New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  11:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did a quick search on here but didn't find an exact topic.

Based on your professional observations, which batteries do you find to be more effective in a school bus? 8D or Group 31s? Also, how many of each?

Up here in NY, it is mostly (3) Group 31s, and some folks occasionally do (2) 8Ds.

Looking forward to seeing the responses!

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  12:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lean towards the 8D. There are some downsides however: More venting at the caps, a corrosponding need to keep them filled and cleaned, and more weight to lift. The reserve capacity and CCA's are high. In the Seattle are we have a company called DYNO Manufacturing that builds these and other commercial/industrial batteries. Their batteries are bullet-proof and are about all the Pacific fishing fleet will trust out here. They're heavy, and don't have the thin skinny plates that tend to shake out and collapse into the bottom of a cell. Caterpillar HD equipment 8D's are stout as well but really spendy. We're a 2 8D fleet in 60 pushers; the '06 CE's came with 3 group 31's so I'll get a chance to see how that set-up works over time. I have 18 of these CE's with DT466's with 1 year and zero problems so far. I wonder what the life will be like on them?
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  2:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...That damn bug...keep thinking its another fly on my screen...

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  4:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use 3/8 stud group 31s in our fleet. I've had much longer life out of them compared to the 8Ds or even the 4Ds.

I replace the group 31 batteries in our fire trucks every two years (requested by the fire chief) and have run them in municipal trucks for another 4-5 years.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  4:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like 3 of the 31's. At 800cca each you get 2400cca's total. 2 8D's at 1100cca is 2200cca's total. Of course there is other batteries with other cca ratings, but you will usually find you can build more cca's with the 31's.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  7:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want serious power, get some marine 8Ds, especially those AGM ones, ballpark of 245ah, 1500 cca per battery, so 2 would be 3000cca! If that can't start a bus, then that bus has problems. With group 31, marine buys you nothing, still 105ah, 800cca.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  9:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 8D packs a WHOLLOP, but they also give up quickly.

Give me Three GP 31 Stud types ANY DAY for good clean connections, low voltage drop, ease of maintenance, and reliability.

Now, if you are south of the M-D line, than an 8D is probabally the easiest and most cost effective for you. But up north, you need more cranking power than a single 8D can give.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  12:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As a former 8D user I switched to three G31 stud tops rated at 1100 CCA each with 195 RC several years ago. These last as long as the 8D, offer higher combined CCA,are lighter weight and take up less space. If you use the 8D's get the maintenance free type.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000