New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  09:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like I'll be buying this bus that I've had my eyes on now for about 2 years. Its very clean as its from Alabama, has the lift and a 15000 trailer reciever. 179K, tires are good, batteries are shot. Looking at $2,500 which is a little high, but I'm helping out the guy as he is handy capped, and the rig is really clean which saves me from going south on a road trip to get one. Its going to basically fill the needs of a family truck/van/camper thing, and will be converted to run on veggy (WVO). My only wish is that it had the DT466/643 combo I just sold in it. Maybe someday, although I'll be it does OK with the DT360 in it.
Dave

Edited by - asnowsquall on 03/27/2007 09:11:50 AM

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  10:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I don't see many 360's around by me unfortunatly. For older engines around here its about 75% 7.3/t444, 20% dt466, and the other 5% is 407's and 360's.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  1:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually in my experience and opinion the DT360 is a far superior engine to the 466. My old regular route bus has a 360 in it and hasn't been out a day for engine trouble in about 7 years.
Go to Top of Page

93CarpFord#11
Top Member

USA
1382 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  2:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit 93CarpFord#11's Homepage  Send 93CarpFord#11 an AOL message  Click to see 93CarpFord#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 93CarpFord#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Those 360s are tough engines. My county still has a '93 Genesis with a 360 running a daily route and that bus runs strong.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  6:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I tried sticking my charger on the batteries and it wigged out. The rig is parked real close to a fence so I pulled out the 6 bolts that hold the battery door on and yanked the door off. Pulled all 3 different brand batteries out, no dates, 1 had no fluid anymore, the other had fluid but you could see where the plates are breaking down, and I didn't bother looking at the 3rd. The highest voltage of the three was .8 VDC (notice thats point 8 volts) I've got some batteries so I charged them up and installed them. Started up OK for sitting for so long. Runs decent, shifts good. Ride is pretty bouncy. 55-60 mph tops I think.
List of things wrong:
Passenger side window cracked and I don't think it will pass inspection.
Thermostat stuck open so she won't come up to temp.
Right front brake is dragging so its getting HOT. May be just a matter of cleaning up the slides on the caliper, or .....
High beam clicker does nothing, no reverse lights, some markers out.
Need 3 new batteries.
Tires are OK, no visable dry rot, fair tread.
Needs a real good cleaning as it looks like crap with all the green fungis on it.
To me this is like a $1,000 rig, mostly because its been sitting for so long. Inspection was due Aug 2004. That all said, I think it would be fun to play with for a while and it doesn't take up near as much room as a full size. Oh and my last insurance place was State farm and all I had was a bus insured with them and they said they can't insure me like that anymore. Called Allstate and they said no problem, $129 a year for liability!
Dave

Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  6:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, That bus looks great for an '89. I could just be me, but I find it odd that that old of a bus has disc wheels, most of them had spoke rims back then. I like the disc better though.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  12:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does, especially for VT. Called a spring shop and they said they could most likely take a spring or two out. Called a glass shopo and they said the windsheild would come from Bluebird. Called bluebird and they gave me local distributor number, called them and they said to old for their list so they are calling Bluebird tomorrow. Hope the glass is good in the rig I took to the scrapyard, its a 92 but looks the same in the pictures.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  4:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asnowsquall

Called a glass shopo and they said the windsheild would come from Bluebird. Called bluebird and they gave me local distributor number, called them and they said to old for their list so they are calling Bluebird tomorrow. Hope the glass is good in the rig I took to the scrapyard, its a 92 but looks the same in the pictures.

As far as I know the new Blue Birds use the same windshield. Just have them look it up for like a 2000 or something
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  5:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to check the local junkyard where I sent BUS 13 to meet its fate and see if the windsheild is still whole. Glass shop said $65 to install. I just have to get the good one out whole if it still exists. Its a 1992 and from the pictures I have it looks the same.
Here it is on its way. I've got its drivetrain sold, should be going tomorrow AM for $2,500.

Edited by - asnowsquall on 03/29/2007 5:22:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  8:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That bus looks great. I just sold a '91 Ward shorty with the DTA360... it had been sitting for about two years (although started every now and then), leaked oil, rear brake lines were shot, exhaust was shot, shock absorbers were shot, master cylinder was bad, horn didn't work, headlights didn't work, parking brake sticks, windshield washer fluid pump didn't work, heater booster pump didn't work, stepwell was rotting off, and the list goes on. I got $1000 for it. Those 360's hold their value. $2500 for a bus that looks like that one does and has a lift is worth every penny of $2500. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 360. It's my personal favorite engine. We have four '93 Blue Birds as spares where I drive, and those things are very reliable. I've driven 360's that had better power than older 466's. I'd say go for it with this bus purchase.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
$80 for a new windsheild and I can also have the one at the scrap yard for free, think I'll grab both and save the extra drivers side. Time to make an offer.
Go to Top of Page

contactbluebird

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  1:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit contactbluebird's Homepage  Click to see contactbluebird's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We have a 1994 BB/Int shorty DT360....air cond,,,air brakes...205,000 miles...we still use it as spare...to me...best starting bus in the whole fleet (72). All it's had has been a water pump installed 3 years ago. Now that dependability!
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  2:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Verbal agreement over the phone for $2,000 without the lift. I have one in my garage. He isn't advertising and I believe he is honorable so the deal should go down on Monday. COOL!
This little diamond in the rough will shine up real good, and its in good hands.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  3:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ Go looking bus, Its even nicer than the one you sold. Post Interior pictures when you get a chance and maybe even the engine running if you wouldn't mind. Sure wish i could trade my Harley Golf Cart for a bus of that size with that engine.

SEEEEEEEEE YAAAAAAAAAAAA and good luck,

bluebirdvision

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  4:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Way cleaner than the one I sold. I think I'll like the 360, but I know I'll miss the drivetrain combo of the other bus as it was strong and did 75mph comfortably. Then again I'm in no rush. Just stopped by to show my daughter again and she said its cleaner inside than the school bus she rides in. Should be fun. I think my dad, 7 year old daughter and I will go get the windsield out at the junkyard tomorrow.

Edited by - asnowsquall on 03/30/2007 4:25:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  11:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My '93 Bluebird with the 360 and Allison 545 tops out at around 67-68 under normal circumstances... if you're going down hill with a tail wind you can hit 70.

Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  4:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My parents are up visiting so I took my dad over to check it out, that was fun. Pulled it out and got some pictures. Notice the green shmegma which I'm sure will come off relatively easy.
There is always the D/A.

Drivers side has a air seat, he said he paid $1,000 for the three seats.

A "barn door" concept that I have, software helped me do this one. I think its kind of cool. Just needs LED tail lights.
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  6:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although its not in my yard yet, it is mine, and its registered and insured. I'll drive it home next Monday or Tuesday. Flying down to Georgia tomorrow to pick up a Mercedes 240D.
Wish me luck.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  09:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
asnowsquall,

Nice little bus you have bought. I hope someday to purchase such a bus. Would you please inform us after you drive it how the ride is (bouncy.) Heres to long lasting BBs and their drivers. O also tell us wether you like that driver's seat or not.

Good Luck,

bluebirdvision

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 04/03/2007 09:22:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  09:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I am REALLY loopy today, I already posted on the bus, sorry about the double post.

bbvision

Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  2:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I got the bus and its really cool. The only thing is it seems like a dog, especially on the hills. So the first thing I think is the air cleaner or something with the boost. Then I start looking for a place that I can tap in and put a boost gauge, and what do I find but a spot where the fuel shotoff cable had been rubbing on a boost pressure line that goes to the Injection Pump. Must be this line regulates the fuel mixture so that its richer when there is boost. I'm guess this is what its for. Will be interesting what this does for the power. I was maxing out at about 60 mph at 2,600 rpms.
Also need to install the new thermostat so the engine will come up to temp, then I'll change the oil and all of the filters.
Check out the pictures, safe to say I wasn't getting any boost, or rich fuel.

Edited by - asnowsquall on 04/10/2007 2:25:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
once you get everything fixed up, it should good. can't wait to see what all you do it. one thing i noticed, the back door- or should i say doors? i've never seen a bus w/ double back doors like that. really opens up the possibilities for setting things up when camping & stuff.

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  05:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well its just a software concept at this point, for now. I'd also like to move the handy cap lift to the rear of the vehicle so that the front of the rig can be all seating, and the rear all bussiness!
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  09:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I changed the thermostat so temps come up where they should be, 170 on my gauge.
Repairing the line made a big difference in seat of the pants performance. Top speed is the same but the same hills are around 10 mph faster now, like 45-50 mph instead of 35-40. I would like to see if I can figure out if its governed for 60 mph, must be. This engine should be able to take more than 2,750 rpm's shouldn't it? Think I do some research. Just have to wire up the headlights as someone did what looks like a little hack job when the put in the handy cap controls for the PO. Then I need to get the reverse lights working and then its off for inspection.
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  3:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cleaning up nice! Green scum is coming off relatively easy. Paint is tired for sure but what a clean old bus. Fits in my driveway, small and easy to drive IMO, I could see driving this most anywhere. Love it. What a gift.

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  3:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow that looks great. You are doing a great job with it. That is a beautiful bus.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  4:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That bus certainly cleaned up nicely. Looks very nice, and I don't even see any rust on it. How lucky you were to come across it, especially with that 360 under the hood! Thanks for keeping us updated with pictures.

Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  04:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments, I'm amazed the more I work on it how rust free it really is. I figured out the wiring for the headlights and will have tem working as soon as I get some small connectors. The reverse lights: All I've done so far is to check connections at the tranny (Allison 545), and measure to see if there was any voltage when the lights were turned on an the gear selector in Reverse. No voltage on two things that look like the could be switches, one being on the same side as the mechanical gear selector coming into the tranny. Where should I be looking? Is the switch on the tranny or the gear selector inside on the dash?

The Bus has a nice spot between the rear frame rails, in back of the rear axle, and in front of the rear bumper for a 60 gallon veggy oil tank which I also pulled from the scrap bus.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  11:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dropped it off for inspection. Sounds like it needs front king pins to pass.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

AMTK207

United States
110 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  6:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit AMTK207's Homepage  Send AMTK207 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asnowsquall

Dropped it off for inspection. Sounds like it needs front king pins to pass.
Dave

Please keep us updated!

First Student 224933: 2003 Thomas Minotour, T444E/7.3l Powerstroke Diesel engine, white roof/tinted windows, front/rear AC
Go to Top of Page

Allamericanre
Advanced Member

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  09:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta love those '89s! I'm looking at a '95 Ford BB Cummins (in the signature) or a '89 International like yours (with a DT466).

http://www.flickr.com/groups/schoolbus/

Edited by - Allamericanre on 04/29/2007 09:36:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  2:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I had the kingpins done by a professional. I was running on a WVO/diesel mix for a short time, had complication on my Mercedes running on the mix so I went back to straight diesel on both rigs. I replaced the calipers at all 4 corners with rebuilt units from my local international dealer for like $90 ea for the fronts and $70 for the rear. New pads for the rear were $90. Brakes are great now. Love the rig. Just packed it with leaves again. Also started spray the underneath with a mix of Bar and Chain Oil and tranny fluid to stop any rust and protect the metal. So far I've got about $3,250 into it. Next spring it will get paint. Always keeping my eyes open for a 466, but thats a lot of work...
Best part is the kids love it!
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  09:20:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
asnowsquall,

Do you have any update front end shots of the bus? Its in really nice shape. You should take video of it running so we can all hear it.

Thanks,
bluebirdvision

Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  10:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the barn doors are a concept of mine that I did with software. I think it may look better without the big lights above and then I would have to come up with brake, turn, and reverse lights. Round or square LED's maybe. In the bumper? Should try all that with the software and see how it looks. I do have all of the hardware to install the 2nd door if I decide to so it. Thanks for the compliments. I'll take some video for sure. Sure wish I still had the bus with the DT466/MT643 to slap in this one. I think this bus is governed at 60 mph and its at about 2,800 rpms. For $3,250 I think its the most metal for the money. Just wish it had 4x4 and could put a plow on it. That would be sick.
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  11:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, a if a DT360 doesn't have too much torque, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't, you could take the transfer case from an old Jeep and make it 4x4 :)

It can also be re-geared for more speed if needed.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

LBDboater
Advanced Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  1:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you need 4x4? Unless off-roading, you probably won't need it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000