly appreaciated, thanks in advance.

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  05:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you lost a turbo one thing is depending on how much oil is in the muffler be careful saw a guy about kill himself taking one off had it on his shoulder and slid it off the turbo pipe and muffler took him for a ride lol
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  07:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be absolutely, 100% certain that no oil got into the charge air cooler too. Made that mistake one time, and once was enough.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  09:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a turbo go bad like that once, only I think it was blowing the oil back into the intake- not right out the exhaust. At that point, the engine started running off of the engine oil, not the fuel. The driver couldn't shut the truck off. The fire department even cut the fuel lines (they were called out because of the intense amounts of white smoke- someone thought the truck was on fire.) It finally died when it ran out of oil.

That was a new DT360 Engine. Only had 700 miles on it at that point, lol.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  5:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had one where the oil accumulation in the CAC ran the bus at about 4-5K RPM until it burned off. Fortunately didn't do any damage to the engine. We've replaced 5 turbos since 2009 - there was a problem with the earlier ones. Here's what Cummins said in TSB 07t10-4:

"This Parts Announcement announces the release of 10 new service kits to address the low cycle fatigue (LCF) and compressor end oil leak issues on the HX40W turbocharger.

The new kits will use a machined-from-solid compressor wheel, Part Number 4035651, to address the low cycle fatigue (LCF) issue. The previous compressor wheel was a cast design with the outer blade contour machined to achieve the desired profile. The new compressor wheel is a machined-from-solid design, which is produced by machining the wheel from a solid billet of aluminum. All surfaces of the machined-from-solid wheel are machined, which improves the strength of the impeller and therefore increases the life of the component.

The new kits also contain a new oil slinger, Part Number 3597783. Oil Leakage is caused by high crankcase back pressure and oil drain restrictions. The new oil slinger has the capability to withstand approximately twice as much back pressure before oil leakage is visible. This improvement greatly reduces the likelihood of compressor end oil leakage."

...and my FAVORITE part:

"NOTE: This is a product improvement and is not subject to campaign."

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Edited by - partsman_ba on 04/24/2012 5:02:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000