New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Landstryker

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  06:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning,
Question and request from a newbie (did I hear a collective groan?), about a 1995 Carpenter Bus (flatnose- front engine) 72 passenger with a Cummins 6BT (5.9 l) engine and an automatic tranny. I just purchased the bus for family road trips (and to haul our dogs and musical equipment), so it needs to be reliable. I appear to have no major mechanical issues (just completed a 300+ mile trip from where I picked up the bus to home), runs fine, good temp, good oil pressure, etc. However, there are a lot of minor wiring issues, and a manual would really help. I know I could figure this out eventually (I am an engineer and restore old Diesel Mercedes for a hobby), but I also know every vehicle has some idiosyncrasies, and every brand has tricks and shortcuts to make things work better. I also have one specific issue with the brake booster. There is an electric pump mounted on the master cylinder, which also appears to be tied into the power steering system. I repaired the wiring going to the pump, got it working OK, but still have no brake assist, w/wo engine running (high-hard pedal, brakes will stop you, but takes all of my 260 lbs to do it). So, if anyone has/knows of a manual for this bus (or similar), or can point me in the right direction on the brake problem, it would be greatly appreciated, and I am certainly willing to pay for a manual in readable condition. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Edited by - Landstryker on 07/22/2007 07:05:35 AM

sbfreader

153 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  06:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your best bet might be to contact a former Carpenter dealer that might have that type of document. I have provided some school bus dealers that represented Carpenter around the '95 and beyond time period and who they are affiliated with now so you can look up their phone numbers. Typically, there are relatively few changes in buses from year to year so a manual from just before or after the model year of the bus you have may work just fine.

Myers Equipment (OH) - Thomas dealer presently
TESCO (OH) - Collins/Mid Bus dealer
Wolfington Body (PA) - IC dealer presently

That's a start anyways. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Landstryker

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  07:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I certainly appreciate the info and will follow up on the suggestion.

Just because it is the "New, Improved Design"... doesn't necessarily make it better.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  11:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also try Gorman Bus Sales in New York State, they sold a number of FE units and may have something to help you!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000