New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  08:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you met any really cool people as you traveled? We're traveling right now and my wife and I met a couple on the ferry from the Outer Banks to the mainland (NC) the other day that were DELIGHTFUL. They were over from Hamburg, Germany....but what was unusual was that they were traveling the USA and Canada in their own Type-A motorhome!

It was a diesel-powered Kharmann "Missouri" made by Volkswagen....smallish, by US standards, but VERY nice. It was neat to see the Euro specs and German license plates on a ferry in North Caccolacky! They had it shipped across the Atlantic to Baltimore...then flew over and started driving. They had been from Baltimore to the West Coast via Big Bend in Texas...Grand Canyon....Las Vegas....LA and up the Pacific Coast. They even drove the entire Alaskan Highway! They've been on the road for 5 months now....and were on their final leg back to Baltimore to ship their RV home.

They both spoke perfect English and the wife and I hated to see the ferry dock and the converstaion end. 2.5 hours had gone by in what seemed like 5 minutes!

Anybody remember meeting cool folks on the "road" (air, land, or sea)?

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  11:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've met quite a few interesting people from all over the world, it's one of the things I love about cruising. (the standard 7-day caribbean cruise is mostly Americans so you have to go on longer or more exotic itineraries to have a more diverse group) I still communicate via email with a couple from Belgium that I met a few years back. I've had lunch with quite a few people from Eastern European countries but the language barrier can sometimes make things difficult. Most of the people I've met from Japan are well travelled and are very fluent in the English language.

I have a two week cruise scheduled for October, I'm most looking forward to the three week cruise in January. That will be Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires so it should have a large amount of foreigners onboard.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  12:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll get to meet them when I move to Germany in a couple of months.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000