New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  7:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you guys have them? Our major yards have these mirror adjustment "ranges" with poles and yellow bumps on the pavement in strategic spots. Training Center personnel man these things and EVERY driver has to go through it and get a paper signed off by Sept 15. They have a mechanic on duty there too because on the old buses the mirror bolts are usually frozen.

It's a pain in the neck! Already crowded yards become total gridlock with all the buses waiting their turn on the range. I think most drivers know when their mirrors are screwed up....but I guess some don't, and since they don't know who, they put everybody through it....

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  7:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a pain to me, but it's better safe than sorry.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  7:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can't the drivers adjust it for themselves? because not every drive is the same height. Do you not have to do it if your bus has power adj mirrors?

Edited by - Drew19 on 08/30/2005 9:56:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

CountGirl
Top Member

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  10:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can the drivers go in before school starts and get this issue taken care of? Or are they going to put you through daily mirror pre-checks before you're released from lot?

I wonder if someone could come up with a way to permanently (or at least semi-permanently) come up with a way to stick the mirrors in the right spot.

Count
P.S. It has always been a practice around my area that if you whack a mirror, say with a shoulder or whatever, you let the driver know immediately, or if not immediately, leave a sign on the door saying you accidently walked into it and it needs to be adjusted to their normal position.
And on personal vehicles (the parents trucks) I always make it obvious if I have adjusted something and can't get it back into place. Maybe I adjust the seat & mirrors and can't get the mirrors back into place, I leave the seat in it's "Count position" rather than "Count's Mom/Dad position".

Hope the advice helps. But you guys probably didn't need it anyway, you don't walk into things like I do! [I can actually say I once hit a bus mirror so hard with my head I had to rise the driver from her relaxed position on the engine cover, ask her to get in her seat, and then adjust what I had hit about three times until she was satisfied. Poor 104!]

Give me a yellow object. Yes. Right now. I need my yellow chocolate, for goodness sake!
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  12:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a pain in the rear. But I guess it's better safe than sorry like thomas86 said.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  04:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Count, it is not an everyday practice, it is just at the beginning of the school year to make sure that all drivers mirrors are properly adjusted, and not just in a random position because the driver is too lazy to call for help.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  06:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has your county added power mirrors to the specs on the newer buses? We only have three buses so far but it is definetely worth the extra cost.

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  06:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think every '99 and newer AmTran/IC has power mirrors, which is well over half the fleet.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  07:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All of our conventionals have the double nickle mirror system from Mirror Lite, a system most drivers here seem to like however it was never offered in a power option until just recently when it also took on a new name. So should we purchase any conventionals in the future hopefully we'll be able to get that system, if not we'll probably go with the Rosco Euro's. The HDX's we spec with power mirrors, good thing because those are somewhat difficult to reach.

Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  06:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas86_a

All of our conventionals have the double nickle mirror system from Mirror Lite, a system most drivers here seem to like however it was never offered in a power option until just recently when it also took on a new name. So should we purchase any conventionals in the future hopefully we'll be able to get that system, if not we'll probably go with the Rosco Euro's. The HDX's we spec with power mirrors, good thing because those are somewhat difficult to reach.

Are those Rosco Euro's the same ones on most of the HDX's When I first saw an HDX I thought they looked like crab legs.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Rosco Eurostyle are the ones found on most IC products. Although, isnt the HDX Integra style mirror developed by both Thomas and Rosco?

=
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As BusFreak mentioned the Rosco Euro style is the mirror setup used by IC as the standard mirror, it has the flat and convex in one unit, Thomas also uses this as an option on the FS-65, EF, and C2.

The mirror system on the HDX is made by Rosco, Thomas was looking for a more modern looking mirror system that incorporated all of the mirrors, reducing the "jungle gym" effect that is seen on other transits with the mulitple mirror posts up front. This mirror system is called the "integra" your flat, convex, and crossover mirror are all in one single unit.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000