Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many operations make the bus drivers punch a time card for their regular routes?

All of our drivers are guaranteed 2 hours per route. 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. Some have a noon route also.

Most of the routes only take 45 minutes driving time.
OF course, there is the pretrip and they have to gas the bus every few days and keep it clean inside. I have a few drivers who are rushing through their route. I have complaints that they are driving too fast. Two were even written up after numerous complaints. They don't keep their buses very clean and they do a very shoddy pre-trip. The superintendent and I have discussed making everyone clock in and out for their routes. Maybe that would help if they had to stay here for the 2 hours. They wouldn't be in such a big hurry to get back and leave. What are some of the other TD's thoughts on this.

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  2:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Some places require that, in order to get the 2 hour minimum, you have to be physically on the property for 2 hours, on "standby" to either cover for a no-call-no-show or pick up a kid who missed the bus (still getting full driving pay for the 2 hours, separate from the non-revenue rate for spare drivers on standby). I would recommend starting a policy like this. Just make sure the drivers have a comfortable break room to wait in. Also, if you have the resources, have someone follow the buses you hear complaints about. If a driver is unsafe, disciplinary action including suspension, up to termination in extreme cases, will work.
Go to Top of Page

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  5:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We also have 2 hour minimums. Most routes don't leave the lot until after 7 am, but I have all drivers coming in at 6:30. They have plenty of time to do a thorough pre-trip before leaving for route. The time after the route is mine till 8:30. I take this opportunity to call the drivers together and recap the morning, any safety issues, etc. Kind of a safety meeting without videos :-) They have no reason to be in a hurry if they are asked to stay until 8:30!
The afternoon is a different scenario though. First run is at 1:50 (school's out at 2:15) and they are done by 3:30 or so. They will fuel, clean the bus, come in and talk, whatever. I rarely plan anything for them after the pm route. Time for them to go home to their families, their second job, etc.
Do your drivers all arrive at the same time?
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  11:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our routes are paid at actual time, plus pretrip and post trip times, quick sweeping time, and 15 minutes computer time per day based on a contracted daily hours bid. Route rework times, calling parents or schools and other job related duties are included as extra duty time, I believe at the same rate of pay. We clock in when we arrive and clock out when we leave. The extra duty times add extra pay and are included in the clock in and clock out times. Clock times must meet the minimum bid times - must be made up when not met or the pay is deducted from payroll. Extra duty time usually makes up for and can exceed the minimum daily bid time. Training pay, and for those washing the buses, are paid at a lower rate then regular pay and does not count against bid time. If the bid time is off by + or - fifteen minutes the bid time is adjusted. The system seems fair for most of the drivers and the employer - time is not usually an issue. Our employer is willing to pay for actual work related time, not for loitering while waiting to clock out. A minimum show up to work time is not present and seems to deter some lower bid time bus drivers from remaining with our facility. There was once a daily minimum for showing up when called and I believe that was dropped resulting in difficulty hiring and keeping lower bid route drivers. However, some are offered cross training for office duties, classroom assistants and other available work. That has helped keep more drivers. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Hostage Takeover, bus fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.
Go to Top of Page

HollisterBus

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  07:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bosslady, how large of a fleet of drivers do you have? also, how do the drivers of the the short routes fell about having to stay around alittle longer?. The part about pre-triping their bus, fueling their buses, keeping their buses clean all sounds to me all in being in the job description of a school bus driver. I bet you got some complainters right? I also have the same problem with a few drivers trying to get through their route qickly and driving to fast. Sometimes we have to rely on the public to gives information about a driver driving unsafely. But I have had parents call me and complain about the driver just because they are upset driver for some reason. Anyway, I fell your pain and what your going through I can tell you want to bring your drivers to the next level of job preformance. Here is an idea that has helped us. Give your drivers a preformance bonus at Christmas time, we give $750.00 per driver. This all pertains to the understanding that they are held acountable for their job proformance through the school year. I can tell you my drivers have stepped up to the plate and they are at work everyday. I can go and on and on about your situation and I hope I gave you some good info...

Tony HatField
Go to Top of Page

Ark

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  10:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We fill out a weekly time card. We are guaranteed 20 hours a week, plus 1 hour prep. Thus 25 hours a week.It doesnt matter if you work less time. Then mid day is paid in real time for what it is worth in travel and return. If you go over 20 hours, which happens, since we get runs from other yards, that gets added on to the 20 before the prep. then prep is added on. Now if you started working after the union came in, you get less prep time. But now, thats another story.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  06:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bosslady

How many operations make the bus drivers punch a time card for their regular routes?

All of our drivers are guaranteed 2 hours per route. 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. Some have a noon route also.

Most of the routes only take 45 minutes driving time.
OF course, there is the pretrip and they have to gas the bus every few days and keep it clean inside. I have a few drivers who are rushing through their route. I have complaints that they are driving too fast. Two were even written up after numerous complaints. They don't keep their buses very clean and they do a very shoddy pre-trip. The superintendent and I have discussed making everyone clock in and out for their routes. Maybe that would help if they had to stay here for the 2 hours. They wouldn't be in such a big hurry to get back and leave. What are some of the other TD's thoughts on this.

I'm sorry that you are having problems with certain drivers and I hope you don't mind a reply from me, because I am not a T/D, supervisor or part of management.

I don't think it would be fair to have all of the drivers having to clock in / out and stay at the yard/break room for 2 hours. I would forego the pay if this policy were required with the TD's permission of course- Meaning= I would complete my route (pre-trip/post trip, all of the requirements, and get paid for the 45 minutes - one hour) and leave if not needed.

So if that were put into place where I would have to stay, if I were working for you, I would get your permission and ask to leave after my route, and forgo the pay.

But...What about the drivers who DO THEIR JOBS?

I bring my bus home with me. It's with me ALL OF THE TIME.

My bus is
-CLEAN
-PRE TRIPPED
-POST TRIPPED
-I am safe, on time, drive safely
-Do my job and do it good
-I have to gas my bus, but I don't get paid for it, and I don't mind not getting paid for it, because I get paid enough per hour to make up to fuel for it. I am satisfied with my hourly wage and feel that fueling the bus is part of my pay (of course I don't pay for the fuel!)
-While my bus is at home, I take the time (my time) to clean the bus. And I don't mind at all, I actually think its good exercise. (Sometimes it's easier- depending on what group / charter I did)
-

About the clocking in/clocking out

I wouldn't recommend it. Laidlaw, the last 3 months they had the contract, put that into place. What a waste. I didn't use it. I kept my time sheet. It was a waste of my time. Had it been put into place the first or second or third or even fourth month of school, then yes, but not at the end of the year. A waste of my time to wait in line to punch in/out.

If I could suggest...Don't punish all of the drivers for the downfalls of a few. Remind them that other drivers are doing their jobs correctly and they should also. If they aren't able to, maybe they should look for another job.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  09:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 80AmtranRE4

-I have to gas my bus, but I don't get paid for it, and I don't mind not getting paid for it

-While my bus is at home, I take the time (my time) to clean the bus. And I don't mind at all,

Certainly helps explain why you and others at your facility are not paid for some performed job related duties. No Wage and Hour rules in your state?

Interesting. Not only is your employer ripping-off their employees, but you and your employer are also ripping-off Social Security, Workers' Comp and other tax authorities as well.

quote:

But...What about the drivers who DO THEIR JOBS?

And what about paying the bus drivers for their work related duties?

After viewing your post my thought would be that clocking in and clocking out is a necessity, as well as some oversight by an outside agency insuring that employees are paid for their work related duties, including time considered compensation between runs.

You are not driving a school bus and you are not transporting children. You are driving a truck and you are transporting cargo. (jk)

Hostage Takeover, bus fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

Edited by - JK on 11/12/2006 09:06:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  1:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very sorry JK I should have taken more time to type my post so I could have been more precise. Sorry for the unintended omissions.

1. Drivers are paid 15 minutes for pre-trips.
2. School bus drivers WHO PARK OUT are responsible for FUELING THEIR OWN BUS
Drivers who leave their buses at the yard <fill it up during down time /& a truck comes to fill it up every other day.

3. Drivers, during down time, are expected to clean their buses.

I am driving a school bus and I am driving children.
I do not drive a truck, I do not drive cargo.

I chose to PARK OUT for my convenience. It saves me time.

A clock would not be necessary, hopefully this clears up my last post.

SS? I hear that by the time I retire, there will be 0 anyways?

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 11/12/2006 1:32:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  2:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I chose to PARK OUT for my convenience. It saves me time.

Not relevant.

Management staff out in the field - are they paid, even if they stop somewhere for a snack?

And mechanics out in the field? Are they paid, even if they must stop somewhere and fuel?

Employees still must be paid for any job related duties. That could be comp time but lawful compensation is still required.

What you think you are may not be what your employer thinks you are. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  3:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply jk.

quote:
bus724
-

USA
293 Posts
Posted - 11/12/2006 : 3:07:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

80AmTranRE4 -- You should come work for First Student, at my yard we fuel our own buses and get paid 15 minutes every time we fuel.

Thank you but I am happy where I work

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 11/12/2006 8:25:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  3:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
80AmTranRE4 -- You should come work for First Student, at my yard we fuel our own buses and get paid 15 minutes every time we fuel.
Go to Top of Page

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I also have park-outs and they are paid route time for coming into town, fueling, and their return. Fueling the bus is part of the job, and they are paid for it. I could never in good conscience ask an employee to fuel, clean, talk to a principal, etc. on their own time.

Parking the bus at home may be a convenience for the driver, but it is also to the benefit of the entity that buys the fuel.

Edited by - Salaskie on 11/13/2006 10:35:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I accidentally falsely stated some facts and I apologize and there is no exuse- as this will make me look like an (%%%) but oh well. I failed to read the newly issued handbooks that were issued in the beginning of the year- with updated policies. I read some of the handbook, but not all of it.

After reading these replies, I took out the handbook and read and read (it covers everything)

and fueling was one of them.

Park-out/Yard park drivers who find that they need fuel are paid to fuel their buses for a minimum of 15 minutes, if it takes longer (you record the distance from your house to the nearest contracted gas station).

School bus drivers are to make every attempt to keep their buses fueled above half a tank and fuel during down (paid downtime) when possible. Children MUST NOT BE ON BOARD while fueling.

And it goes on.

We have time sheets also and record the times. If drivers had to talk to the principal on a route, they would record the time they returned to the yard.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Another subject:

What about drivers who abuse the system? I thought I posted this but I think it cleared. There have been drivers who abuse the time policies.

Example: Route takes 2 hours but they will record 2 hours 30 minutes. They will pull over for 15 minutes and wait. That is stealing company time.

--What about using technology such as GPS to keep track of driver's time. It will eliminate the need for punch clocks, and will allow you to track a bus in case of an emergency.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 11/13/2006 11:26:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  4:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The problem of drivers abusing the system could be solved easily by having a set time associated with each route. As long as the driver is logging around what the "set time" is for that route, everything is OK. That's the way it is where I drive. If you are consistently logging longer than your set route time is supposed to be, it will be investigated. Also... don't forget about other drivers ratting the abusers out. I was driving a field trip for a private school in town last spring... me and three other buses. My company has two type A buses that we run routes for with this school. Well, when the field trip buses got up to the school, we caught one of the vans just sitting there (she had already unloaded the children) racking up time. Someone told the manager and that problem was resolved. I am against GPS technology being used to track time. I am also against having a video camera in my bus. I would like to be able to do my job without being watched like a hawk. GPS doesn't account for things such as... a kid throwing up on your bus, and you having to clean it up once you get back to the bus yard. When I have to clean up puke I log route time... it's a gross job and I feel I should get paid the highest rate for it. This is just one example I've had to deal with a number of times... but I'm sure some of you can think of other similar examples.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  6:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is nasty- if someone throws up on my bus, the bus is going back to the yard! We have a maintance crew who cleans our buses in cases like that. Me clean puke, never! (Ha, I wish). We do have a maintance person who cleans our buses [Mon-Sat 8-5], but obviously if you are far from the yard, and someone gets sick, it's our job to clean it. So far, in my five+ years driving history, only one time have I had to deal with a kid getting sick on my bus, and I let Laidlaw clean it. (Still get sick from thinking about it!)

I would welcome the use of video cameras on every single bus in the USA to be on all of the time. I think it should be required to protect the school bus driver in case of false accusations. Cameras/Audio do not lie. Once you get used to the camera being on the bus, you will forget about it. I worked at a job for a number of years where my every single move was video recorded (maybe that is why I don't care). You forget that its there and it will show that you do a good job.

I think GPS is an important tool that should be put to use. Perhaps not to totally track someone's time, but to make sure time isn't being abused. 9/11 has changed everything. If a bus goes off track, GPS could track it as well. I would love my time to be recorded by a GPS system, just type it in the bus (we have everything else, why not that (let's save paper!).

I bet we will see it in a few years.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 11/13/2006 6:17:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  05:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all your replies. It has given me some things to think about.

We are a small rural school. The buses are owned by the school district.
I would love to give the drivers who go the extra mile and are conscientious about their jobs a bonus but being owned and the wages paid by the school district that will never happen. Kansas schools are like many schools in several states with money problems.
They did get a nice raise this year for their routes and also a VERY nice raise for their down time on trips. I still can't get anyone to take the extra trips. I am desperate for trip drivers.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  08:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That old saying, "Kill two birds with one stone.

A school district in our area hires subs to cover routes and virtually exclusive use of subs as trip drivers. Another smaller district allows their route drivers to take only those trips that do not interfere with their routes.

In both cases this issue of subs to drive routes and trip drivers to drive trips have been resolved.

Both school districts are publicly owned, the bigger district having no school bus driver shortage for decades.

Both districts focused first on stabilizing their permanent routes with the same drivers.

Myself, have not driven a trip for some years. The effect of one driver on the same route has helped to significantly calm environments on the bus routes and nearly eliminated students acting out against the subs (since seldom is a sub available to act out against), as well as acting out against the permanent driver upon return to the route.

Other areas of improvement is a significant decreases in student mix-ups, stowaways, and kids sneaking off at other than their own bus stop.

KG's seem especially vulnerable to giving misdirection’s and walking off the bus at the wrong stop. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  05:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using subs for trips the last few years. WHen I first started driving in 1975 most of the drivers wanted to take trips. That is where we made our extra money but over the years there has became less and less trip drivers. Now almost none of my regular drivers will take trips for various reasons. Some have other jobs besides driving a bus, some have small children, I think some are burnt out on them.Afew years ago I started hiring subs to take trips also. At first it worried me as I didn't feel the subs had the experience driving as the regular drivers and we were putting them on strange roads in the dark in all kinds of weather, but so far we didn't have too many problems. The problem is that now, I can't even hire subs or trip drivers. In our area within 20 miles, we have quite a few big employers who are just begging for workers and they pay better than we do with lots of benefits. One is Amozon.com and the other is a huge Walmart distribution center. Plus some other smaller companies. They are hiring all the time. It's difficult to compete with them.

We used to pull our pool of workers from several pools that seem to have dried up. Retirees, housewives, part-time preachers. Now the housewives have to work full times and so do the retirees. Amazon will also let you work parttime. The churches are appaarently paying their preachers more and "what farmers" They are either gone or working full time.
In the past, when I put an add in the paper for a bus driver, I had more responsese than I could hire. I have had ads in several papers numerous times since school started and have not received one single applicant.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  07:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Holy cow... I don't mean to get this topic off track, but it boggles my mind how bad the economy here in Michigan is compared to other places! I didn't realize other parts of the country are doing so well. No one's begging for school bus drivers here... They want them, but they can't afford them.

I hear of districts who pay for training, pay the trainee during the time that they're training, and get a signing bonus. Lucky for my district, I wanted the position as a sub so bad that I've paid for my traning, have done the training uncompensated, and haven't even asked about wages. And I was facing some competition for this job. Interesting. It's clear I'm committed, but maybe should review my priorities, haha.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  08:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We pay for all the training and pay the drivers an hourly wage while they are training. We also pay for their CDL license and for their physical, etc., and still can't get drivers.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  2:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We're fully staffed at my terminal, but one of my company's other terminals is so short handed they've resorted to putting up signs that say "School Bus Drivers Wanted" and their phone number at intersections all over town. Granted they only pay minimum wage during training... and don't compensate you for your license fees, nor do they pay you for your time on the test day. A lot of bad kids in that town too... my district is a breeze in comparison! I'd think they'd compensate a little better over there given the conditions and circumstances the drivers would need to put up with. Instead, they put up signs trying to recruit drivers with minimal compensation, and beg other terminals to send over drivers to sub on routes whenever possible. I'll tell you what... you'll never see me subbing over there! Start compensating the drivers fairly and they'll get their own drivers.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  2:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here drivers get a $500 signing bonus, and $1000 goes to a current driver that recruited him/her is applicable. Starting pay is $16.25 per hour, and you are paid for 140+ hours of training and class time. It is a good deal, but we are 180 drivers short! We put HUGE banners that take the entire length of a bus, and place them on OLD buses that we don't use and park the Advertisement bus at major intersections

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  4:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
IC-RE writes "140+ hours of training and class time" That's 3+ weeks.
Is that correct???
Go to Top of Page

HollisterBus

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  6:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bosslady, I have had a very challenging year this year too,I have spent hundreds of dollars on ads in the local newspaper trying to hire bus drivers. It wasn't working! So I decided to have a large banner made for $80.00 dollars that said "Hiring Bus Drivers, Good Pay & Good Benefits" and a phone number to call me. So I got one of our old buses, tied the banner on to the side of the school bus and parked it out close to the busist road close to the school.Just having it up for 2 weeks I finely had to take the sign down because of having to many apps. I also needed 2 drivers positions filled, We filled the postions within 2 days of the sign being up on the bus. Anyway, this worked for me......

Tony HatField
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  6:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
correct. I am almost positive. After the three weeks in the classroom and behind the wheel, our drivers have a 1 week OJT (On the job training) where they drive an experienced driver's bus while the experience driver sits in the seat behind giving pointers and real world experience. The Driver on OJT must do all of the Exp. driver's runs and so on. www.Driveforfairfax.com is the new website our county employed

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.

Edited by - IC-RE on 11/16/2006 6:34:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  8:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for all your replies. It has given me some things to think about.

...They did get a nice raise this year for their routes and also a VERY nice raise for their down time on trips. I still can't get anyone to take the extra trips. I am desperate for trip drivers.

Different pay rates for driving and "down" time? That has to be part of the problem. My district pays the full drivers' pay rate for the entire field trip...driving OR sitting. Thus, our drivers fight over field trips...especially the long ones! (I got 14 hours of OT on a field trip a while back...about $330 before taxes!)

About time cards, etc. We are sort of on the honor system. We fill out a weekly time sheet noting everything we did that week.....and are regularly reminded that falsifying our time sheet is a CRIME. ie. theft of County monies...punishable by imprisonment!
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  06:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are lucky to be paid overtime. School bus drivers in MA only get paid overtime if their school bus route goes over 40 hours. A school bus driver could drive 39.00 hours driving school bus routes + 20 hours in charters. They would get paid 59 hours at regular pay, no overtime. State law allows for it.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  12:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... The problem is that now, I can't even hire subs or trip drivers. In our area within 20 miles, we have quite a few big employers who are just begging for workers and they pay better than we do with lots of benefits. ... It's difficult to compete with them.

**Updated**

Bosslady,

First, in as much as your management skills, as presented in several threads over the past few years, that expertise you display is not the deterrent.

Regardless, something is amiss in hiring, training, support or pay and benefits.

The issue, “we can't compete,” is irrelevant. Lower pay, although may be somewhat of a deterrent, does not necessarily mean a lack of candidates. Something else is amiss, adequate to deter qualified candidates and/or retention.

The CDL requirement is a significant deterrent in itself and ought to be abandoned in my opinion. But that is not something currently or quickly thrown out at this point and likely is not the main deterrent.

Paid training, but keep it at minimum wage. I am not a fan of hiring bonuses – the money can better be used for better student management training.

You don't do this, but more than a few TD's are trained to always side with the child and parent when a parent complains, and the same will often side with school staff in their complaints. Not only is this an unethical practice but is guaranteed to help cultivate a hostile workplace. (You TD's acting out that sort of training ought to immediately stop doing that.) Instead, encourage parents to report bullying and any other issue. When a parent calls, direct the parent to the driver's phone ext. and after training the drivers to handle complaints themselves. Complaints can be taken but it is the driver that first ought to respond to the parent.

Survey the bus drivers monthly. Ask them what some of the reasons they think might be contributing to the shortage. Sort through the data for consistencies and make a plan to meet needed changes. Periodically report the findings and recommend a plan of correction to the school board.

Set up an inner-department written driver complaint process - issues with kids, parents, school staff. Act on those complaints and hold driver empowerment meetings. Track and report these findings to the school board.

Establish a parents/bus drivers bus safety and student management committee to help monitor bus safety issues and potential policy changes for presentation to the school board.

Different levels of pay are a deterrent as well. Training might warrant minimum wage, but little else. Time is time. Keeping a day's pay for a day's work remains an expectation. End the trucking mentality in every part of the job, including pay and slogans.

Do the research back to a time when a shortage was not an issue - what is different now that may have contributed to the so-called shortage? What can be brought back to the future?

Do actual local and regional area research - opportunity, pay and benefits - and come up to standard. No excuses.

Find an employer in the region that does not have a school bus driver shortage and start mimicking their strategies.

Verify support is effective. Are the bus drivers trained and authorized to suspend students from the buses? -- or at least the authority to refuse to transport that day? If not, why not?

End negative stereotypical thinking toward children, parents and the bus drivers wherever it exists. Promote your best drivers in the press - what are the reasons they like their job and what are the benefits of the job, financial and otherwise. Stay away from certain slogans, such as "I love kids:"

In fact, DO NOT TALK about or use "I love kids" slogans in most work relations press releases. It is not necessary to love kids in order to be a great school bus driver. Too much "love kids," talk can attract the wrong kind for the job, including child enablers and also pedophiles which can be attracted to such opportunities if the employer seems desperate for bodies to drive their buses. Make slogans relevant to practical adult interests and talk about the benefits of the job and education related opportunities for adults.

Press releases are free. Target your audience to compliment the driver in your press release. A full-time Mom and part time school bus driver, for example, can earn extra income and be home with their children during school breaks and evenings. The part time aspect is a great advantage to moms when the schedule and pay is workable.

A local collage may be a resource for drivers when driving the bus can meet their schedule. It is possible to have a morning only driver and an afternoon only driver for the same route, but training and support must be top notch. Such drivers must be able to demonstrate an interdependent relationship with each other for this approach to work well.

Post jobs at local senior citizen gathering places and association publications. Ages for these associations start at around fifty-years of age and seniors in good health are abundant. Again, insure support is top notch. Make sure seniors are trained in violence prevention and have the authority to refuse to transport disrespectful students. Failure here virtually guarantees a drying-up of this excellent resource. Bad treatment permitted toward seniors’ spreads like a wild fire in their community.

Route stability is important for a variety of reasons. Try to keep the same drivers on the same routes year after year. And when doing this make sure a working camera is on every bus.

The biggest complaint from local restaurants is that school bus drivers can be very loud and sometimes sound obnoxious while at their establishment during breaks. The same can be the case in facility break rooms. Drivers can experience constant noise levels - in the high eighties and lower nineties dba range while simply driving the bus with no kids on board:

Remind drivers that their ears may not yet have recovered from working in a noisy environment - to please lower their voices and give their ears a chance to rest. Post signs about how noise levels can affect behavior - promote resting the ears. And remind that when they are in public during the workday that they may be displaying a negative mentality toward their profession when too loud in public.

I've been in several facilities breakrooms. Too many look trashy and too much like a slum area, an illegal immigrant housing project, a dinning room for the homeless or an old warehouse break area - hand me down furniture, cluttered counters and the like - a turn-off to the very style of candidates wanted. Professionalize the area with fresh paint or wallpaper, new furniture and softer lighting. Visit local banks and hotel lounging areas for ideas. Notice how they use soft maroons, browns and pastel greens. Calm the tempo of the room to help calm the tempo of the drivers.

Convert an unused area into a school bus driver professional center. It is outrageous that so many schools have desks, filing cabinets, computers and partisans stored unused and wasting away or sold off for peanuts. Grab some of that equipment and establish a professional area where drivers can organize and store their route descriptions and notes, where they can type, spell check and printout referrals and where they can maintain other communications with school staff and parents. If you actually don't have these items ask other local districts and colleges for some of their equipment that is wasting away and taking up their space.

Professionalize the appearance of the drivers - not necessarily uniforms, but appropriate clean clothing and otherwise clean cut. A haircut allowance might prove useful. Bargaining with a local barber to visit your facility to offer discounted or free haircuts for men and women between bus runs may be useful. (Licensed barbers that work out of their home may be most open to this idea.) Make it an open and fun event or more private, but don't ignore the need.

Send home flyers with the kids inviting parents on the route to sub as a bus driver for that route.

Make no excuses for the so-called shortage. Keep your mind on track thinking about how to make the job compatible to the available job market, not making excuses why nobody wants to drive a school bus any more. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 11/19/2006 08:04:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  01:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the previous post I'd mentioned staying away from promoting children as the reason to drive school bus, including usually refraining from, "I love children," slogans and themes.

It's difficult for some to think outside this mentality. Here's a poster for a senior citizen activity center that might help further present how to promote the school bus driving opportunity to that specific group:

A different kind of job poster: Making Lemonade

What you've heard about driving school bus may not be true everywhere

Schools district officials often express difficulties with violent students on the school buses and finding bus drivers to drive those buses.

At Clearwater schools we changed the standard.

• Calmer students

• Better trained drivers

• Unmatched bus driver support

• Great pay for part-time help

(Picture of John Friend)

Come meet John Friend. He's been driving school bus for nearly twenty-five years and loves his part-time job. An excellent work schedule and full staff support helps keep John behind the wheel driving school bus for our community.

Mr. Friend will present, Seniors Making A Difference, at this month's senior citizen job mart presentation in the Cardinal Room at 11:30 Tuesday morning.

John’s presentation can answer your questions about the ease of qualifying for this work, paid training, great pay and assisted medical benefits.

Don't miss out on the chance to ask John how driving school bus for Clearwater schools may be the perfect job for you.

Clearwater Schools - Working together to make work better.

Notice there is no picture of a school bus. Although the temptation may be great do not place pictures of school buses in your job recruiting ads. You want people, not school buses. Instead, place a photo of a bus driver relevant to the target market.

Note: The name of the school district and bus driver is made up. Any similarity to actual names is coincidental. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 11/19/2006 07:56:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  02:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe people have heard how much disrespect school bus drivers receive in this country from parents? We aren't in charge, the kids are in charge of us, the parents are in charge of us. JK i agree with you on many things, but sometimes I have my doubts because this industry is falling backwards. When a school bus driver can't keep a safe bus- then tries to keep a safe school bus, only to be fired, WORD GETS AROUND, who would want to drive a bus??????????

-Parent, also a SBD fired (FEMALE with children) FIRED, by the school board, for trying to keep the bus safe, kids accused her of swearing, TD took the kids side. Parents make accusations. Other parents found out about this and were shocked and couldn't believe it (they were very upset that these accusations were made about Mr's School bus driver. )

Don't you think that is a detterent right there to those possible future school bus drivers? Why would they want to drive a bus if they hear stories like that?

School bus driver position:
Watch your back, try to keep a safe bus and you could be fired, your reputation is at stake,
Nice pay, kids are allowed to walk all over you, per the T/D,
the T/D doesn't care about you but does care about the parents...
Then why is there a SB shortage? Hmmmmmm

--I will have to edit this post later for sp errors and anything else, short on time

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 11/18/2006 02:43:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  11:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... JK i agree with you on many things, but sometimes I have my doubts because this industry is falling backwards. When a school bus driver can't keep a safe bus- then tries to keep a safe school bus, only to be fired, WORD GETS AROUND, who would want to drive a bus?????????? ...

Well, among those remaining available to drive school bus for the unethical would include illegal aliens, the naive, the otherwise ignorant, and the deceptive (such as pedofiles), and murderers, burglars and other criminals.

I don't think about it much, but yes, this industry is under threat of eventual conclusion in my opinion, not falling backwards, but imploding from within.

Over regulation, unscrupulous employers hiring whatever body they can get behind the wheel of a school bus, abusive employers terminating excellent employees without just cause, and too many willing and becoming more able to milk this industry to death has opened a Pandora's Box of sorts.

I don't recall in the story how that box was closed, seem to recall the box could not be closed. I believe Hope was a possible defense, but there is debate as to whether Hope was a benefit or a distraction, the final curse.

SBF some years ago had an article discussing the future of this industry. One participant said this industry would eventually go extinct - simply would no longer exist.

I could not imagine how that would happen. As it is he may have been closer to the truth than most of us thought the case at that time.

It used to be, and usually still is, that when the provider does not know of a "Dangerous Condition," then that was usually sufficient reason not to be held so-much accountable for a death or life-altering injury that came about as a result of that ignorance. That is to say, the event was unintentional, an accident or an event that could not be anticipated. This did not mean a lawsuit could not be won against the provider, only that it was much more difficult and could be adequately limited.

My understanding is that may be changing. Terms like "dangerous condition' have taken on new meanings in some courts. But an abuse of law, in my opinion, has brought a new more "potentially devastating" liability - the misapplication of subjection to harm must be "unreasonable."

Such an event happened to Arizona Tempe Elementary School District No. 3. On Feb. 10, 1993, according to Peggy Burns, Esq., an attorney who consults in school law.

A 7-year old boy was seriously injured after he was safely discharged from his school bus at his regular bus stop. His parents had chosen the route he was to walk from the bus stop to his friend's house. The two boys had been doing this several times a week since classes began that school year.

One day, however, a third boy began to chase one of the two boys when they were about 35 feet from the bus stop. The boy "ran across a sidewalk, across a frontage road, across a median, and only then, on to a busy road with a posted speed limit of 45 mph, located approximately 100 feet south of his assigned bus stop."

The child darted into the roadway, and into the path of an oncoming car, which then hit him.

According to Burns, the lawsuit alleged that the child would not have been injured if the transportation director had placed the bus stop within a subdivision, as parents had requested.

The Arizona court said that bus stop selection is a day-to-day function for which the school district could be held liable. Since the transportation director had authority to change bus stops routinely in response to parent input and other issues, this was an operational function, rather than a policy-making function.

Burns agreed with the district position that, "If the risk to which [the child] was subjected was unreasonable under these circumstances, then any time a student is discharged from a bus, the student is automatically exposed to an unreasonable risk of harm. The School District could not do anything, short of escorting students directly to their front doors, to avoid subjecting them to an unreasonable risk of harm."

I would think that the risk of harm must be unreasonable in order to impose liability on a school district for a student injury, but that may be old world thinking that may be fading into legal history.

Although not yet a precedent in any state this crap is happening and begging a precedent. Time seems on the side of the unscrupulous and unethical in my opinion.

Years later the school district was held 15-percent responsible: $900,000.00.

I'm no attorney. Regardless, what seems obvious is that as these abuses of provider resources and other abuses enter our industry, and as the percentage of blame climbs, providers remaining in this business may do so simply to liquidate their assets to cover the overwhelming settlements irrational precedent setting cases would allow to happen.

Perhaps a precedent or new law ending this kind of abuse from our courts might end the threat. And Burns had suggestions that might help until then.

Myself, can agree that it is important to maintain an ethical workplace environment, interdependent with the bus drivers and parents - that failure here invites the unscrupulous into the mix.

An option Burns did not mention might be to require parents to meet their children at the bus stop and escort them home. But I can see politicians, enabling bureaucrats and special interests arguing that expectation.

Another option Burns did not mention would simply ending school bus services, or convert to a less over regulated and bureaucratized system - such as city or county transits – and to end the services all together in as much as schools having anything to do with student transportation.

It seems that the more that becomes apparent concerning this industry that a premature time can come where the bus driver can end up with not much choice but to retire early or find some other less threatening occupation. I'm getting close to that conclusion for myself so can understand how others might be considering the same unfortunate outcome.

School bus driver shortage? Rubbish!

Note: I've taken small pieces from Burns report for presentation here. For the entire report would suggest contacting Peggy Burns through her Website: http://www.legalroutes.com/

Edited by - JK on 11/19/2006 05:04:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  05:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know what the word imploded ... (meant) until I went to dictionary.com

. im•plod•ed, im•plod•ing, im•plodes
v. intr.
To collapse inward violently.

v. tr.
To cause to collapse inward violently.
To demolish (a building) by causing to collapse inward.

[in-2 + (ex)plode.]

So do you think that is going to happen to school bus driving? Maybe you are right, and maybe that is what I meant; perhaps falling backwards would have been better? Wasn't it better way back then?

Illegal Aliens driving buses? Hopefully they would become citizens first and pass all of the tests, I don't see how they could obtain the requirements. Naive and ignorant drivers taking over- (Already entered the SB industry)

Pedophiles driving school buses -the stories in the news sections already confirms that- Murderers, etc....already have also (another story from the News section)

(what would we do without the news section to keep us updated with these facts, with all of the posts that Sandy & others inform us about, I never in a million years would have known about the corruption)

You are right JK, there is no school bus driver shortage, there never will be, as long as Tom the Turkey escapes the slaughter house, he will be eligible to drive the bus.

Note: I'm trying to make a point without using real situations that I see happening right before my eyes. I know exactly why there is a school bus driver shortage- I will stop right there, or maybe not...

When you have a TD, who knows nothing about school bus driving, who controls the school bus company, who kisses the parent's behinds, who creates a hostile situation, who then creates a situation where GOOD school bus drivers are forced to resign or quit or are fired, WHERE do you get drivers? How do you operate? I am starting to think that the role of a TD is to scare the company drivers, >, into not wanting to drive a bus. We will never have the ability to have the authority to suspend a student off of the school bus. It will take weeks for it to happen. That child who creates problems will be allowed to stay on the bus for weeks before anything is done.

Frustration? Not from me, from others.

A good TD: (is this right?)
-works well with the SCHOOL BUS COMPANY <Contractor>,
-before firing a SBD from the contract: SITS DOWN WITH THE DRIVER AND THE ONES who accused the (Genderless) DRIVER OF swearing and THE PARENTS (HOLDS A MEETING) to reveal the facts, doesn't just send a letter down that says fire the driver.
-A good TD works with the SBDrivers
-A good TD MAKES SURE THAT IN the contract ALL SCHOOL BUSES be equipped with working cameras
-a good TD makes sure that school bus drivers are TRAINED CORRECTLY-

Someone please tell me the ROLE of a transportation director? And then please tell me the role of a TD VS the Contractor. Do the TD and Contractor work together? Isn't that the goal?

Example: Laidlaw is trying to operate, but you have the TD working against Laidlaw and its drivers, kissing up to the parents. Remember, the TD has to have their 6 figure sal.,.

Please, anyone, if I am wrong, correct me.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 11/19/2006 05:37:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  05:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good TD: (is this right?)
-works well with the SCHOOL BUS COMPANY <Contractor>,

Most of them do work well with the bus company. Sometimes, a driver only sees one side of the spectrum since they do not manage.

-before firing a SBD from the contract: SITS DOWN WITH THE DRIVER AND THE ONES who accused the (Genderless) DRIVER OF swearing and THE PARENTS (HOLDS A MEETING) to reveal the facts, doesn't just send a letter down that says fire the driver.
Sometimes this may work. In some situations, it could cause friction and make the situation more hostile. I don't beleive I would want both groups together. Besides, there are always two sides of the coin.

-A good TD works with the SBDrivers
Most do, but bus driver's do not always see this. Let's not forget ALL the responsibilties a TD has. Some are better than others.

-A good TD MAKES SURE THAT IN the contract ALL SCHOOL BUSES be equipped with working cameras
HAHA- The day a contractor tells the district what is to be in the contract is the day hell freezes over. Think long and hard on this one. If I am a district looking at outsourcing bus service and I see a proposal that is telling us what to have in the buses and it exceeds what we want to pay for, I would drop them for not meeting specs. Sure, it is a nice offer but not something required per contract. I would then wonder about their integrity as a company. Again, it is a nice thought but this is business. Regardless of the safety side, contractors are in this to make money.

-a good TD makes sure that school bus drivers are TRAINED CORRECTLY-
Most rely on their trainers.

Someone please tell me the ROLE of a transportation director?You are asking for a lot on this one. I will let JK handle this as he does an excellenet job and has on numerous posts- JK, Would I be wrong to give a little hint as to say TD's are behavior specialists?

And then please tell me the role of a TD VS the Contractor. Do the TD and Contractor work together? Isn't that the goal?
All depends on the contract. Everone doe sit differently.

Example: Laidlaw is trying to operate, but you have the TD working against Laidlaw and its drivers, kissing up to the parents. Remember, the TD has to have their 6 figure sal.,.
Again, it all depends on the contract and you are not always hearing the full story. Going simply off of what driver A and B claim is simply nonsense or going off of what they heard. That's called bus yard gossip.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  10:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CPCSC_TD

... Someone please tell me the ROLE of a transportation director?
You are asking for a lot on this one. I will let JK handle this as he does an excellenet job and has on numerous posts- JK, Would I be wrong to give a little hint as to say TD's are behavior specialists?

And dare I entertain this dangerous question?

It has been my position that school counselors spend part of their internship as a school bus driver - to help flush out some of the shrinkology and mistrained concepts they might have received in college while on drugs, drunk or otherwise distracted.

In the greater sense TD's, school bus drivers and the other adults involved in helping school bus drivers keep kids safe do seem out of necessity to acquire some of the skills of a behavioral specialist.

The failure that happens here is that too many attempt to master the perceived skills representative of a psychiatrist, an entirely separate field involving intense training and specialization.

There appear similarities in the two fields because some time ago some of the best psychiatrists began studying the successes of behavorialists and applying their philosophy as well and where useful.

A TD, school official or bus driver, sometimes even a school counselor attempting to understand and lend therapy to certain children may be a foolish endeavor that can escalate harm to a child's mental state worse than what is already present.

The adults involved ought to receive some behavioral training, sufficient to help identify what behaviors they ought refer to be explored in more detail off the bus. Violence prevention training is the actual need here.

Persistent defiance toward simple directions, acting out suddenly without what might be an expected trigger - randomized violent outbursts and such unwanted behaviors can be a phase involving simple experimentation, embarrassment, a learned and successful misbehavior that has worked for that child in the past, an abused child asking for help, a child that suffered a terrible trauma of some sort, could be related to drug or alcohol use or huffing, or could be the markings of a violent anomaly evolving that no amount of bus driver or school intervention can correct.

When caught but not accurately interpreted some of these kids simply go internal and continue to evolve their affections toward violence.

It can be a shocker to discover a child that rode your school bus turned out to be someone so violent internally and in such great pain or so self-obsorbed that the child committed suicide - or others that turned out to be a rapist, murderer, child molester/killer, an arsonist or other violent adult, which is not limited to those providing the signals mentioned above.

Some of the best-behaved kids can turn out to have been evolving their chosen internal or eventual external violent behavior, all while appearing to be one of the nicest and most normal kids you ever met.

And that kid that drives you crazy with witty or otherwise brilliant responses, might turn out to be a most responsible and honorable adult - perhaps some a successful and famous comedian or movie star.

All walks toward adulthood ride the school bus - the best to come and the worst to come.

The school bus represents a unique place for early intervention, unlike anywhere else including the classroom.

This would certainly be one reason school bus drivers ought be trained in violence prevention and how to control the environment, not the kids - to encourage and enforce, not discipline or punish, and authorized to immediately refuse to transport any student refusing to follow directions or are otherwise disrespectful.

Kids demonstrating behavior not consistent with expectations in a crowded and controlled environment are communicating something that ought to be referred on for more professional evaluation and resolution before allowed back on the bus.

I once requested a violent child be given a psyc-eval by a competent professional before allowed back on the school bus. The child was removed from the bus for the remainder of the school year. One of the issues was that apparently the child was hurting beyond self-control because the child's father whom that child loved dearly had recently died.

Apparently the child needed help dealing with that loss from an experienced professional. In any case the child's ability to cope in a crowded environment had been compromised. And not all the layman's understanding and empathy one might appropriately lend could resolve that child's suffering.

So yes - and at the risk of dispute from professionals in the field concerning my concepts in this mater - yes, all adults involved with children should acquire some expertise in the field consistent with behaviorists concepts or violence prevention training.

To finish up quickly, a perhaps-greater expertise involves both the TD and the bus drivers ability to lead in an effective, ethical and honorable manner. It may help an effective TD to have been a school bus driver – may help a lot – but that experience does not come close to meeting some of the most important requirements a professional TD must possess. A college degree in something can be a useful credential and knowing how to make a budget is a useful skill, but these are hardly the most important wants.

Some things can be learned rather quickly, such as budgeting, but natural street smarts at working with people and marketing skills can outpace a college degree by far. One of the things I would look for in a TD would be a strong sales background. I would prefer those skills over that of credentials presented from a college grad.

TD's ought make themselves experts at delegating and at developing interdependent relationships with their school bus drivers, as well as both trained on how to develop interdependent relationships with children riding the buses, school staff and parents.

"Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out."

And this:

"Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall."

And this:

"A cardinal principle of Total Quality escapes too many managers: you cannot continuously improve interdependent systems and processes until you progressively perfect interdependent, interpersonal relationships."

And this one:

"Independent thinking alone is not suited to interdependent reality. Independent people who do not have the maturity to think and act interdependently may be good individual producers, but they won't be good leaders or team players. They're not coming from the paradigm of interdependence necessary to succeed in marriage, family, or organizational reality."

These are a few concepts presented by Stephen Covey in these books, "The seven habits of highly effective people," and "The Eighth Habit.

Reading his books and further study in this area is a good start for any TD, bus driver or other involved adult that wants to eventually become a leader that pulls people towards successful outcomes, rather than a bully that pushes people around.

Some employers like a bully in charge of their transportation department. They perceive that such get the job done quickly and efficiently, apparently not aware of the damage such cause to the business, including the excessive costs involved with employee health issues, violence on the job, and the loss of the best employees unwilling to tolerate a bully having authority over them.

The TD can be a great asset that maintains the glue that holds the department together and provides the opportunities to his or her subordinates for growth toward greatness -- or the TD can be the primary instigator of the hostile workplace representative of an immature TD that never grew up.

Employers do have a choice concerning who they want in charge of their transportation department. Sometimes they make the wrong choices, be it inadvertently or by design.

Some decisions have consequences. Knowing what decisions to make when needed is the mark of a great employer and a great TD - keeping that ladder leaning against the right wall helps both to prevail in these maters. (jk)

"The community stagnates without the impulse of the individual. The impulse dies away without the sympathy of the community." --William James

Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

Edited by - JK on 11/19/2006 2:27:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

buslady-582
Advanced Member

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  9:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same type of "corner cutting person" is present in every profession. It has to do with the INTEGRITY of the individual....not exterior factors for the most part.

Bus Nut

see my " Buster" #582
1994 BB TC2000

http://home.new.rr.com/buslady582/mybus.JPG
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000