New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  7:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am looking for some background info on the warning light visors for a C2. Are they a Thomas part or are they a aftermarket item that can be purchased somewhere other than a Thomas dealer? Are they sold as a full set, as a pair for front or back or are they sold individually with different part numbers? I want to outfit my bus, but the local dealer hasn't seen them and has no idea what I am talking about.

mrwaibel

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  9:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Send mrwaibel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My local school corporation ran into the same problem when they bought a Thomas C2. I told them they needed to put visors on the warning lights because the way their set up the sun hits them at an angle in the front and you can't tell weather their flashing or not especially with the ambers, however the dealers deny their existance and a need for them however ive seen photos of the C2 with visors on school bus central. With visors you create a shaddow around the warning lights and it makes them stand out better and it catches more attention just like the visors you see on Rail Road crossings and stop lights. The C2 8 way warning light design is the poorest ive ever seen. In the front they shine straight up in the air and theirs no adjustment on them since their glued in, also if a driver hits a low tree branch and cracks one of the lenses the whole assemblie has to be cut out and replaced which is a very hard, time consuming and expensive job compared to replacing a standard round assemblie like on the ICs. The visors would also help protect them from breakage.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  03:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They certainly are available, tell the guys in parts to look further than their noses!

http://schoolbuscentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=30&listing=195&listingmode=detail

Matthews Bus Sales or Quality Bus Sales in NY should be able to get you the details and pricing.

Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  06:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our C2 has them or should I say has three of them. One apparently fell off or got knocked off. They are only glued on.
Someone at the dealer suggested I just wait for the others to fall off and save myself the agony of trying to keep replacing them.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  07:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tell your dealer they are required on Virginia buses.... they exist!!!!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  09:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

Tell your dealer they are required on Virginia buses.... they exist!!!!

Yeah, and its strange cause in Maryland they are mandatory and have been since at least as far back as the 60s, but all the Thomas C2's in MD thus far got away without having them. Guess the thomas people proved to Maryland that the lights are just as bright.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  10:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they weren't required until 2007 in VA, so the pre-07s don't have them either

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  6:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Virginia the warning lamp covers were a option in 2007 and cost $42.00 extra. They do exsit in Virginia on some 2007 if they were ordered that way.

On the 08's the paint trim was changed in the specs and thus required a larger black border around the warning lights, thus the covers are required. I have several of these buses in the fleet and have had no issues with the warning lights or the covers. I too believe that the covers should be standard on all buses because I have seen the sun glare out the warning lights on all different brands of buses without the covers.

But yes, there are warning light covers, shields, visors for the C2's.
Go to Top of Page

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  07:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have one 2008 C2 that has these warning light hoods. Pretty wierd looking compared to the 2007 C2 that does not have them. The 2008 bus was a California Spec bus before we got it so I imagine they are required in California. Our 2008 is a little C2 and reminds me of a lunch box. Have a great day, Armando Cuellar Madison Elem Sch Dist #38. Phoenix Arizona.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  08:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The California spec warning light covers are even wierder than the normal ones. They have to stickout so many inches past the bottom of the lamp. I've only seen one picture of them

=
Go to Top of Page

kentuckynascar1
Advanced Member

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  3:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KY's specs for lamp hoods are as follows: they aren't allowed
Go to Top of Page

mrwaibel

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  7:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Send mrwaibel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kentuckynascar1

Thats the crazyst specification Ive ever heard just as bad as California requiring the stop arm be mounted in the rear and not allowing one in the front as well. I would put them on anyway and take them off every year before inspection like the chrome stuff I have on my bus.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  03:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warning lights visors really aren't needed if you ask me, but I do like the way they look. Many districts in NY are no longer spec'ing them on a certain brand of bus, since that particular bus has issues rotting out behind the visor and light. No comment on the brand though!

Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  05:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have yet to see a Thomas bus that the warning light visors are not more trouble than they are worth, my opinion of course

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.

Edited by - origcharger on 04/03/2008 05:40:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  09:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

Warning lights visors really aren't needed if you ask me, but I do like the way they look. Many districts in NY are no longer spec'ing them on a certain brand of bus, since that particular bus has issues rotting out behind the visor and light. No comment on the brand though!

haha.

I always liked the covers too (guess cause thats what I am used too), especially on Waynes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  09:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If they don't serve a purpose why do traffic stoplights have visors over them?

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  12:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speaking of rust...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-NO-RESERVE-International-Wheelchair-bus_W0QQitemZ200213302228QQihZ010QQcategoryZ6728QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  2:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Lord! That is terrible...

Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  6:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That bus looks absolutely horrible

Bring back the "backing" sign!
Go to Top of Page

vbacon

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  3:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vbacon's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All 6 of our C2s came delivered with warning light visors on them. We have only one come off a bus and that was because of the brushes in our bus wash.
Go to Top of Page

ic0730

18 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  09:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit ic0730's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrwaibel

quote:
Originally posted by kentuckynascar1

Thats the crazyst specification Ive ever heard just as bad as California requiring the stop arm be mounted in the rear and not allowing one in the front as well. I would put them on anyway and take them off every year before inspection like the chrome stuff I have on my bus.

im glad im not the only one who tricks the system
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000