New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nell65

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  4:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening everyone!

I have been reading everything I can lately to see how I can move up the ladder. I am a driver-10 years experience(took 11 off to raise kids and recently returned to driving). I got my college degree while I was home in Business/Hospitality-Tourism Management-AAS at the local community college. Did some more towards a BA-I have about 85 total credits.

Now that I am back in the business, I find I do want to do more in the transportation field. What should I think about as my first jumpoff point? What should I think about starting with? I did do a bit of dispatching way back when I did summer work for a private contractor. I'd really like to get my SBDI-eventually Master Instructor status. Problem is that our district I work for has always been top heavy with 19-A and SBDI's. There is little chance I'll be able again to go that route unless I switch district/outfits.

Any suggestions? I would really like to make a good go of it this go around and go up that proverbial ladder.

Thanks!
Nell

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  01:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your use of lingo leaves your post a bit confusing to read.

Is it a trainer's position, dispatch, transportation director or an assistant TD position you are seeking? If your current employer is top heavy, then can you move to another area, perhaps even to another state?

I've wondered on occasion if there is a network for TD's, trainers and bus drivers like there is for administrators and teachers. Most school districts have Websites with job information and the state dept. of ed. often has links to school districts. Could start searching those sites for openings in areas that interest you.
Hope this helps. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 12/17/2006 01:45:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  04:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, the ability to get along well with students, parents, administrators, office staff, and everyone else is the most important attribute. The second most important is the ability to organize an operation so it runs economically and efficiently.

I'd suggest learning all there is to scheduling school buses. If they have a computer system, volunteer to help with it and put in the time to learn to operate it well. If they are disorganized, go (on your own time, if necessary) to an operation that has a reputation for a smooth operation. Once in the office, you will learn most of what you need by osmosis. Treat everyone with respect and show a sense of humor - while remaining a professional. Don't whine or complain - treat all problems as opportunities. Be very familiar with all company, union or school district rules and regulations. If an opportunity to become a trainer arises, jump on it!

If you are seen as a team player and you have all the skills needed to run an operation, you'll be sought after. The only catch is that management opportunities may not be in your back yard and you may have to consider a move.

Best Wishes!

John

Edited by - John Farr on 12/17/2006 04:51:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nell65

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  09:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by JK

Your use of lingo leaves your post a bit confusing to read.

Is it a trainer's position, dispatch, transportation director or an assistant TD position you are seeking? If your current employer is top heavy, then can you move to another area, perhaps even to another state?

I've wondered on occasion if there is a network for TD's, trainers and bus drivers like there is for administrators and teachers. Most school districts have Websites with job information and the state dept. of ed. often has links to school districts. Could start searching those sites for openings in areas that interest you.
Hope this helps. (jk)

JK,

Unfortunately as of now a move to another state is out since I still have a elderly parent nearby. I guess what I was eluding to was what is the next position I should try for? What is the next best step after being a driver?

I've looked at our area-everything here for hiring comes through BOCES or a Civil Service test. I've been keeping my eye out to see what is coming up. I tried years ago to get a job with A&E when they came to our area-but even after a good interview(I heard nothing but positives during it), I never heard anything from them at all(even sent my thank you letter).

As to networking here-it's non existant. Drivers from other districts don't associate with each other because we are never placed in say a training session together. Maybe you'll have a chance if they offer the 30 hour training session to become a driver.

I'll keep my eyes open and see what comes up.

Nell

Edited by - Nell65 on 12/17/2006 09:30:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nell65

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  09:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Farr

In my opinion, the ability to get along well with students, parents, administrators, office staff, and everyone else is the most important attribute. The second most important is the ability to organize an operation so it runs economically and efficiently.

I'd suggest learning all there is to scheduling school buses. If they have a computer system, volunteer to help with it and put in the time to learn to operate it well. If they are disorganized, go (on your own time, if necessary) to an operation that has a reputation for a smooth operation. Once in the office, you will learn most of what you need by osmosis. Treat everyone with respect and show a sense of humor - while remaining a professional. Don't whine or complain - treat all problems as opportunities. Be very familiar with all company, union or school district rules and regulations. If an opportunity to become a trainer arises, jump on it!

If you are seen as a team player and you have all the skills needed to run an operation, you'll be sought after. The only catch is that management opportunities may not be in your back yard and you may have to consider a move.

Best Wishes!

John

Hi John,

I totally agree that you have got to have good people skills to be in any management position. You have a lot of different personality types to deal with on a daily basis and have to be able to communicate well with them.

I did a internship when I was in college(graduated in 2001) with our local LOOP system. I did some mystery riding to evaluate drivers during their runs. Set up interviews for potential employees, office work and answering the phones. It was enlightening to say the least.

I also volunteered with my kids district's transportation advisory committee. I got a copy of the Vers-Trans program and learned how to use that. At the district I work for again it seems there are a lot of hands involved now and I'd have to talk with other districts or possibly a contractor to see about that volunteer work. But that's a good idea-hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for a great suggestions and ideas how to proceed to the next level.

Nell
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  12:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nell65

... I guess what I was eluding to was what is the next position I should try for? What is the next best step after being a driver?

Sorry to hear that you have an elderly parent nearby that needs assistance and glad to know someone that cares to be available to family. Keep looking, do daily research and listen to John Farr. He has considerable expertise in a variety of areas, especially the topic here. Beg em', pay em' or copy him. You can expect to go far when following Farr's counsel. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Go to Top of Page

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  08:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, I agree with every bit of advice. I was a bus driver at our school for many years, 18 to be exact, before I became the TD. If there was an opportunity to receive any kind of training or become a trainer I volunteered for it. Many times it required me being away from my family for a week at a time, but I felt it was worth it in the long run. I became our driver trainer which was a weeks course. I became an instructor, certified to teach CPR and First AID which is required by all bus drivers in our state. I became an instructor, certified to teach the Driver Improvment Course which is also required for all drivers in our state. They were also week long courses and I have to recertify every 3 years. Since all of these classes were held several hour drive from my home, I had to stay and be away from my family.
I volunteered to teach the safety classes that are required by our state to be held 10 times each year. The TD at the time hated to do the safety classes so he jumped at the chance to have me do them. I took every class I could about bus safety, etc. I became familiar with every law, rule and regulation pertaining to school buses in my state. This also helped me when I taught safety classes and Driver Improvement classes all over my area to bus drivers. If they asked me the proper procedure or the law pertaining to buses, I wanted to be able to give them the most educated answer possible.
When the job of Transportation Director came available, my training and all of the other things I had done got me the job. I also attended many meetings our state pupil transportation association held and helped with state rodeo's, etc. As I got to know many of the other TD's around the state, I gained so much knowledge from them. Many of them had been TD's for many years in large and small facilities and had gained so much knowledge and was more than willing to share.
I agree, people skills are very important as you will be dealing with bus drivers, aides, mechanics, PARENTS, students, teachers, administrators, board members. This can be the most stressful part of your job.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000