New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My district pays 2 hours for you to practice your runs so you know what's happenin on the first day of school (Sept 6 here).....

They want you to run your routes in your bus, but I refuse! All I need is to take a wrong turn and get my arse in a situation where I take out a few mailboxes trying to get that thing outta here! To make matters worse......one of my (2) elementary runs is in a brand new 'hood that ain't in the map book (even the $12.95, 2005 edition!!!)

Soooooo, what I got planned for tommorrow, (if it quits raining) is to fire up my '99 FatBoy and kill two birds with one stone (test ride, I just replaced the exhaust valve on the back hole). But anyway, I'll have a pad in my breast pocket to make notes (green mailbox with 2 pink flamingos around it, LOL). I don't know how you guys feel about it, but I MUST practice my runs.....I DO NOT want ANY surprises on "opening day"! And I have NO qualms about burning my own gas to do it......(but I was gonna ride that Harley tomorrow anyway!)

Discuss

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  02:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well how it works here is all contractors have to run their route and set up their times manually and then call all the parents.

Tomorrow my contractor and I will go out and run my route and set up my times and look for a couple new houses. Luckly my route mostly covers developments so I have the same stops each year. I only have like 3 houses I actually pick up infront of with a toal of 10 stops. I fill up quick with my usally stops being 15 students at a time can get hard getting them in an assigned seat fast the first day.

None of us get paid for the time we spend calling parents, the gas used to run the routes and check them at all. It's all on our own expenses. Our contractors don't get paid till their buses start rolling and neithier do the drivers. But usally the contrators do something nice for their drivers to make it up later on like my is taking her drivers out tonight to get crabs.

SInce I have a new bus I will go out in my bus before Sept. 6th and run the route and some other roads just to get a feel for the thing so I am not out there making a fool of myself.

I also will use my own gas to run a route dosen't bother me I want to know what I am doing when I have extra runs after school I usally go set it up myself anyway and then run it instead of getting my contractor involved she just ride one day with me on the bus so incase I ever can't drive she'll know what to do.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

VAdriver

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  06:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have to do dry runs in our buses as well. My middle school/high school run is the same as last year but I do have an elementary school run this year as well. I did it first in my car so I could check the roads, etc. I don't have any turn arounds so that's not a worry. I did have a hard time finding finding some of the addresses (why can't people put their addresses on BOTH sides of the mailboxes?) and I couldn't really slow to look with traffic on my bumper. I did my dry run in my bus on Tuesday and I'm glad I did since I lost all air pressure in my door and had to take it in to get it fixed. I finally completed my dry run on Friday and was able to find most of the addresses. We start school tomorrow. My bus is clean and shiny inside and out but I figure it won't last long with the storm heading our way. Good luck to everyone on a GREAT school year!
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  06:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We go back this week for refreshers, discussion with the supervisor, superintendent's conference and dry runs. Our kids start the 6th. That way everybody can check out their bus (and looking at the fuel gauges on the ones I brought back to the lot--fuel them) and get acquainted with their new run. Even people who are driving the same run as last year will have changes so they should take a ride and see what is different.

Be careful out there all you who drive down south, looks like a doozy headed your way! We usually get the tail end of things here but they are forecasting heavy rain even all the way up here on Wednesday. Maybe my group that I have been taking to the beach will decide not to go. But that would be too convenient for me!

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  09:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had dry runs on Monday and Tuesday. We were allowed to take our buses out and drive them. On Monday I took my bus out and drove it, and I mostly knew all the roads so I wasn't afraid to take the bus anywhere. Tomorrow is our first day of school.

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  09:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL about numbers on mailboxes, VaDriver! Heck, I'd settle for numbers on ONE side! It always cracks me up in my very afflent area that these folks can pay millions for their houses but can't afford 5 bucks to put their house number on the mailbox.....
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  10:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We recieved our routes at our safety meeting last Tuesday. We get paid 1 hr for the meeting and 1hr for a dry run. This is my first year of driving so I did the the routes in my car first, and then went back again with the bus. I have gone over the routes several times afterwards with my car on my own time and I have the routes down, I am just having a hard time finding the stops and remembering them, and I agree, it is very hard to drive slow down a street with a list in one hand, the wheel in the other and a long line of cars riding on your rear. Half of the houses either don't have numbers or the numbers are so small, they can't be read even from a slow moving car. The other drivers from my yard told me not to worry about it because the kids will be out waiting at the stops, but there is rain in the forecast and I don't want to miss anyone who is not out by the road waiting, plus in the afternoon the route is reversed so everything is shifted.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

CountGirl
Top Member

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  11:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here drivers are given their routes (this year will be the same as last year, so that should be easier for them) and it's up to them when to "dry run" and "car run". IC I'm happy that you're gonna take care of two things at once, it's nice to know you're putting "your kids" before the price of fuel. But I hear those Harleys get good mileage, so...

Usually drivers here do a few car runs before they do a dry run with the bus, and expect to see the bus about twice before opening day. What also helps is the fact that our start days are staggered, with the K-9 loading on the first day, and the 10-12 [what ones that don't drive] joining the next day.

Don't worry about the finite art of house numbers; where there is a kid, expect a kid needing to be transported to school. [Notice I did not say wanting to be transported to school.] I have been riding the bus for 12 years from the same stop, for 9 years it was the same wrong address, but the school bus still found me every year and every day.
Count

Give me a yellow object. Yes. Right now. I need my yellow chocolate, for goodness sake!

Edited by - CountGirl on 08/28/2005 11:02:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  09:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's smart doing dry runs in your bus vs. a car. Doing the run in a car is quite different from doing them in a bus. If they ask that you do it in a bus, I would just go ahead and do that.
Go to Top of Page

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  12:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are a couple reasons for doing your dry runs that haven't been mentioned.
Most drivers haven't been behind the wheel all summer. It is a refresher for you, the driver. If you make a wrong turn, so what! Better before school begins than the first day. If this years route is a new one for you and your contractor/district doesn't supply you with a map, find a city map somewhere. Most telephone books have one.
Another reason...which is a huge plus...is getting the public ready to see those big yellow buses on the road again.
May each of you have His protection around your fleet this year.
Sandie
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  4:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nahhhh.....NO WAY I'm using the bus for dry runs....they only tell you to because they don't want to pay mileage in drivers' POVs. I already know how to drive the bus (sort of)....I just need to find the stops! Plus, I make LOTS of notes and then write up my own lefts and rights. That requires lots of pulling over to write, and you can't pull over just anywhere in the bus.

The only downside to using you own vehicle is what happened to me last year. I had runs in this really ritzy neighborhood and I was cruising back and forth in my pick-up and somebody called the cops on me.....they thought I was a burgler casing the joint! I showed the cop all my bus drivin stuff and he let me go LOL.

PS: Sandie, you have a safe and happy year too!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  4:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope your runs aren't in my neighborhood. We've got some people on my street who will call the cops for anything. Even the slightest little thing.

Anyhow, back to the discussion of dry runs......
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  6:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw tons of our spec ed buses today, I don't know why, and they were all Amtran Genesis, they were in my neighborhood, I am guessintg doing dry runs?
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  10:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do my dry runs in a bus, with my voice-activated tape recorder. No need to write down mileage or notes about stops......simply listen to the tape later and write it down while ignoring the husband laughing at me.
Go to Top of Page

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  10:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sam...I was hoping someone would mention the tape recorder solution. I keep a small, palm-sized digital recorder in my desk. The drivers know they are free to use it when needed if they don't have their own. Works well, especially for our longer routes.
Have a wonderful year :-)
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  3:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sam! Swell idea to get a tape recorder. I'll probably still use my own vehicle for dry runs but it will still be easier than pulling over to write notes.

Only problem is I CRINGE when I hear my own voice on tape....Hate it!!!
Go to Top of Page

bustroy

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  4:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We also get paid for 2 hours of dry run time. We dont use are buses for it though. And we started back to school on Aug 30th.

Driver Trainer
Go to Top of Page

dmoney127
Advanced Member

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  9:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Send dmoney127 an AOL message  Send dmoney127 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Another reason is that you can find mechanical issues with the fleet, giving the shop a little time to get everything to A+ condition!

I had mine today, and 5 AM came really early :)

My route is all rural in the part of town (or outside of town) that I grew up in, so getting lost was no sweat. Plus, I drove the route a couple of times last year, and it's not too much different. I'll have to work on getting the times straightened out a bit-the front half of the route you have to drive about 15mph in order to not get ahead, and then the rest you have to pick up the pace a bit to not fall behind. I'm sure I'll be glad for the extra time when fog comes!

An added bonus is that my HS route has a late start once per month, so there's the chance to get a bit more sleep :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000