New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  10:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is probably in the news section of this forum but I thought if you are like me you don't go there at all. Please take time to read this. I know there have been many who have lost their life in a similar way but this just really hit me down deep. I am going to print this out for my drivers to read too. I just feal so sorry for those that lost young kids.

My 8 year old had a close call this summer when a van hit him on his bike. By the grace of God he came away with only scrapes and bruses. But when I walked up to the scene my thoughts were that we would never see him again. How horible it must have been to be the parent who heard the crash and then ran out to see the terrible sight. Just remind your drivers how much their concentration is really apprieciated.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20111210/NEWS/712109903/1002&parentprofile=1001

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  11:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good post. There was a very in-depth story called "The Crossing" about this posted on here years ago, but sadly, the source is no longer in service.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  12:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the reporter that did this story has more information. I'm not sure if it is available somewhere or not. I just think it is very important for everyone to keep in mind what could happen if we are not on our toes ALL the time. Poor driver had to move out of the state. I know he was responsible for these kids deaths but there is such a thing as an accident. I will bet that if you were able to look at the investigation that the defrost (or lack there of) played a role in the crash. Does anyone remember the old Carpenters and how they did not clear the windshield very well?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  1:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I remember it, the problem was icing of the side windows. Due to the angle at which the road and tracks intersected, he was dependant on looking over his right shoulder and out the passenger windows to see if the path was clear.

He testified that he stopped, the kids did too. The train crew said he didn't.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  05:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what year thermopane windows started to be required in certain positions on buses?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 12/15/2011 05:09:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  07:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fastback, they are still optional in many regions! I often have to ask my students to wipe off side windows for me when we get to odd angle intersections.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  07:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

Fastback, they are still optional in many regions! I often have to ask my students to wipe off side windows for me when we get to odd angle intersections.

In Iowa thermopanes are required in drivers window, upper entrance door and any side window that happens to be in front of those positions. Optional in other positions.
I am just wondering what year they started being used/required in any position on a school bus? Were they even available in 1960?
The heights of the seat backs on new buses makes a bottom thermopane side sash nearly worthless for drivers vision on many buses.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  7:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thermopane sash windows became available from Bluebird around 1964 but I installed Bluebird storm windows on my 1962 and 1963 Bluebirds myself. They were installed for the winter months only, the same way we did on our houses. The one piece frame and glass covered both the top and bottom of each sash window. I installed one on the left side behind the driver and two on the right side behind the driver so as to have frost free glass for the many angle highway and road and railroad crossings we had as the center cross of the four corners of Minnesota. Around 1964 Bluebird released a factory option on the entrance door for a double channel - one piece rubber for each of the two top windows in the entrance door and upper window in the rear emergency door. That meant one glass was installed from the inside and one from the outside for each window. I specified double glass for the lower half of the doors also. I ordered a large roll of the the double channel rubber and had 18 windows cut and we installed the double door glass in our first three Bluebirds. I still have the storm windows and fasteners for the 1962 Bluebird.
Dwight

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  05:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting dwight. I have never heard of the double windows. Do you have trouble with condensation inbetween the panes?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000