Posted - 11/11/2007 :  8:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our fleet is 100% synthetic, excellent at - 35 c
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  8:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I don't have a preference either way, any oil requires analysis to ensure that change intervals aren't too long, as well as basic monitoring.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  12:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had very good luck with synthetics. I've used AMSOIL, Mobil One, anything 100% synthetic. Used synthetics in my vans when in business - the one van I kept after selling the business ran over 450,000 miles with oil filter change every six months and oil replacement every 1.5 - 2 years. When I traded the engine to my brother-in-law when his motor home with a newer engine had blown - my same engine model was using less than a quart every 1,000 miles. One of my riding mowers is 21-years old. With an acre of lawn to be mowed - thank God for grandchildren - it has had lots of use. The B&S engine is still going strong on used synthetic oil from my vehicles. I've had to repair or replace about everything else on that mower but no internal repairs to the engine speaks for itself. All of my vehicles have had zero internal engine problems when traded off at 100,000 miles (same filter/oil replacement schedule as the vans.) Started using synthetic transmission fluid in my T-Bird ten years ago after a small internal part stuck and broke at 90,000 miles - cooler running and no issues with over 165,000 miles on that same tranny. I love that car, kept it all these years and still cherry. My brother-in-law still uses regular fluids. He's a professional mechanic and occasional discussion about synthetics have not changed his preference for the cheaper fluids. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 11/12/2007 09:05:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  09:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you just imagine the cost of filling a 466? 32qts @ $5 a quart? I do use synthetic in my smashem up cars, in the engine, trans and rear axle. Abusing a 305 for 3 years on the same oil, over 5000 rpms, overheating every heat. No problems yet. I also run it in my 289. Good stuff!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  12:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The CJ-4 oil is a synthetic blend which I use. Runs about $7.50 a gallon. I also use a full synthetic automatic transmission oil. Runs about $5 a quart BUT this allows oil changes in transmissions to go as long as every 4000 hours of operation or approximately 4-5 years. Works very well. Have not had any trans problems in many years and is recommended by OEM. This has reduced labor costs, filter costs and related other which allows me more time spent doing other work.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  2:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We changed from Delvac-1300S to Delvac-1 3 years ago. Good change, no issues, the higher initial cost has been offset by extended drains. We've always used oil analysis and continue to do so. The DT's and the 3126/C7 deep pans actually do quite well because of all that capacity.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  7:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every engine I have "lost" was due not to oil, but to cooling system problems.

As little as 10 years ago, full synetheic oils offered a very significant advantage to conventional oils. Now, with CI-4 and CJ-4 PLUS ratings, the "gap" is getting pretty narrow.

In every case that I can think of, excessive engine wear was due to excessivley long idle time and the oil dilution that resulted from it, or very long drain intervals.

Having said all that, if you end up with a REALLY HOT engine, or a fuel dilution issue that is not caught very soon, that full synthetic oil you are using just saved you the cost of an overhaul and all the down-time that goes with it.

If I could, I would run Amsoil and run the drain intervals out to the MAX allowed by the manufacturer. Overall, we would save money.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  11:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll add my two cents...

I have been using Mobil-1 synthetic oil exclusively in all of my personal vehicles for about ten years. My daily driver currently has 170,000 miles and I have had it for nine years, one of my other vehicles has been in my family for 22 years (20 years on the engine rebuild) I have not had a single mechanical failure, and on the few occasions I have had to replace a gasket, also noticed how my engines are free of sludge.

Some people say that oil leaks are more frequent with synthetics. I disagree...if a seal/gasket is designed properly it will keep the oil in. The few oil leaks I have had are due to poor designs and leaks were common on them.

I also do not go longer than 3000 mile intervals regardless of type of oil used.

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  1:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
NW, If you were to run oil analysis just once on your personal vehicle you may find that the oil you are draining is still in very good condition. One of the good things about Synthetic is the extended drain interval. This would apply more to a late model vehicle more than it would to a very old vehicle.
I like you have run Mobil 1 in my personal vehicles for many years. As soon as I buy a vehilce I change the oil and poor in Mobil 1. My current import car just turned 201,000 is ten years old and has NEVER had any major work done to the engine. It leaks NOTHING and uses NO oil between oil changes. I average 6500 miles per oil change. I recently started using the Mobil 1 extended service oil which is rated to 15,000 miles. Short of adjusting the valves, replacing timing belts and so forth it has had nothing major done to it. It still gets 38 mpg on highway. I always buy a premium quality oil filter too, not the cut rate job.
As far as buses go. I continue to recommend using hours of operation as the interval meter rather than miles. If I were to convert hours to miles so most can understand the relationship my Cummins ISC engines will average 15,000 miles on an oil change where as my shallow sump Cats will only average 5,000. Oil analysis determines these intervals. I start by using the OEM recommendation and with oil analysis adjust it up or down according to the test results. I have only had one engine failure in seventeen years and that was due to a manufacturing defect. Most of my buses use little or no oil between oil changes.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000