Transmission Fluid Levels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  3:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just checked the transmission fluid level in my '93 Bluebird, it has the AT545, and it was a bit below the "add" level on the dip stick. I checked it in neutral and running at idle (about 600 rpm) because that's what it said to do on the dip stick. So I'm going to add some more fluid before I drive it again. My question is: How much do you need to add to a 545 to get it from the "add" to the "full" mark? I don't want to overfill it. Are you supposed to add it with a funnel through that little tube that the dip stick goes into, or is there another "fill" hole that would be easier to add it through?

Also.... how much oil do you need to add to a DTA360 to get the oil level from the "add" to the "full" mark?

Thanks.

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  3:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me re-phrase that. Your trans reading will change quite a bit from a cold trans to one that is warmed up to operating temperature. Some of the older sticks actually had a different mark for "full cold," but the most accurate reading is at operating temp. Hope that makes more sense.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  4:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mine actually has a level for "hot" and a level for "cold" and it was down quite a bit from where it should be for a cold tranny.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  5:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

On most large diesels the engine oil range is 2 quarts (from add to full), but you can start by adding one quart if you want and then checking it. You also need to wait about 5 to 10 minutes on a large diesel as the oil will take some time to seep down. It's easy to overfill if you don't wait a few minutes to let oil drain down, esp. after running it.

As for the tranny, our international has a mark near the bottom of the stick for the cold fill that says 72 degrees on it. The best way to do it is to drive it good and hard for 15 to 20 miles. Transmissions take far longer to warm up than engines do. You can feel the fluid on the end of the stick to see if it's good and warm when you check it. Usually it's good practice to shift through the gears and then check it in neutral and idling. As long as you are above the add mark with it warm, I wouldn't add any as too much will cause foaming of the fluid. Check to see that's it's a nice pink color and idsn't brown looking or burnt smelling. If you are below the add mark, I would add 1 quart and drive it around for at least a mile or two to work it down. If its still below the add, put in another quart. You could prob do 2 quarts here, but if you want to be safe you can do one at a time. It's not necessary to have the fluid all the way to the full mark unless you are sure the fluid is good and hot, but I prefer being at least halfway up the safe range if I know it's reasonably warm.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  6:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well tonight I took the bus out for a nice long drive, stopped at a gas staion, and checked the transmission fluid level when it was good and warm, and it registered just fine on the dip stick. Thanks for your input... I'm certainly happy I didn't go and just put more fluid in the other day!

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  07:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.allisontransmission.com/publications/salesservice_listings.jsp?ModelGrouping=bus&PublicationType=All Browse this site, lots of downloadable PDFs.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000