New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  3:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When our new 1993 GMC Bluebirds showed up, I found that the previous school district left their complete maintence records inside the buses. The buses have 366 engines and Allison at545 trannys.

I was very suprised when i read them to discover that every year since they were new, they had drained the transmission and changed both filters. They had also changed the plugs, distrubutor cap, rotor and air filter. Also every 6000 miles they pulled the wheels and serviced the bearings and put on new seals. There was not one time that they went over 3,000 miles on the oil changes.

All the transmission are originals, and have nice pink looking fluid and not a sign of a burnt smell.

Is this similar to most districst maintence schedules?

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  4:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Those buses seem very well taken care of.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  5:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Back in the day when I was working on buses we would change the oil, trans fluid, trans filters every summer. We would still go through AT545s like water. When they would die the fluid would still be pink and not smell burnt at all. Im not sure what the problem with them was.
As far as the few gasers we had, we wouldnt change the plugs, cap , rotor untill they started missing. The 3 years that I was there we never touched them.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  5:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here the ALL buses including spares have their own schedules created anually with the date, time and location of service. They are scheduled every 30 days of service, so weekends are exempt. It is actually really cool how they have everything organized like that. Here our AT 545's in our Thomas ER's with CATs die frequently!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000