School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 Status of the First Student-Laidlaw Merger?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  11:27:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
To add to the above post: The deadline has been extended to November 8, 2007.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  6:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the First Student guy

I hope it is some time soon. I am really curious to see which company- Liadlaw or First Student will win.

What do you mean by "win"? It is a merger, they are becoming the same company, not competing with eachother...

First Student, by the way, will be the names on the side of all the buses. Laidlaw will be completely dissolved and turned into First Student.

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  7:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sheesh, Richard....just correct the poster! The "What do you mean?" stuff is unnecessary and would be considered very rude in many parts of the globe. Unless you plan on staying in Nuh Yawwwwk for your entire career...tone it down a little....just a tip from an old fart that has worked all over the world.

BTW, "mergers" are not as simple as you depict...and there indeed can be winners and losers, albeit not in the context of First Student guy's query (ie. the hostile takeover). Anybody know the mechanics of this Laidlaw/FS deal...is it a stock swap? if so, what ratio did the Laidlaw shareholders get?

BTW, I love this recent WSJ/Dow Jones deal....why would Uncle Rupert pay 5 billion for a 2 billion dollar company?? I sure as HELL don't want my financial news "fair and balanced" ala Mr Murdoch!! LOL
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  9:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aquisitions are marriages
mergers are affairs

Or is it the other way around

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 08/12/2007 9:11:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  09:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's no big deal. I believe Laidlaw could pull out if they wanted to. I personally don't think it should be an approved transaction because it is almost like Wal-Mart merging with Target stores.
Go to Top of Page

MeowLeFae

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  5:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I know is that whenever the merger is complete, I will NOT wear one of those gaudy neon-yellow vests that I see the current First Student drivers wear around here

"Bet you never smelled a real school bus before!" (From Ferris Bueller's Day Off)
Go to Top of Page

guzaldo
Advanced Member

421 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  5:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not a merger it's a purchase. Big difference.

The vests are not an option and are intended for the drivers safety.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  09:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well there is a difference but one that can be easily confused. I'd rather see it not go through and Laidlaw be bought out by other companies other than FS. Well MeowLeFae, maybe you'd be able to decorate yours for the holidays!
I'd feel the same way about wearing them. Why doesn't the whole world wear a vest so no one gets hit by a school bus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mergers_and_acquisitions

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 08/24/2007 09:23:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeowLeFae

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  4:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 80-RE4

Well MeowLeFae, maybe you'd be able to decorate yours for the holidays!

Hehehe don't tempt me!

"Bet you never smelled a real school bus before!" (From Ferris Bueller's Day Off)
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  6:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I also work with a great crew of drivers, and I think our contract manager is one of the better TD's I've worked with. My problem with the company is above that level.

The pay rate is insulting. Policies are applied unfairly to different employees. Discipline only occurs when we have enough drivers. The company has no respect for us. Our regional director of operations actually said at a meeting that we're "bodies to fill the seat." Believe it or not, at the same meeting, he said he wants to make sure we don't send the message that FS isn't a good place to work.

I'm working for FS for one more year, after which I'm moving to another state (where FS doesn't have any contracts). If not for that fact, I'd be looking for a new job now...I don't want to start somewhere else knowing I'll be quitting next summer.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  10:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the First Student guy

You know, First Student is not what makes the bus company bad. It is just the types of people you work with. At my bus company, we have a lot of really cool bus drivers. I can't understand how you guys out there say that it is so bad, it's not!

I strongly disagree. It's the company that can make the employees not like each other. I used to love working for Laidlaw until they started their bull. Stealing from us- they knew it.

I've worked with many people past and present who've worked/work (i've worked at Laidlaw) at many of these companies and it's not all what you think it is.

I thought Laidlaw was a greedy company, but I think FS and Durham are tied for first as the worse.

(NOTE: THIS IS FROM A WEBSITE <The material below, they are not nec. my views!!)
Start--

Problem: the Employers
Our employers are First Student, Laidlaw and Durham School Services, the top three providers of school bus transportation services in the country. It is in large part due to a hardworking and dedicated staff of school bus workers that these companies are so successful.

And they are successful. The profits these companies rake in are astronomical. These multinational corporations are able to maximize their profits by minimizing costs. This shifts the burden onto qualified, well-trained school bus workers employed by these companies.

At unorganized privatized school bus yards all over the country, school bus drivers, attendants and mechanics are often faced with low wages, inadequate and unaffordable health insurance and a lack of respect. This is starting to change, as more and more workers are forming a union and negotiating for improved work standards.

Please click on the below links to find out more about our employers—First Student, Laidlaw and Durham School Services, including information on their global reach, profit margins and union density. Read more about the latest developments in FirstGroup’s buyout of Laidlaw.

First Student
If you think that First Student is a small, struggling organization—think again. First Student, is a global company that is more than making ends meet, while we struggle to do the same for our families. First Student Can Afford To Treat Us Right!

Laidlaw
Laidlaw continues to fight unionization at its non-union facilities. The lack of benefits, poor treatment and unsafe working conditions continue to push many Laidlaw employees to seek union representation.

Durham School Services
As is typical in this industry Durham has consistently violated school bus workers’ freedom to form a union. Despite strong annual profits the company has a record of low pay and benefits and harsh working conditions. Many Durham workers recognize the need for unionization.

Buyout of Laidlaw?
In February 2007, FirstGroup announced its intended $3.6 billion takeover of Laidlaw International, creating a multinational transport company that controls more than 40 percent of the U.S. private school bus transportation market. What effect might this takeover have on the employees and the market?

http://www.schoolbusworkersunited.org/problem-the-employers/

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 08/25/2007 08:21:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

guzaldo
Advanced Member

421 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  04:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should serve cheese and crackers with all the whine.

This is a free country, slavery was abolished after the civil war, the economy is booming, under 4% unemployment in most urban areas (thank you "W") are you getting my drift. All a union is going to get you is monthly dues and putting someone between you and your management it is not nirvana.

Don't whine about all the things you can't change, change the things you have control over, that might mean getting in a different field of employment.
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  07:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil move to the otherside of CT (Northwest Corner). Several Small Companys along with All-Star and DATTCO. The only lots that are Frist Student is in Watertown, but thats a few miles away.

I think Laidlaw and First Student can be tied for worst. Durham - I have heard nothing bad about them. Laidlaw screwd my district and others back in 98 when they bought Dufour, and made contracts void. First Student - I have heard too many bad things that go on in America along with Britain. But I will give the upper hand to Laidlaw, they screwd First Student on having any chances in NW CT, they sold those contracts to All-Star, but the reason for the selling those contracts - they want out of CT.

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  08:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guzaldo

You should serve cheese and crackers with all the whine.

This is a free country, slavery was abolished after the civil war, the economy is booming, under 4% unemployment in most urban areas (thank you "W") are you getting my drift. All a union is going to get you is monthly dues and putting someone between you and your management it is not nirvana.

Don't whine about all the things you can't change, change the things you have control over, that might mean getting in a different field of employment.

If you were working for the Laidlaw branch I was working for, you'd be wearing a sign that read "Stop Slavery". Thankfully they lost the contract and a compitent company took over, where there was no need for a union.

I'll take some cheese and crackers. PS: I'll take some real WINE before routes start up too. Something on the light side as I"m not a big drinker.

(What I had posted was from a website!)

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 08/25/2007 08:20:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

guzaldo
Advanced Member

421 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  08:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty good truism - an orginazation is a long shadow of the leader of that organization.

In other words a business unit is only as good as the local manager.

Go to Top of Page

School Bus M8
Top Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  1:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit School Bus M8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First Student screwed over the town I live in. The town I live in was in its first year of the contract for the 2006-2007 school year. The contract stated that the buses could not be older than 2002's. Well First Student kept the 1997's in the town and used the 2002's as spares for broken down buses in a neighboring town. So in other words this town wasn't getting what they paid for. For both of these towns their buses were not maintained due to no mechanic and too many problems on the buses to keep up with. As a result of this last year one 1997 bus had a brake failure with 60 middle school and high school kids on it one morning. Another time a buses reverse lights and beeper would go on spontaniously while the bus was in drive. The bus had to be used on it's routes for days before anything could be done about it. Can you imagine sitting at a traffic light in a very busy intersection and all of a sudden your reverse light are going on? Can you imagine all the cars beeping at you and the nervousness of the vehicles behind you when that light turned green and they thought the bus was going to back into them? Can you imagine how foolish you look pulling into an elementary school with your reverse lights on? I can! They couldn't even replace the bus with a spare because all the spares were being used.
Finally someone let the cat out of the bag and school administrators did a surprise inspection of the buses. 4 days later the 2002's were in the town but by that time the 2002's were in worse condition than the 1997's. Dried up puke in the back with mold growing on it, seats all ripped up to the extreme, bangs and dents on the buses, speedometers failing, a windshield wiper breaking one bus was actually in service for three days then taken out of service for the rest of the year due to under the hood problems. Mind you all these problems plus more were happenig in a period of 1 month. There are only 9 buses in this town! A few days later admisistrators inspected these buses and they were again not satisfactory. As a matter of fact I know the parents have got wind of this to because I was approached by one at a store and was questioned by them. BTW it was May when these buses were put into service in their rightful town one month before school ended. The buses should have been put in in September! My theory with used buses being handed over to another town is the same as buying a used car. If I bought a used car from a dealership I would expect to get it in half decent shape, not all dirty covered in puke with mold growing on it!

Heres a saying I like to use Guzaldo,

A company knowingy not providing a service that has agreed to due by contract is not good practice. I think theres a name for that oh yeah FRAUD!

Edited by - School Bus M8 on 08/26/2007 3:27:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

School Bus M8
Top Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  5:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit School Bus M8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The point is my district shouldn't had to endure the problems of a 1997 school bus not properly maintained . My district specified in their contract that the buses had to be 2002's or newer NOT 1997's. Instead First Student kept the 1997's from the last contract in the my district and used the 2002's in a neighboring town(that has 2001's but allows buses to be up to 10yrs. old)as spares. While as spares these 2002's endured a lot of rear and tear. Don't feel bad for the company that would be like feeling bad for a for a sleezy used car dealer that knowingly just sold a lemon to unsuspecting car buyer.

I just don't understand how this company thinks it can handle Laidlaw when they can't handle what they already have.

Kind of reminds me of those car fax commercials

10 year old buses.
Well broken in buses

Edited by - School Bus M8 on 08/26/2007 5:33:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  03:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"If you were working for the Laidlaw branch I was working for, you'd be wearing a sign that read "Stop Slavery". Thankfully they lost the contract and a competent company took over, where there was no need for a union."

I agree with 80-RE4, noting in addition that the slavery mentality is not exclusive to any single contractor or public school bus service, nor exclusive to management.

I've been through a variety of leaders/managers and their individual management styles over a period of nearly two decades with the same employer.

I've watched new hires and longer term bus drivers work with an adequate attitude that the excellent leader improved on or the employer's option to release the employee from the workplace brought to legitimate conclusion.

I've watched some of the very best bus drivers and superb assistant managers with impeccable attitudes leave a facility rather than put up with an arse manager.

I've only had to terminate two employees during my management days - one was let go within two weeks and the other I absolutely hated to let go because he made me so much blasted money year after year. He actually made the profits to cover virtually all my facility's overhead. But that employee defrauded one of our clients and there was no chance he could pay back the client within that client's tolerable satisfaction.

In all but one of my management positions I also had control over who was hired and who was let go. In a more bureaucratized environment where someone else does the hiring and firing decisions would myself have difficulty with such an arrangement. Would think it absolutely critical to make good use of the time during the new hire process and the daily workday with already hired bus drivers looking at understanding their needs.

Would also think it also important to be on good terms with whoever actually hires and fires the employees.

The on task and aware interdependent leader probably could separate out most any employee's attitude that he or she does not want in the workplace mix. John Farr would be a superb resource to any leader working in a bureaucratized management environment. That fellow ought to have written a book.

Management can be tough work for some -- a breeze for others. (jk)

Click Here for link to a 24-Question Self-Exam by Bob Sutton

Note: Free brochure (MS Word template) providers can produce and give to parents - "The seven highly effective steps to keeping your child safe" - Click Here for Link

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 08/27/2007 03:26:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

School Bus M8
Top Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  11:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit School Bus M8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I cant blame my manager. My manager is a great manager. She just makes the best out of the tools she is given. I hate this saying but when she gets lemons she makes lemonade
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  6:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob,

Just curious...are you still working for the same location you were at last year, or are you at a different one now?
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  07:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that Laidlaw had C2 buses, I saw one the other night in Boston.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  10:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh...The one I saw def. said LAIDLAW on it. I've also been seeing this charter-type bus (coach bus) that says Laidlaw on it. It's not a school bus. Since when has Laidlaw been having these type of buses because I don't think they had them when I worked for Laidlaw, which was 2001-2005.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  2:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laidlaw has all kinds of coach buses around here, as well as transit buses (Gillig, New Flyer).

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

School Bus M8
Top Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  10:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit School Bus M8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

Hey Bob,

Just curious...are you still working for the same location you were at last year, or are you at a different one now?

I'm in 2 yards which by the way I really like. I have the best of both worlds. I left for a while because I now live in Woburn and worked for both Atlantic Express and First Student. I went back to First Student because of college. I was driving in Woburn for AE in the morning, then driving down to the South Shore for school, then driving back up to Woburn for my PM run, then driving back down to the S.Shore for my second job then driving back to Woburn. This way I drive down to the S.Shore go to work, go to school, work again, go to my second job in Canton then go back home to Woburn.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  5:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thursday afternoon the manager at out LaidLaw base said that the merge has been made. And that October first we would start seeing the changes.

I found it funny that I couldnt find anything on line saying this.
Anyone know if this is true ?

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

NathanW
Advanced Member

United States
313 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  6:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember, I'll ask my manager at First Student on Monday (not sure I'll remember though).

Nathan--Driver Extraordinaire
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  8:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thursday afternoon the manager at out LaidLaw base said that the merge has been made. And that October first we would start seeing the changes.

I found it funny that I couldnt find anything on line saying this.
Anyone know if this is true ?

A decision is expected by October or November. I'm sure we would've heard about the approval by now if it was true.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  10:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
NAPERVILLE, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 26, 2007--Laidlaw International, Inc. (NYSE:LI) today announced that Laidlaw and FirstGroup plc have reached an agreement with the attorneys general of eleven U.S. states which have expressed interest in the proposed acquisition of Laidlaw by FirstGroup plc. In addition, Laidlaw and FirstGroup expect the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice to grant early termination of the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act waiting period later this week, thereby permitting the proposed acquisition of Laidlaw by FirstGroup to close. Laidlaw and FirstGroup expect to complete their merger on October 1, 2007

http://www.laidlaw.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=145371&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1055886&highlight=

Edited by - 78fordwayne on 09/27/2007 10:14:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

School Bus M8
Top Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  3:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit School Bus M8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I heard just the opposite today. I heard tht the government won't allow them to merge. Has anyone else heard this?
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  6:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if LaidLaw will start useing the Zonars for pre-trips ?
My bus being a X First Student bus had the Zonar on it. Last week they removed it. That makes me think that there not going to use them once we switch back to First Student on Monday

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  6:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Zonar is only used in some FS locations. If it's been removed, then chances are you won't have it installed. However, the Check-Mate / Theft-Mate system is being installed company-wide for FS and most likely will be on all Laidlaw buses in the near future.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  6:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes we got the child check system put on all are buses. Im not sure about the theft mate system
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  04:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a motion sensor on the bus? That's the main component of theft-mate.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  09:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter

Is there a motion sensor on the bus? That's the main component of theft-mate.

No , not that I know of
Go to Top of Page

AMTK207

United States
110 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  2:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit AMTK207's Homepage  Send AMTK207 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Robert, what kind of bus do you drive? Also, does your terminal have any type-A's with the white roof/rear a/c package?

First Student 224933: 2003 Thomas Minotour, T444E/7.3l Powerstroke Diesel engine, white roof/tinted windows, front/rear AC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000