speedo malfunction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

veeracer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  08:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The speedometer and odometer have stopped working in my 91 international.All other instruments still work. I have located the sending unit mounted on the retarder on the mt643.It is some sort of a round electronic sender with two wires coming out.I suspect the sender is the problem, but don't have any info on a specific test to verify.The Intl. dealer quoted me $300+ for a replacement so a swap test is out of the question. If it is the sender I may try to repair it. Thanks Mark

veeracer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone knows how to test the sender or suspects it might be something else please let me know.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...I hate to tell you this, but every one of my 1990-1992 Internationals that lost thier tach and/or speedo had to have new instrument clusters. $$$$ Those black faced clusters used early in the 3800 production were absolute junk and newer ones aren't much better.

Hopefully someone on here can give you a diagnostic method to be sure. In my case the boss just proclaimed we were replacing "those junk bastards" whenever it happened, so I never really got into this issue. Check out this old posting though, it was for lighting issues but might be worth a try... http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3767

Good luck to you.

OH...and should you have to buy a cluster, don't use the old one to relieve stress with a hammer...there is a core charge from International on those useless things that they don't even repair.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 04/09/2007 12:33:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last one I had problems with I did what most of the guys in the other post said was stupid and soldered all the pin connections on the back of the board. It took a long time and patience but only cost my time That has been almost 2 yrs ago and about 30000 miles and the lights and gauges have not even flickered So was it a stupid idea???
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing stupid about. Of the 9 buses I talked about in that old post, 7 of them are still in service, 3 still have their original clusters thanks to the advice. (the rest we finally gave up on)
Go to Top of Page

veeracer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  1:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did the lighting fix by soldering the pins a couple years ago. The lights are still working fine. Sounds like it may be time to solder the speedo now.

Go to Top of Page

contactbluebird

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  04:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit contactbluebird's Homepage  Click to see contactbluebird's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you have to buy a new cluster, do not buy from international. I replaced 12 clusters last fall. I bought them from D&D Insturments. They done me right...shipped the new cluster to me and also sent a retuen label and paid shipping back for the core. Good bunch to deal with! http://www.ddinstruments.com 1-800-766-4243
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  11:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny my Aunt's Impala just did this. She will need a new speedo head. So i wonder if GM hired International to bulid their clusters for the Impala and Monte Carlo

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  03:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second the motion to use D&D. They have been great and the cost savings is excellent. Pull the dash cluster out (easy) and get the IH part number off the little sticker on top before you call.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  7:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have soldered the cracked pins on several units. With a good jeweler's eye loupe, the cracks are easy to spot.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  6:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

I have soldered the cracked pins on several units. With a good jeweler's eye loupe, the cracks are easy to spot.

col klink is that you? thanks for the image Eric still laughing. good idea though.
ya these are pricey so if you can do the repair try it. can also try a known good dash and see if it corrects the issue if you have doubts

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  7:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you lost ONLY the speedo and odo, the wiring for the VSS is the most likely cause. It is relatively common for the wire insulation to break RIGHT at the sender. If (when) the wires touch or get dirty and wet the signal shorts out, and the speedo/odo quit.

The VSS is on a pig-tail, so you can pull the D/S and spin the output with the engine running and check for an A/C voltage between the two wires from the VSS. No signal = bad sensor or wires.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Solder not only the wire terminal but aldo look for the twisted pair and solder that one as well, be sure to clean the fingernail polish off of the sooder points first. the speedo pig tail should have 1200 to 1400 ohms resistance across them, this should tell if sensor is bad.
Go to Top of Page

veeracer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  8:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked over the wires going into the sender and they look good . No cracks in the insulation. I did some checking with a multimeter and found the following: resistance between the two wires going into the sender=200 ohms. resistance between the wires going to the speedo = 420k ohms.
I also ran jumper wires from the sender into the bus and drove it while I checked for voltage. none detected.based on modmech's post I guess this would confirm a bad sender.I don't think they are designed to be serviceable,but at $300+ for a new one I may try to crack it open and have a look see.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000