Cadillac Horns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  3:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know...not exactly the place to ask, but I was hoping maybe some of you would know. Where might I be able to purchase new 12V electric horns similar (if not identical) to the ones found in Cadillacs and Buick Park Avenues? I think they're a five-note horn, because they sound just like Nathan Mfg. five-chime train horns. I can't find anything electric that's over a two-note.

My bus's horn is a little tired, and I'd like to put something substantial in its place. In the future I'd like true train horns, but that's not a purchase I should make right now. So since I must go electric, I'd like to find a Cadillac/Buick horn.

Your input is always appreciated. Thanks!

Bus9709
Top Member

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  4:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus9709's Homepage  Click to see Bus9709's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A train horn on a bus....I like the idea.
Go to Top of Page

drivin4safety
Advanced Member

United States
259 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  4:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Send drivin4safety a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say check the J.C. Witney catalogs but I haven't seen one of those for years. Myself I'd like to get Ambulance style horns on my bus. You know extra large, extra loud, and mounted in special openings in the bumper. Our FD trucks/engines are set up that way too. You might try e-bay
Mike
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  9:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe some of the late 90s-early 2000s Park Avenues used a total of four horns, I would think the Cadillacs would also, as they sound similar to the Park Avenues. I would imagine you could still buy them from GM, or maybe a wrecking yard.
Go to Top of Page

Nate

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  08:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Nate an AOL message  Click to see Nate's MSN Messenger address  Send Nate a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
But wouldn't that mean you need alternating ditch lights and a bell?

Hold my mountain dew and watch this.

Edited by - Nate on 04/29/2007 08:05:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  08:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really love the musical sound of a train horn. I wouldn't mind having a K5 on my bus, except they are just too loud and they draw the police. I'd really like to have something that sounds the same, but just at about 50% the volume. Anybody know of a weaker sounding horn that still has that musical brilliance? Most truck horns usually sound too low and blatty to me.

Edit: I know what I need. A Dixie Horn! Afters all, I dun be from the deep south...

Edited by - International-9.0 on 04/29/2007 08:27:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  03:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much better idea than the day I showed up with a spare bus to do my license renewal road test and of course I'd forgotten to check the horn until the examiner was next to me. Pushed it and heard a low 'Hooooooogahhhhhh' sound. Looked under the hood and someone had installed some horn assembly next to the original one. A swap of the wire connection and I was back up and running but while it was funny to me the examiner failed to crack a smile.

He also failed to be amused as I constantly reached over for the stick on the automatic-equipped unit. Must not have been having a good day.

JC
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  09:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies in this. Of course we didn't get to a source of the horn, but now we know for sure that I'm not the only one who has seen these horns. Maybe I can call GM and get the part numbers for these separate horns. I took a peak under an '84 Cadillac hood just the other day. It had four horns, and all were AC Delcos. I'll be happy to get a stronger sound under my hood.

quote:
Originally posted by JC Theriault

...while it was funny to me the examiner failed to crack a smile.

He also failed to be amused as I constantly reached over for the stick on the automatic-equipped unit. Must not have been having a good day.

Isn't that always the case? My road testers (I've had two so far, one for regular license, one for CDL) never cracked a smile. I'd hate to be stuck in an empty room with them. It's like the DMV, State Police, or whoever trains these people takes a humor vacuum cleaner and ***** the joy right out of 'em.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  3:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should stop coming here with my questions; I seem to get them answered with easy resources, so I feel like I'm wasting your time! That's not to say you guys are unhelpful, because you are very helpful, if for nothing else, moral support then. I'll just kick myself for not first looking it up on AC Delco's site. If anyone is interested, the horns in the Park Avenues and Cadillacs are listed below:

http://198.208.187.182/internet/VehiclePartDescription.jsp?application=Car%2FLight+Duty+Truck&year=1994&make=BUICK&model=PARK+AVENUE+ULTRA&engine=V6+3.8L+231cid+GAS+FI+S+Engine+VIN+%3D+1++++++&keyword=horn

That search is for a Buick Park Avenue Ultra, but the Cadillac search would bring up the same horns. I'm not sure where the fourth one ever is...perhaps they use one twice.

In my research across various parts websites (NAPA, PartsAmerica, Ryder Fleet Source), these horns are between $20 and $40 a pop. For that much, I think maybe I'll just hold out for air horns. Perhaps in the mean time I might stumble across a Cadillac or Buick in a junkyard I'm friendly with.

Thanks for your support, as always!

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 05/01/2007 3:56:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

drivin4safety
Advanced Member

United States
259 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  5:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Send drivin4safety a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey don't worry about asking questions here, it gives me at least a chance to think a little and use some of the info in my head that would otherwise gather dust.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  12:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back when I sold Freightliner trucks, I had a few folks desire a bit more than a single floorboard air tooter. Grover Stutter Horns fit the bill nicely on a second lanyard and hidden away under the cab.
It put the fire truck tooter right at passneger vehicle head level to properly get their attention. The parts were, at that time, <$130 for the pair of horns, two 3/8" t-fittings and the lanyard valve.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  2:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This topic so old! A spammer brought it back up. But thanks for the new input JustinB.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  4:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, at least the spam on here doesn't have to do with enlarging anything.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 12/17/2011 4:05:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  06:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want a loud horn get one off an old car with a 6volt system and use it on 12v. You will cause people to jump outta their skin guranteed.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  1:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Model T horn on 12v, anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Harrison Fire

United States
175 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  6:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ebay!

CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM DEVILLE 4-NOTE HORN SET

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-FLEETWOOD-BROUGHAM-DEVILLE-4-NOTE-HORN-SET-/120817056040?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c2141f92

HF

My Fleet? (6) 93/99 IH 3800 Thomas and Blue Bird, Hydraulic Brakes, Manual and Auto Trans, (10) 00/06 FS65 Thomas Air Brake and Auto Trans, (2) 06 C2 Thomas and (2) 09/10 IC CE 300, Plus 3 more from another District
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  8:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Those things are valuable! At least that's what that guy thinks. Where you been harrison? Good to see you!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Harrison Fire

United States
175 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  1:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Wow! Those things are valuable! At least that's what that guy thinks. Where you been harrison? Good to see you!

Thanks bwest!
I posted the link to the eBay Cadillac horns for the comedy of it all.
2 pair of Hi/Low Fiamm or Wolo 12 volt horns with a relay and 16 gauge wires sounds good and is cheap/easy.
You know how it is in a one man shop.
All you can handle plus some more for a work load.
And that darned virus (cold?) spread by the kids that had a hold on me.
Then I got inspected by the State Police.
This year the Windshield Decal has changed here in Michigan.
Green for a "Pass".
Another color for "Self Inspected"
All Green here.
The Boss gave me the time to get ready, so I did.
That just about killed me.
I'm recovering, though.
HF

My Fleet? (6) 93/99 IH 3800 Thomas and Blue Bird, Hydraulic Brakes, Manual and Auto Trans, (10) 00/06 FS65 Thomas Air Brake and Auto Trans, (2) 06 C2 Thomas and (2) 09/10 IC CE 300, Plus 3 more from another District
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000