Carpenter to Thomas Transplant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  7:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hello all!

I know of a local Carpenter that is being scrapped soon, and it has pushout windows that I would like for my Thomas. I know that each body is different, but the windows in this 1983 Carpenter look sooo similar to those in my 1985 Thomas (and I know for a fact that they use some identical components) so I am wondering, will they fit in my Thomas?

Thanks!

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  9:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

Have you measured the windows on the Carpenter and your Thomas to compare the measurements?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  05:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

Hi Mike,

Have you measured the windows on the Carpenter and your Thomas to compare the measurements?

No, that was my biggest concern, and I was hoping someone might be able to contribute that. The idea came to light in a five minute conversation with the owner of the bus being scrapped, and both of ushad to be on our way, so no measuring was possible.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  2:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mmmm...aren't the frames entirely different? Carpenters attached via a wide flange on the inside while Thomas fit snugly into the opening and were screwed in from the sides? Or did that start with Carpenter later?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  4:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

mmmm...aren't the frames entirely different? Carpenters attached via a wide flange on the inside while Thomas fit snugly into the opening and were screwed in from the sides? Or did that start with Carpenter later?

Thanks, this is helpful if you think it won't fit. In pitures of buses from the same years, I noticed that they were screwed in from the flange. I was hoping that the flange was the same size, and that Carpenter and Thomas just used it differently.

If anyone knows of the measurements, then that would help me eliminate the possibility right away. Just thought I'd investigate the opportunity.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  8:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Putting Carpenter parts on a Thomas Built, I'm sure that makes Peley A. Thomas roll over in his grave.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  1:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas86_a

Putting Carpenter parts on a Thomas Built, I'm sure that makes Peley A. Thomas roll over in his grave.

Nahhh, after seeing his company sold to a bunch of dang fureigners...I think "Peley" can handle ANYTHING!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000