New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThomasC2
Top Member

United States
650 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  6:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do they have different kinds of warning light flashes?

Flashing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtiNrb8QxS8&feature=related

And then there is the blinking ones that aren't like that. Does any one know why they have those different kinds of lights, and if they still offer them on school buses, such as IC?

ICRE1607

United States
28 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  7:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They still offer them.

I'll get a video tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  7:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 08BBVision

Why do they have different kinds of warning light flashes?

Flashing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtiNrb8QxS8&feature=related

And then there is the blinking ones that aren't like that. Does any one know why they have those different kinds of lights, and if they still offer them on school buses, such as IC?

Are you talking about the incandescent (the ones on the Vision) versus strobe lights?

Go to Top of Page

ThomasC2
Top Member

United States
650 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  3:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I am. The ones in the video and the ones that blink 3 times on each side.

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  7:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The incandescent lights like the one on the video you posted are still on 90%+ of every school bus, strobe lights and strobing LED lights are still rare, but are becoming more popular. In the next 10 years, I anticipate all bus lighting will be standard LED. LED is the way to go, and pricing goes down every year!
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  01:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think my district uses the Stobe type on the reds to get more attention to drivers on the newer buses. I was driving down the road and saw a school bus with it's stop signs out for about 30 seconds, and of course I stopped...then I see two vechicles just drive past it. That bus had the flashing type like in the video.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  09:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think my district uses the Stobe type on the reds to get more attention to drivers on the newer buses. I was driving down the road and saw a school bus with it's stop signs out for about 30 seconds, and of course I stopped...then I see two vechicles just drive past it. That bus had the flashing type like in the video.

CCSD has spec'd their buses with strobing LED warning lights since the 25XXX models. Their 2006 BB AA RE was ordered with the G2 fusion warning lights (strobing LED lights, with clear lenses), which are really nice!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasC2
Top Member

United States
650 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  10:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. Do they still sell IC CE's with the strobe type warning lights? If they do does anyone have a video?

Go to Top of Page

Ryan2589

United States
98 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  8:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ryan2589's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine flash like the video but slower..IC CE. Around here I have only seen strobes in the stop arm. I'd like to see strobes in the warning lights. I know for the stop arm you can buy a direct replacement for the arm.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  04:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Every bus currently being built is offered with all 3 types of lights...halogen (regular flash), strobe, and LED-strobe. Stop arms are available with incandescent (regular), strobe, and LED-strobe, as well as the less-common "STOP" spelled out in red LEDs.

If retrofitting, LEDs are the way to go, since lights are made that can plug directly into existing wiring. Strobes use high-power flashtubes which require all new wiring running the length of the bus and installation of a large "power pack."
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  05:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

The incandescent lights like the one on the video you posted are still on 90%+ of every school bus, strobe lights and strobing LED lights are still rare, but are becoming more popular. In the next 10 years, I anticipate all bus lighting will be standard LED. LED is the way to go, and pricing goes down every year!

I respectfully disagree.

Especially in cases where an LED retrofit has been performed on an older vehicle that didn't originally come equipped with such (Shelton School District installed all-LED tails and turn signal fixtures on their '79 Gillig, and it looks absolutely god-awful ugly).

My personal preference has always been incandescent warning lamps simply because they're easier to maintain, and parts are less expensive. I've got no problem being able to perfectly see a school bus with standard (tried, tested and proven for over 70 years) incandescent warning lights activated, even in the thickest fog conditions. That, and incandescent lamps just look better.

And as for strobes? While the use of strobes has grown on me somewhat in terms of their use in stop paddles, the only use of strobes outside of that should only be restricted to police, fire, and rescue vehicles.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net

Edited by - Steven A.Rosenow on 12/09/2007 05:16:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  05:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus724

Every bus currently being built is offered with all 3 types of lights...halogen (regular flash), strobe, and LED-strobe. Stop arms are available with incandescent (regular), strobe, and LED-strobe, as well as the less-common "STOP" spelled out in red LEDs.

If retrofitting, LEDs are the way to go, since lights are made that can plug directly into existing wiring. Strobes use high-power flashtubes which require all new wiring running the length of the bus and installation of a large "power pack."

The first stop paddle I purchased on eBay for #6's restoration has (since I still have the thing) strobe flashtubes. The seller purported it as being standard, and I was dissapointed to find that despite trying all connections, I couldn't get the lights on it to work in tandem with my 4-way roof flashers.

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  05:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most buses with strobe stop arms have their own power pack that operates separately from the overheads...another reason I prefer LED lighting is that all of the lights are synchronized. Steve, did you try hooking the stop arm wires directly to the warning light switch (tap into the circuit before the flasher)?
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  05:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus724

Most buses with strobe stop arms have their own power pack that operates separately from the overheads...another reason I prefer LED lighting is that all of the lights are synchronized. Steve, did you try hooking the stop arm wires directly to the warning light switch (tap into the circuit before the flasher)?

I tried everything.

And even some incandescent lighting systems can be synchronized.

The lighting on #6 is.

Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  11:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven A.Rosenow

quote:
Originally posted by Rich

I respectfully disagree.

Especially in cases where an LED retrofit has been performed on an older vehicle that didn't originally come equipped with such (Shelton School District installed all-LED tails and turn signal fixtures on their '79 Gillig, and it looks absolutely god-awful ugly).

My personal preference has always been incandescent warning lamps simply because they're easier to maintain, and parts are less expensive. I've got no problem being able to perfectly see a school bus with standard (tried, tested and proven for over 70 years) incandescent warning lights activated, even in the thickest fog conditions. That, and incandescent lamps just look better.

And as for strobes? While the use of strobes has grown on me somewhat in terms of their use in stop paddles, the only use of strobes outside of that should only be restricted to police, fire, and rescue vehicles.

Longview has retrofitted their enire large bus fleet with LED stop/tail and rear turn lamps, with the exception of the Crowns. While I do agree they would look out of place on a Crown or Gillig, (and I reserve judgement until I actually see that) they actually look decent on the mid-late 80s vintage Thomas ERs as well as the Blue Birds. One thing I found interesting is how Longview speced the last batch of IC-REs from 2003 with LED stop and turn lamps front and rear, but went with incandesent stop sign lamps.

LEDs do make a lot of sense though, and have a long service life, as long as they are well-made to begin with. There are some bad ones out there.

Some newer cars actually are now using 100% LED's for instrument cluster lighting as well as warning lamps. This is a good idea as heat is greatly reduced and you dont have problems of melting plastic which breaks apart circuit boards.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  10:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love LEDs and I fully support them being retrofitted, they look great and last forever. However I think that strobing should be reserved for emergency vehicles. In the darkness of early morning you wouldn't be able to tell if there was a firetruck or school bus down the road.
I wish someone would totally retrofit a bus with all leds. I would love to see the cool white color in the dome lights and instrument panel

Bring back the "backing" sign!
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  11:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It sure ain't happening on 1-07 when I get it or #6...

LEDs just do not belong on older buses.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  3:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
replacement bulbs actaully look better since you can put them in the existing lamp housing. autolumination.com has a bulb that will even look good in a 7" housing that most buses have.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  3:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlueBirdMan

replacement bulbs actaully look better since you can put them in the existing lamp housing. autolumination.com has a bulb that will even look good in a 7" housing that most buses have.

Have you tried them? Or has anyone else and has pictures? I'd like to see what they look like in a 7" lens, specifically if they fill the lens with enough light! The only LEDs I like the look of on an older bus are SoundOff's, and even then you can't get the black arrows etched onto LED turn signals, so these LED bulbs I'd like to know more about. $24 or so per bulb is expensive to experiment with, so I was hoping to discover maybe someone else has experience.

Boy is that Autolumination site flashy. Yikes! www.superbrightleds.com is another website that has similar products.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 12/12/2007 3:29:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  4:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've only used leds in my car but I would think that these would look good in a 7" bus lense...http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/1156_spider2_wm.gif
I've been closely following the replacement led industry and they seem to be a lot better than they used to be. I wish that I could try the newer ones but they just cost too much to test out. Instead of just 24 forard firing leds, the lamps now have 360 degrees of high powered leds. It really depends on the application. I've used lamps from vleds, an ebay store, however i've bought some "xenon' incandescents from Autolumination. This topic is fairly popular in the blue bird wanderlodge forums that i look at from time to time.

Edited by - BlueBirdMan on 12/12/2007 5:26:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  7:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.soundoffsignal.com/signal/stt/7roundld_stt.htm
New line of LED'S by Sound Off Signal- they designed this around the Lotus lights- nice light cluster.
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  8:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The replacement LED bulbs I have seen (which go in existing bulb sockets) have been poorly designed. The problem is that all of the LEDs fire outward, and do not shine off of the reflector housing, and because of this little design flaw, the lights are much dimmer.

One other problem with LEDs is that all new cars use electronic turn signal flashers, and since the LEDs do not draw as much current, the flasher essentialy senses a burned out bulb. I know replacement flasher units are available for LEDs but some cars use a nonserviceable flasher which is part of a hazard switch or some other module. On those you MUST use the specified bulb.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  3:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The old leds only fire forward..now there are replacement lamps that have high powered leds firing in all directions.
Check these out..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-AMBER-SMT-27-LED-TURN-SIGNAL-LIGHT-BULBS-1157-2057_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ018QQitemZ280132179747QQtcZphoto
These are top of the line

Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  08:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NW Crown- that design of the light shining one direction is technology from 5 years ago. Most have gone to a gen 2 style.
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  10:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While on the subject of LED's...

Over the past month or so, Longview's Community Urban Bus Service (known as CUBS) has added to all of its fleet a strobing amber LED light above the yield sign on the left rear of the bus. It gets your attention. However, this light is activated any time the bus has its hazard lights activated when loading or unloading. I almost rear-ended somebody today who slammed on the brakes because they thought the bus was pulling away from the curb, even though it had its hazard lights on.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  11:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When I was in San Francisco the Muni Metro buses had lights on them that seemed to come on before the break lights...at weird times. I couldn't figure out what they were for. They only came on when the buses were moving though. Anybody know?

Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  04:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think I can picture what you're talking about. CAT (Citizens Area Transit) in Las Vegas might have those...on all their buses. There are like two yellow lights that come on and flash like the ambers on a school bus when it's slowing down though.

Like on the following link to 3 lights in the center, but the yellow lights are the ones that flash when the bus slows down? The link is from North American Bus Industries' website if you also want to look around it. http://www.nabiusa.com/about.cfm

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  11:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah thats exactly what i'm talking about

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  3:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A lot of transit buses and coaches are now using "deceleration" lights, which activate (usually flashing) when the driver removes their foot from the gas pedal. This is partly because many transits use transmission retarders, meaning it's more likely for the bus to slow down without the driver applying the brakes hard enough to activate the stop lights.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  5:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

quote:

Have you tried them? Or has anyone else and has pictures? I'd like to see what they look like in a 7" lens, specifically if they fill the lens with enough light! The only LEDs I like the look of on an older bus are SoundOff's, and even then you can't get the black arrows etched onto LED turn signals, so these LED bulbs I'd like to know more about. $24 or so per bulb is expensive to experiment with, so I was hoping to discover maybe someone else has experience.

Boy is that Autolumination site flashy. Yikes! www.superbrightleds.com is another website that has similar products.

Hate to bring up an old topic, but I tried out what I was asking about. I used LED replacement bulbs from that Superbright site I posted. They were the 24-LED models; essentially their midgrade offering. They DID NOT work! Darn! The tail light mode was actually brighter than an incandescent bulb would be, in both the 7" and 4" lights, but the brightness at their full intensity was not at all adequate. It would've been a safety hazard to have my turn signals and brake lamps as dim as they were. You could tell they were on, but I think the sun would've sooner washed them out on a bright day.

Just an FYI, in case anyone else was curious about the results. I should've taken pictures, but forgot.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  6:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hate to bring up an old topic, but I tried out what I was asking about. I used LED replacement bulbs from that Superbright site I posted. They were the 24-LED models; essentially their midgrade offering. They DID NOT work! Darn! The tail light mode was actually brighter than an incandescent bulb would be, in both the 7" and 4" lights, but the brightness at their full intensity was not at all adequate. It would've been a safety hazard to have my turn signals and brake lamps as dim as they were. You could tell they were on, but I think the sun would've sooner washed them out on a bright day.

Just an FYI, in case anyone else was curious about the results. I should've taken pictures, but forgot.

The regular old 24 LED bulbs are one of the worst to buy. These were the first types of bulbs to come out and are extremely dim. The new SMT bulbs are very bright and reflect throughout the whole lense

Go to Top of Page

Lightguy

United States
15 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Weldon LED is a direct replacement to the traditional Weldon light that has been pretty much the industry standard for years. And it should this summer have replaceable diodes which nobody else in the world can do. For the money the Weldon LED warning light is the way to go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000