New School Buses Built for Safety, Comfort
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  7:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New School Buses Built for Safety, Comfort

By Ian Shapira
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 11, 2005; Page PW01

There is a prevailing stereotype that the driver's seat on a school bus is an immovable chair from which a driver strains to reach various switches, all the while monitoring a feisty group of children in the back.

That scenario has grown less common over the last decade (save for student mischief) as school districts in Northern Virginia have replaced older buses with sleeker, safer versions that are more comfortable.

Sue Waters, vehicle records clerk for Prince William County schools, and Abraham *ey, a bus mechanic, pose with one of the county's new C2 buses. The new buses are sleeker, safer and more comfortable than older models. (Courtesy Prince William County Schools)
In Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties, school district transportation officials said that new buses purchased for the coming academic year will eventually boost the retention and recruitment of drivers. Large school districts buy at least a few new buses, which cost $60,000 to $80,000 each, almost every year. The latest models feature ergonomically advanced driver's seats, transportation officials said.

Prince William and Loudoun have bought several of the new model, called C2, that is being manufactured by Thomas Built Buses of North Carolina with numerous bells and whistles. As with many passenger cars, the driver's seat in the C2 offers lumbar support and can be moved up and down. The steering column is adjustable, and the dashboard has several controls within easy reach -- such as the warning light that goes on during a stop. The windshield is longer and wider, without a metal divider running down the middle, and provides a more expansive view.

"The old thought is that bus driver seats are a big wide-open area with lots of gauges and switches without rhyme or reason," said Lenny Bernstein, president-elect of the National Association for Pupil Transportation, a group based in Albany, N.Y. "But now the driver feels like they're getting into the cockpit of an airplane. When they get into the driver's seat of a school bus now, they feel like they're in command of a major vessel."

Buses have undergone rapid technological changes since the days when drivers reached to pull a lever to open the doors. Today, most bus doors open with the push of a button. Transmissions are automatic, rather than manual, and the buses often have air conditioning.

School buses usually are replaced every 10 to 15 years and last for about 250,000 miles.

"In older buses, when there was no seat adjustment at all, you had to make do. A lot of times, we had to put wooden blocks on the pedals" to help drivers who couldn't reach them, said Michael Lunsford, transportation director for the Loudoun school system, which will try out the new C2 bus this coming school year.

"The C2 is the first bus that's using car-level technology," Lunsford said. "I've talked to other school officials, and they've got a number of them. So far, everyone has glowing reports. I think they've raised the bar, and other manufacturers are going to have to pick up this technology."

Fairfax school officials are also buying new buses for the school year, although not C2 models. Instead, they are buying 110 buses made by AmTran Corp. that have door controls on the steering wheel, two-way radios mounted in front of the driver instead of overhead, and a panel to the driver's left for lights and heaters.

"Manufacturers are tending to pay more attention to the needs of drivers, as we recognize that drivers are a critical part of this industry," said Linda Farbry, transportation director for Fairfax County schools, where there are nearly 200 driver vacancies for the upcoming academic year. "New buses probably help more with the retention of the drivers. After you've driven a bus for a while, you begin to recognize some of the flaws."

In Prince William, school transportation director Ed Bishop touted the C2 model for its tighter turning radius. With the region's many subdivisions, a maneuverable bus comes in handy.

"They have a 40 percent smaller turning radius than other buses. While you can't spin them on a dime, you can more easily get into tight places like small cul-de-sacs without backing up," Bishop said. "I would say backing up is one of the more dangerous maneuvers on a school bus."

From www.washingtonpost.com

Looks Like the new IC FE's and RE's will have the warning lights in the steering wheel next year, because here in Fairfax we only buy Front and Rear engines, NO types C's around here! I am excited to see what IC's 2007 models will bring, we currently have the 2006 models, and they began coming just in Febrary, so next year must be the 2007's?

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  9:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its all very true. Buses have come such a long way in just the past couple of years. Just think what the near future will bring.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  07:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They mentioned having to put blocks on the pedals in order for drivers to reach them on some of the old buses. The 80's Chevy bus we had with a manual transmission had to have a block put on the clutch pedal in order for many of us shorter drivers to reach it.

The first bus I drove was a 73 model Wayne/IHC, while it was an advanced bus in the year it came out (new Wayne body design) I think most drivers today would refuse to drive such a vehicle. No power steering, a manual transmission, a hydraulic emergency brake that you could hardly reach and a mirror system that doesn't come close to what we have today.

"The C2 is the first bus that's using car-level technology," Lunsford said. "I've talked to other school officials, and they've got a number of them. So far, everyone has glowing reports. I think they've raised the bar, and other manufacturers are going to have to pick up this technology."

Well said!

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  11:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's cool That IC is getting controls on the steerling wheel. only if they put radio controls on the sterling wheel like my bro's accord has. It looks like FCPS won't be getting Blue Birds for a while or never.

I had no idea that lcps was going to buy new conventionals.

The HDX I believe offers power adjustable pedals.

Edited by - Drew19 on 08/16/2005 11:27:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  12:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's cool That IC is getting controls on the steerling wheel.

Keep in mind, the 2005+ IC CEs are already equipped with a warning light switch and entrance door switch on the steering wheel as standard equipment. This is not available on the transits quite yet. We will probably see this feature on those buses within the next two years.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  12:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

quote:
That's cool That IC is getting controls on the steerling wheel.

Keep in mind, the 2005+ IC CEs are already equipped with a warning light switch and entrance door switch on the steering wheel as standard equipment. This is not available on the transits quite yet. We will probably see this feature on those buses within the next two years.

I know that but im saying that for the transits.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know that but im saying that for the transits.

Yes, I completely understand that. I just wanted to point out you won't be seeing this feature on those buses for a little while yet.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The conrtols being integrated into the steering wheels of the IC transit FE and RE lines must be coming out this year because our next batch of IC RE's and FE's come around February!
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The conrtols being integrated into the steering wheels of the IC transit FE and RE lines must be coming out this year because our next batch of IC RE's and FE's come around February!

Nope, I don't think they will be out that soon.

I believe the switches on the steering wheel for the IC transits will come out once they redesign the driver's area to resemble their CE. That's why I made the reference of "within the next two years." I am almost 100% sure the driver's areas won't be redesigned by the time your next batch of buses arrive in Fairfax. I am thinking it will be done for their 2007 model year. I think that's when we will see the more "drastic" changes, such as the steering wheel switch placement.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, so our nect batch will look like our 06's are there any differences? Like there is something LITTLE each year!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a nice thing to find in the newspaper!

"Manufacturers are tending to pay more attention to the needs of drivers, as we recognize that drivers are a critical part of this industry," --Isn't that the truth?

I remember very fondly the buses I grew up on (and got to drive later)...the late 70 and early 80s Saf-t-Liner pushers. Considered the cadillac of thier day so I'm told. A few of the lady drivers had to sit on the edge of the VERY hard to adjust seat and strain keep the pedal to the floor (only way they'd go 55). Then if they would want to reach a swtich on the top row (they were overhead) then that could require stopping and standing! *I'm not kidding...a few drivers had to do this.

Now...let's check the transmission fluid. Get the step ladder, lean over the hot engine with it's spinning pulleys and belts, reach DOWN DOWN DOWN in the back and pull the dipstick! Good luck in not getting killed.

I'm afraid a lot of people don't understand just how nice these new buses are and don't appreciate them!

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  7:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ok, so our nect batch will look like our 06's are there any differences? Like there is something LITTLE each year!

Your next batch will pretty much be identical to what you have now. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few enhancements made to your next order. You may see some changes, but I don't think you will find them inside the bus.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  7:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So what type of exterior changes are you talking about, I am getting pretty excited!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  7:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I heard, IC will just be evening out the height of the windshield, service door, and driver's window to be even with the passenger windows.

Although I do have a feeling that we'll be seeing some more changes... but I'm not sure yet.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  7:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
From what I heard, IC will just be evening out the height of the windshield, service door, and driver's window to be even with the passenger windows.

Although I do have a feeling that we'll be seeing some more changes... but I'm not sure yet.

Yes, I think you're right, Richard. That's what I was referring to anyway. However, I intended to leave the changes as a surprise.

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 08/16/2005 7:36:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  06:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Solano

Thats gonna be one mighty tall drivers side window. I think this will help out though with the appearance of the windshield because currently the filler panel above the windshield and below the roof cap visually makes the bus look to tall and slightly awkward. Sort of reminds me of those TC2000 raised floor models Blue Bird used to make like this one featured on Ryans Page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/

Edited by - Jared on 08/17/2005 06:28:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  7:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, IC needs to make their windshields larger, because our high headroom and low headroom models still have the same size windshields, but the low headroom buses look more normal, but I do like the 78 inches because the windows are taller, and there is a lot more room in the cab. But Jared, the Blue Bird looks extreme! That will be a nice change brought upon the IC's!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  2:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! I didn't know that Prince William is getting C2's! I thought that they had put the days of Type C buses behind them.

So our 2007 buses are going to be the re-done ones! I can't wait!!!!
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  3:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, Loudoun is getting i think it said 11 or 12 C2's
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  3:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really? My buddy in Loudoun told me when they released the C2 that they weren't all that interested in it.
Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  5:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can ring up 3 special needs C-2's for Arlington County Schools also.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am moving over to the Virginia School Buses thread to countinue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000